1. 1. Hemispheres VS Clockwork Angels

Clockwork Angels by a mile.

Hemispheres is just not their best work. Overcooked. Vocals are a tad annoying

Ok mate, we get it!! :LOL:

Sorry bro. I was posting from my Obama-phone. It's quirky like that

• Like 1

Overcooked? Seriously? Cant just throw out intelligent sounding adjectives to support your case. Clockwork Angels sound quality is not even close to Hemispheres

• Like 3

Ok mate, we get it!! :LOL:

Sorry bro. I was posting from my Obama-phone. It's quirky like that

Why do I always get the two of you mixed up... I was amused when I saw Turbine Freight "liking" the posts about CA being overrated, thinking he was you, since you have said that CA is your favorite...

Overcooked? Seriously? Cant just throw out intelligent sounding adjectives to support your case. Clockwork Angels sound quality is not even close to Hemispheres

True. The material saves it though (save for the already terminally obnoxious BU2B).

Edited by len(songs)
  • Like 1

I think Hemispheres could be improved if the track order was reversed so it would be like this:

Side 1:

La Villa Strangiato

The Trees

Circumstances

Side 2:

Hemispheres

That big epic should be the "finale" and would the slow buildup of La Villa would be a great and interesting way to start off the album. The way it is it feels somewhat anticlimatic. That big suite should be something the album builds up to not the other way around. Rush effed up.

I think Hemispheres could be improved if the track order was reversed so it would be like this:

Side 1:

La Villa Strangiato

The Trees

Circumstances

Side 2:

Hemispheres

That big epic should be the "finale" and would the slow buildup of La Villa would be a great and interesting way to start off the album. The way it is it feels somewhat anticlimatic. That big suite should be something the album builds up to not the other way around. Rush effed up.

But... then it wouldn't be right after Book I :bitchslap:

Side 1:

La Villa Strangiato

The Trees

Circumstances

Side 2:

Hemispheres

But... then it wouldn't be right after Book I :bitchslap:

So what. There's such as thing as intermissions. Or even commerical breaks. The Trees could play out like some filler cartoon shorts in between the main features. You really need to punch me over this? Did The Necromancer directly follow By-Tor in the track listings? What about the Fear series?

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

I wonder if Neil already had the entire "story" planned out when he wrote Book I or if he just called it that and made up the rest of the story later. The relationship between the "Books" is very loose and it feels like he had to throw Cygnus into Book II to make some kind of connection with Book I. Neil was most likely taking the George Lucas approach with this "story".
  • Like 1

Clockwork Angels sound quality is not even close to Hemispheres

Songs are what makes CA great...and its got 66 minutes of greatness.

It is a great album, with great songs. Whether you like the songs on Hemispheres or Clockwork Angels better is subjective, and I can respect a difference of opinion. I think the audio quality of Hemispheres is hands down better

• Like 2

It is a great album, with great songs. Whether you like the songs on Hemispheres or Clockwork Angels better is subjective, and I can respect a difference of opinion. I think the audio quality of Hemispheres is hands down better

I get that, and don't get me wrong, I like the album. I dig the musicianship especially. When I listen to CA, I'm still finding new things. The depth is astonishing.

• Like 1

Hemispheres. But it doesn't mean that I think CA the lesser of the two. They're both brilliant respectively, and CA's my 2nd favorite post-HYF album next to Counterparts. Speaking of which, I'll give CA another listen cause it's been awhile since I heard it.
  • Like 1

Clockwork Angels has 5 songs, maybe 6, that absolutely shine like stars in the Rush universe:

Caravan

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Seven Cities of Gold

Headlong Flight

The Garden

The rest of the songs are just really, really good. Sound does not present a problem for me. Like GuP, Clockwork Angels is a shift in terms of a new sonic landscapes for the band. It's new, it's fresh, and it's still Rush—with balls!

Yes. Just listened to that with this order:

La Villa Strangiato

Circumstances

The Trees

Hemispheres

Much better. I don't get overwhelmed by the title track too early and and actually anticipate it coming. La Villa is a nice smooth intro to the album, Circumstances is great as a high energy follow up and The Trees is a perfect "side A" closer.

Too bad the actual album wasn't like this. What better way to an end an album than with The Sphere?

• Like 1

Obviously hemispheres.

A better question might be to name some ways that CA is better..?

Obviously hemispheres.

A better question might be to name some ways that CA is better..?

Well I finished listening to Hemipsheres with my new track order a little while ago now I'm listening to Clockwork Angels. I'm on the second track and all I can say that's it's more enjoyable to listen to. Hemispheres may have an advantage regarding sound quality, technical instrumentation, and maybe even a "cerebral" quality to it but Clockwork Angels is just more dynamic and interesting to overall. Great music on both of them but CA (for me) is more emotional and compelling.