2014-15 NHL Season thread

The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that they have acquired defenseman Kimmo Timonen from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for a second-round choice in the 2015 National Hockey League Draft and a conditional fourth-round choice in the 2016 NHL Draft.

Additionally, the Blackhawks have placed defenseman Johnny Oduya on injured reserve (IR).

http://3.cdn.nhle.com/photos/mugs/thumb/8459670.jpg Timonen

Timonen, who has not appeared in any games this season, registered 35 points (6G, 29A) in 77 regular-season games with the Flyers last year, in addition to one assist in seven 2014 postseason contests. The Kuopio, Finland, native ranks third among active NHL defensemen with 571 points (117G, 454A) in 1,092 career NHL games across 15 seasons with Philadelphia and Nashville, in addition to 35 points (4G, 31A) in 87 career Stanley Cup Playoff appearances. The 39-year-old five-time Olympian has registered 13 points (3G, 10A) in 30 games, winning bronze medals in 1998, 2010 and 2014 and a silver medal in 2006 with Finland; he was named to the 2006 Olympic All-Star Team after posting five points (1G, 4A) in eight tilts. Timonen has also appeared in four NHL All-Star Games

===============

With Oduya going on IR, they still have more money to spend. Hopefully there is at least one more move coming.

Not sure if this is new but :facepalm:

B-upaCIVEAA3Ese.jpg

The New York Islanders aren’t about to give up their franchise’s name when the team moves to Brooklyn next season. However, it looks as if the team will have a third jersey that fits in with the colors of the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets – and that doesn’t include “Islanders” on it.

As evidence, consider that the Barclays Center has recently applied for trademarks on new logos, both of which only use the phrase “Brooklyn Hockey”, while using a black-and-white that match the Nets’ uniforms: (Via The Sporting News and Nets Daily)

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/brooklyn-hockey-barclays-center-trademarks-new-logos-before-islanders-arrival-next-season/

Bad play by Teravainen. :sigh: Lightning 1 Hawks 0

Seabrook, :wtf: Lightning 2 Hawks 0

That messes up our PK ranking. :banghead: Lightning 3 Hawks 0

It wouldn't be a Chicago-Tampa Bay game without a Stamkos goal. :eyeroll: Lightning 4 Hawks 0

Bad play by Teravainen. :sigh: Lightning 1 Hawks 0

Seabrook, :wtf: Lightning 2 Hawks 0

That messes up our PK ranking. :banghead: Lightning 3 Hawks 0

It wouldn't be a Chicago-Tampa Bay game without a Stamkos goal. :eyeroll: Lightning 4 Hawks 0

Final. 37-21-5

The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that they have acquired defenseman Kimmo Timonen from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for a second-round choice in the 2015 National Hockey League Draft and a conditional fourth-round choice in the 2016 NHL Draft.

Additionally, the Blackhawks have placed defenseman Johnny Oduya on injured reserve (IR).

http://3.cdn.nhle.com/photos/mugs/thumb/8459670.jpg Timonen

Timonen, who has not appeared in any games this season, registered 35 points (6G, 29A) in 77 regular-season games with the Flyers last year, in addition to one assist in seven 2014 postseason contests. The Kuopio, Finland, native ranks third among active NHL defensemen with 571 points (117G, 454A) in 1,092 career NHL games across 15 seasons with Philadelphia and Nashville, in addition to 35 points (4G, 31A) in 87 career Stanley Cup Playoff appearances. The 39-year-old five-time Olympian has registered 13 points (3G, 10A) in 30 games, winning bronze medals in 1998, 2010 and 2014 and a silver medal in 2006 with Finland; he was named to the 2006 Olympic All-Star Team after posting five points (1G, 4A) in eight tilts. Timonen has also appeared in four NHL All-Star Games

===============

With Oduya going on IR, they still have more money to spend. Hopefully there is at least one more move coming.

39 years old, blood clots...The upside is he hasn't played this year yet so he should be strong enough for the last quarter of the season. We'll see...

:eh: Looks like they were out of gas tonight. What do you think about the trade today Timmonen? Just getting someone to cover for Oduya? Whoops, looks like you answered my question before I could ask it.. :laughing guy: Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

I like the trade, he has been a really good blue liner in his career, it is not like he is coming back from a knee injury, he looks like he was ready to go in Philly..

It fills a need, he probably has to shake off some rust, but he is rested, he announced before the season that this is his last season, so I would expect him to go 100% on fresh legs to try to get his cup.

• Like 1

B-upaCIVEAA3Ese.jpg

The New York Islanders aren’t about to give up their franchise’s name when the team moves to Brooklyn next season. However, it looks as if the team will have a third jersey that fits in with the colors of the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets – and that doesn’t include “Islanders” on it.

As evidence, consider that the Barclays Center has recently applied for trademarks on new logos, both of which only use the phrase “Brooklyn Hockey”, while using a black-and-white that match the Nets’ uniforms: (Via The Sporting News and Nets Daily)

http://www.thehockey...al-next-season/

From NY's Newsday:

When NetsDaily.com reported that Barclays Center had applied to trademark a "Brooklyn Hockey" logo, eyebrows were raised among some Islanders followers. Brooklyn Hockey? Hmm. Might there be a movement afoot to change the name or logo of a certain team planning to move into that borough later this year?

Apparently not. Here is what Barry Baum, chief communications officer for Barclays Center, said in response to an inquiry from Newsday:

"We have a platform at Barclays Center for each of our non-core tenant businesses, including Brooklyn Hoops for college basketball, Brooklyn Boxing for boxing, Brooklyn Show for concerts, and Brooklyn Family for family entertainment.

"Brooklyn Hockey is our latest platform, which includes NCAA college hockey that will be staged at the venue. This is not an Islanders logo and has no connection to the Islanders. As promised, we are keeping the current Islanders logo and color scheme, while adding a black-and-white third jersey."

:eh: Looks like they were out of gas tonight. What do you think about the trade today Timmonen? Just getting someone to cover for Oduya? Whoops, looks like you answered my question before I could ask it.. :laughing guy:

I really don't see how Timonen can help us. Yes, he's a well known veteran, but he plays on the left side. We already have Keith, Oduya, Van Riemsdyk, Erixon, Cumiskey and Rundblad there. I was looking for someone that can play on the right. We only have Seabrook, Hjalmarsson and Rozsival over there. But hey, our managers are smarter than me, right?
  • Like 1

:eh: Looks like they were out of gas tonight. What do you think about the trade today Timmonen? Just getting someone to cover for Oduya? Whoops, looks like you answered my question before I could ask it.. :laughing guy:

I really don't see how Timonen can help us. Yes, he's a well known veteran, but he plays on the left side. We already have Keith, Oduya, Van Riemsdyk, Erixon, Cumiskey and Rundblad there. I was looking for someone that can play on the right. We only have Seabrook, Hjalmarsson and Rozsival over there. But hey, our managers are smarter than me, right?

Fair point and I hope they are not done making moves. But of the players on the left side, beyond Keith everyone else is either hurt or not as good as Timonen was last year (how he will be this year is another story)

• Like 2

Fair point and I hope they are not done making moves. But of the players on the left side, beyond Keith everyone else is either hurt or not as good as Timonen was last year (how he will be this year is another story)

I'm sure we're not done dealing. Just heard the Hawks are talking to Washington about Sharp...As far as the D-men, you can hope Oduya snaps out of it and plays better in the playoffs. Van Riemsdyk already gave us an idea of what he can do, and Keith...is Keith. I think, overall we're OK there. The same cannot be said about Rozsival. It's obvious he needs more and more rest between games and you can't have that in the playoffs. Switching Rundblad over to the right side has not worked. He's making mistakes on regular basis. That's why I wanted to get a guy to help the situation.

The Chicago Blackhawks placed defenseman Tim Erixon on waivers on Saturday.

Erixon, 24, will be assigned to the Rockford IceHogs of the AHL if another team does not claim him.

The Blackhawks acquired Erixon from the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for forward Jeremy Morin on Dec. 14. Erixon has zero points, is a plus-1 and has averaged 9:59 of ice time in eight games for the Blackhawks this season. He played in the Blackhawks’ last two games after being a healthy scratch for 16 consecutive games.

The Blackhawks’ move with Erixon comes a day after they acquired defenseman Kimmo Timonen from the Philadelphia Flyers.

===================

I hope he is not claimed, he can be of use next year. But, it clears more salary.

I really like Sharp, but if they can trade him and help out the cap next year to keep Saad, I would do it in a second

I really don't want to see Sharp go, all this salary cap stuff just messes the team up. After they won in 2010 they had to give up Niemi and Buffy and it took them a while to get it back together. Hope that is just a rumor :eh:

I like his as well ... he has done a lot for the Hawks and is a big reason why they are a top team.

But, next year someone has to go and I would prefer Saad stays and he has been pretty ineffective scoring over the past calendar year and he does not bring enough in other aspects of his game to make up for it.

I like his as well ... he has done a lot for the Hawks and is a big reason why they are a top team.

But, next year someone has to go and I would prefer Saad stays and he has been pretty ineffective scoring over the past calendar year and he does not bring enough in other aspects of his game to make up for it.

Saad is up for a new contract. Something tells me he's going to get a bunch of money. Perhaps more than the Hawks will be able to afford. We'll have quite a few kids coming up next season. That is why I find it hard to understand getting rid of players like Morin, Pirri or Hayes. Quenneville can't work with kids, Dineen can't fix the power play...Oh, yeah, there's another reason for letting Sharp go, he won't be messing up the PP with his mishaps at the point. Hawks finally decided to replace him with Teravainen yesterday and they looked good for at least one minute on the man advantage. Knowing this staff, it won't last.

I am guessing there is another D-man coming soon

Erixson, now this.

------------

The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that they have reassigned defenseman Kyle Cumiskey to the Rockford IceHogs of the American Hockey League.

Cumiskey, 28, has skated in seven games with Chicago after being recalled on Feb. 12, which includes making his Blackhawks debut on Feb. 13. The Abbotsford, British Columbia native has recorded 10 assists and 11 points in 38 games with Rockford this season.

Looks like Sharp is staying put

Chicago Blackhawks forward Patrick Sharp's agent said Saturday he has been assured by Blackhawks general Stan Bowman that Sharp isn’t on trading block despite rumors.

Rick Curran, who represents Sharp, said he spoke with Bowman on Thursday.

“I ran into Stan at the game in Florida Thursday night, and he assured me once again that he has no intention of trading Patrick Sharp,” Curran wrote in a text on Saturday.

A source told ESPN.com the Washington Capitals expressed interest in Sharp prior to Patrick Kane being injured on Tuesday. Kane suffered a broken clavicle and is expected to miss 12 weeks. Bowman has said since Kane’s injury the Blackhawks could add a forward prior to Monday’s trade deadline.

Sharp has 10 goals and 22 assists in 49 games this season. He has been with the Blackhawks since being acquired from the Philadelphia Flyers during the 2005-06 season. His contract runs through the 2016-17 season.

• Like 1

Sweet

The Chicago Blackhawks made their move to bolster their offense in the wake of the injury to Patrick Kane when they acquired center Antoine Vermette from the Arizona Coyotes on Saturday night

They gave up a 1st rounder and Dahlback .... they can probably make one more pickup if they are so inclined.

• Like 1

B-upaCIVEAA3Ese.jpg

http://www.thehockey...al-next-season/

From NY's Newsday:

When NetsDaily.com reported that Barclays Center had applied to trademark a "Brooklyn Hockey" logo, eyebrows were raised among some Islanders followers. Brooklyn Hockey? Hmm. Might there be a movement afoot to change the name or logo of a certain team planning to move into that borough later this year?

Apparently not. Here is what Barry Baum, chief communications officer for Barclays Center, said in response to an inquiry from Newsday:

"We have a platform at Barclays Center for each of our non-core tenant businesses, including Brooklyn Hoops for college basketball, Brooklyn Boxing for boxing, Brooklyn Show for concerts, and Brooklyn Family for family entertainment.

"Brooklyn Hockey is our latest platform, which includes NCAA college hockey that will be staged at the venue. This is not an Islanders logo and has no connection to the Islanders. As promised, we are keeping the current Islanders logo and color scheme, while adding a black-and-white third jersey."

Never trust these people. It's branding uber alles. To paraphrase someone...we have no need for the Islander name, it doesn't fit the brand. The third jersey will be ever more prominent, and in five years or so, they'll be called by some focus group tested name and American Royalty (Jay-Z and Beyonce) will be coming to five games a year.

The only unknown is timing...

Edited by laughedatbytime

Vermette traded to Blackhawks from Coyotes

Good score for the Hawks, but they give up their first-round pick in the 2015 draft (along with Dahlbeck).

Definitely the best player out of all the unrestricted free agents. Let's just hope he doesn't turn out to be another Richards.

The more I think about this, the more I like it. #2 Center has been a weakness on this team. Richards has been better than Handzeus was last year, but he is not the answer. With Vermette and Toews we have two centers that can win draws ,Richards moves down a line, and Kruger is a good 4th line enter. Shaw stays on the wing, Teuvo goes out on the wing where he is better at this point in his career.

The trickle effect from this move is pretty big.. I am sure there will be a feeling out period and Timonen needs to shake off some rust .. but I think this gives us a shot at a Cup run ... and I would not be surprised if they trade for one more D-man before tomorrow. There are only 6 on the roster now, they need one more.