Battlescar

toymaker

Battlescar  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is this song a true collaboration?

• Rush were just guests on this, and did not have much input.
    • Rush contributed enough of their unique qualities that it seems like a true blend of both bands.
    • Even if Rush had used these lyrics as a starting point, they would not have written a song like this.

There is absolutely NO WAY that Geddy could still sing like that in 1980. He started losing his power and control way back on the 2112 tour; just listen to some bootlegs from that era; some are great, some are pretty off. On the Farewell to Kings tour he was killing himself to hit Cygnus, and on the Hemispheres tour bootlegs he sounds like he's ready to die hitting some of those notes. He could still sing HIGH in 1980 albeit kinda softly with trepidation, but he couldn't scream out those notes effortlessly with the power he did in the early 70's...no way. "Battlescar" might have come out in 1980, but those vocals were definitely recorded earlier than that.

Sorry for bumping a year old debate, but i disagree. He had all his range and power, to me, all the way up to the Hemispheres album. Listen to the Canadian Bacon bootleg (12/10/1977), The Different Stages live album (2/20/1978) or the Providence 1978 bootleg (1/12/1978) to see that he still had it. It wasn't until the tour where he went downhill. For instance, compare 2112 from one of the bootlegs mentioned to Black Forest (5/28/1979), and you'll see.

Debating a ghost eh?

Not really.

Anyway, why do you think Geddy's voice lost it's screechy sound after 2112? He still sounds great up until Hemispheres in the studio, and the Farewell to Kings tour live.

There is absolutely NO WAY that Geddy could still sing like that in 1980. He started losing his power and control way back on the 2112 tour; just listen to some bootlegs from that era; some are great, some are pretty off. On the Farewell to Kings tour he was killing himself to hit Cygnus, and on the Hemispheres tour bootlegs he sounds like he's ready to die hitting some of those notes. He could still sing HIGH in 1980 albeit kinda softly with trepidation, but he couldn't scream out those notes effortlessly with the power he did in the early 70's...no way. "Battlescar" might have come out in 1980, but those vocals were definitely recorded earlier than that.

Sorry for bumping a year old debate, but i disagree. He had all his range and power, to me, all the way up to the Hemispheres album. Listen to the Canadian Bacon bootleg (12/10/1977), The Different Stages live album (2/20/1978) or the Providence 1978 bootleg (1/12/1978) to see that he still had it. It wasn't until the tour where he went downhill. For instance, compare 2112 from one of the bootlegs mentioned to Black Forest (5/28/1979), and you'll see.

Debating a ghost eh?

Not really.

Anyway, why do you think Geddy's voice lost it's screechy sound after 2112? He still sounds great up until Hemispheres in the studio, and the Farewell to Kings tour live.

I think he's sounded great for the majority of Rush's career, but I just don't think he was as consistent with powerful high notes after the 2112 tour

I had not heard of this before today so I don't know anything about the song or what led up to it. The Internet tells me it is from 1980 so I chose the third answer—Rush was not writing music like this in 1980. In 1974 maybe, but not in the 80s.

I agree here. It has some Rush elements, but they weren't in this style anymore.

The song is good, but it doesn't compare to others.

Well, to be fair, I assume the song was mostly written by Kim Mitchell

Probably Pye dubous, who wrote a lot of Max Webster classics.

Debating a ghost eh?

Not really.

I think he's sounded great for the majority of Rush's career, but I just don't think he was as consistent with powerful high notes after the 2112 tour

I think he was just as powerful through the AFTK tour and Hemispheres album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzcdvQnafOY

This performance is a great example of what he was still capable of. Even though it's a from the Different stages live album, and live albums tend to be overdubbed, Different Stages was, along with GUP tour and Rush In Rio, left untouched.

Another example, I listened to 2112 Temples of Syrinx from the By-Tor's Battle bootleg (3/26/1976), and it sounded IDENTICAL to the Sound and Fury bootleg (2/22/1978).

Edited by Eel Yddeg

This is a true epic Canadian Classic - right around the time Geddy did Take Off with Bob &Doug McEnzie.

Kim Mitchell (lead singer of Max Webster) and Rush were best of friends back in the day and they did alot together. The song is Awesome already carved out by Max Webster, they reached out to Rush to help out on this track to give their album Universal Jeuveniles something special and Canadian

Both bands were Ronny Hawkins farm in Beamsville Ontario. They all drove to Sound City Toronto to record the track that afternoon in a rain storm .

Both drum sets were set up in a small space and both Bands were they did it in 1 take with some editing .

Although this is not a product of LeStudio which many think , Kim Mitchell recorded their biggest album "Shaking like a human Being at LeStudio in 1986

Ronnie Hawkins farm in Beamsville is a pivital place for Rush ..... with 300 acres of land -a private guest house near the lake where Neil stayed and particularly his BARN was the jamming tracks of Battlescar, and all of Moving Pictures took place .. It was shortly after that they went to LeStudio to Master everything ..

• Like 2

sometimes i wonder what it might have been like if Rush had stuck to simple, good old fashioned rock instead of the brand of esoteric progressive stuff they dived into. i mean ged's solo album in particular shows they can do it and even Feedback demonstrates the potential, but...

then i stop myself and think 'nah that would've been sh*t. we had UFO for that kinda thing'

Al in particular was just way too spaced out for ordinary rock n roll

Edited by lifeson90