Laughedatbytime is a busy little beaver - 40,000 post!

ILSnwdog

Way to go brother. I am shooting for my one year anniversary to catch you.... :wacko:
  • Like 1

:ebert: :yay: :cheers: :hi:
  • Like 1

Congrats to one of the coolest dudes on the forum! :notworthy: Here's to 40,000 more! :cheers:

Thanks ILS, but why do I get the idea that you're just looking to make my beaver even busier...

Oh wait...

• Like 6

:ebert: :yay:

:notworthy: :yay: :ebert:

Congratulations, LABT!

:ebert: :yay: :notworthy: :yay: :ebert:

Thanks babycat...As Geddy would say...

Yeah, oh yeah!

Ooh, said I, I'm comin' out to catch you

Ooh, sit down, I'm comin' out to pass you

Ooh, yeah

Ooh yeah

Postin' my way!

I've been postin so long

I've lost count of the years

Well, I wrote some bad posts

Oh yes, and drank some bad beers

• Like 5

Congrats!!! :haz: :7up: :rush: :hail:

At first glance I thought this thread was about Dam construction. :P

Thanks! Just for you...in case you were disappointed.

Construction of a Dam - Step 1

To build a Dam the engineers must first de-water the part of the river valley in which they

wish to place the dam. This is usually achieved by diverting the river through a tunnel.

The tunnel is built through one side of the valley around the planned construction area. A

series of holes is drilled in the rock. Explosives are placed in the drill holes, blasting takes

place and broken rock is then removed. This procedure is repeated many times until the tunnel

is completed. Diversion tunnels are often lined with concrete.

Construction of a Dam - Step 2

Work on diverting the river starts in summer when river levels are low. Earth-moving

equipment is used to build a small dam (called a cofferdam) upstream of the main

construction area. This acts as a barrier to the river and causes it to flow through the diversion

tunnel.

Another cofferdam is built downstream of the main damsite to prevent water flowing back

into the construction area.

Pumps are used to remove any water that seeps through the cofferdams.

Diversion tunnels are not always necessary when concrete dams are being built. The river can

sometimes be channelled through a large pipe and the dam constructed around it.

Construction of a Dam - Step 3

The construction methods used in building a dam depend on the type of dam being built. The

first stage normally involves the removal of loose rock and rubble from the valley walls and

river bed.

Concrete-faced rockfill dams require a footing (or plinth) to be constructed around their

upstream edge. The plinth is made from concrete and serves as a foundation or connection

between the dam and the valley walls and floor. It has an important role in preventing water

The construction methods used in building a dam depend on the type of dam being built. The

first stage normally involves the removal of loose rock and rubble from the valley walls and

river bed.

Concrete-faced rockfill dams require a footing (or plinth) to be constructed around their

upstream edge. The plinth is made from concrete and serves as a foundation or connection

between the dam and the valley walls and floor. It has an important role in preventing water

leakage around the edges of the dam. The area under the plinth is waterproofed by drilling

holes and pumping cement grout into cracks in the rock. The thin concrete face on the

upstream side of the dam is connected to the plinth via stainless steel and rubber seals called

waterstops.

Construction of a Dam - Step 4

During dam construction the associated power station and intake works are also being built.

When the dam is completed the diversion tunnel is closed and the lake begins to fill. The

closure of the diversion tunnel has two phases. During low flow a large re-usable steel gate is

lowered across the entrance. The diversion tunnel is then permanently blocked off by the

construction of a concrete plug.

In some instances dewatering outlets are built into the plugs so water can be released during

an emergency.

http://www.apliut.com/pages/aideenseignement/swapshop_Nimes07/desparbes_howtobuildadam.pdf

• Like 2

And to think that people say the "This or That" games are pointless!

Congrats, LABT. :cheers:

Who said that? Let me at 'em.

Without picking Bastille Day over Anthem (or was it vice versa), I'd still only be Driven... And you'd still be a Long Awaited Froind... :)

• Like 3

I thought it said "LBT is busy at beaver 40,000 hours so far"...

:o

:cheers:

Let's see...40,000 hours at 10 seconds per...that's, uhhh...pretty near impossible.

• Like 1

Congrats to one of the coolest dudes on the forum! :notworthy: Here's to 40,000 more! :cheers:

Thanks ILS, but why do I get the idea that you're just looking to make my beaver even busier...

Oh wait...

:LOL:

:ebert: :yay:

:notworthy: :yay: :ebert:

Congratulations, LABT!

:ebert: :yay: :notworthy: :yay: :ebert:

Thanks babycat...As Geddy would say...

Yeah, oh yeah!

Ooh, said I, I'm comin' out to catch you

Ooh, sit down, I'm comin' out to pass you

Ooh, yeah

Ooh yeah

Postin' my way!

I've been postin so long

I've lost count of the years

Well, I wrote some bad posts

Oh yes, and drank some bad beers

Awesome! :ebert:

• Like 1

And to think that people say the "This or That" games are pointless!

Congrats, LABT. :cheers:

Who said that? Let me at 'em.

Without picking Bastille Day over Anthem (or was it vice versa), I'd still only be Driven... And you'd still be a Long Awaited Froind... :)

So true. :LOL:

• Like 1

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/d3/d32273ae4065eea35d7fc6a3a942b419353136397726bcb9c37c084fbbe548b7.jpg
  • Like 3

Congrats!!! :haz: :7up: :rush: :hail:

At first glance I thought this thread was about Dam construction. :P

Thanks! Just for you...in case you were disappointed.

Construction of a Dam - Step 1

To build a Dam the engineers must first de-water the part of the river valley in which they

wish to place the dam. This is usually achieved by diverting the river through a tunnel.

The tunnel is built through one side of the valley around the planned construction area. A

series of holes is drilled in the rock. Explosives are placed in the drill holes, blasting takes

place and broken rock is then removed. This procedure is repeated many times until the tunnel

is completed. Diversion tunnels are often lined with concrete.

Construction of a Dam - Step 2

Work on diverting the river starts in summer when river levels are low. Earth-moving

equipment is used to build a small dam (called a cofferdam) upstream of the main

construction area. This acts as a barrier to the river and causes it to flow through the diversion

tunnel.

Another cofferdam is built downstream of the main damsite to prevent water flowing back

into the construction area.

Pumps are used to remove any water that seeps through the cofferdams.

Diversion tunnels are not always necessary when concrete dams are being built. The river can

sometimes be channelled through a large pipe and the dam constructed around it.

river bed.

river bed.

leakage around the edges of the dam. The area under the plinth is waterproofed by drilling

holes and pumping cement grout into cracks in the rock. The thin concrete face on the

upstream side of the dam is connected to the plinth via stainless steel and rubber seals called

waterstops.

Construction of a Dam - Step 4

During dam construction the associated power station and intake works are also being built.

When the dam is completed the diversion tunnel is closed and the lake begins to fill. The

closure of the diversion tunnel has two phases. During low flow a large re-usable steel gate is

lowered across the entrance. The diversion tunnel is then permanently blocked off by the

construction of a concrete plug.

In some instances dewatering outlets are built into the plugs so water can be released during

an emergency.

http://www.apliut.co...tobuildadam.pdf

Thanks for posting this,

I was reading about what it takes and how determined Beavers are in building a Dam. Amazing stuff! :notworthy:

http://fohn.net/beaver-pictures-facts/beaver-dams.html

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/d3/d32273ae4065eea35d7fc6a3a942b419353136397726bcb9c37c084fbbe548b7.jpg

That was my favorite show growing up (that and Flipper, well, and Gilligan's Island). Yes, they were all in reruns...

That was my favorite show growing up (that and Flipper, well, and Gilligan's Island). Yes, they were all in reruns...

.....and yes, the Beaver's mom was hot. ;)

• Like 1

.....and yes, the Beaver's mom was hot. ;)

:)

Its a shame you get nothing special for this momentous occasion. Everyone here just receives participatory medals.... :)
  • Like 1

Congrats on hitting that gawdy number...that's a lot of posts.

I've always enjoyed my interaction with you on SOCN, your obviously a liberal just dying to come out of the closet. BTW, I gave Hemispheres 3 stars out of 5 because it's not THAT great. I can see why you enjoy it though...since you're the naked guy on the front.

• Like 1

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bwLRgsbmZAc/TPtztmg4N_I/AAAAAAAAAfI/5D00NAp6F1g/s320/40000.jpg

¡Orale!

http://behance.vo.llnwd.net/profiles/91506/projects/3831827/a14a980af6d22ef70d38112097aa90eb.jpg

• Like 1