Rush Movie in the Making? Tom Hanks

Pars123

First: Wait until this movie is IMDB confirmed before you even consider believing this... Have fun waiting indefinitely :hi:

Second: I'd turn in my Rush card entirely. We just had a Rush doc, and Rush played a big role in whatever shitty movie that comedy film was... "Slappin da bass" one. Also, they've appeared quite a bit in South Park.

What I'm saying is, they're becoming commercial, a polar opposite of one of the things they stand for. They're garnering a lot of casual pseudo-fans that don't know shit (i'm not attacking any of you here in particular, don't worry... but ive met people).. Songs are becoming overpraised and overplayed, and all the while some people still have the coconuts to call this band "underrated" or "unknown". They're not underrated, they're not unknown, they're a popular successful rock band. Shut up.

A certain member's view:

Not so much. Not anymore.

What happens is this, at least this is what happened with me. When I found this place there was Rush and then there was everything else. But having been a fan for 20+ years at that time and then spending the next 3 years or so in the band related forums here, talking about various songs and various meanings and so on and so forth, the conversation got stale. How many times can you analyze Hemispheres? At any rate, as new members come along with the same exuberance I once had, I found myself rolling my eyes and mumbling, "not this stupid conversation again." I slowly started to despise the band and I spent less and less time in the forums at the top of the board. So yes, The Rush Forum basically turned me into a Rush hater. I still recognize how good they are as musicians and songwriters but I have no desire to listen to them or pay any attention to what they are currently doing.

I would also like to apologize to any person who may have been soured based on my fanboism back when I was new here.

This, in part, has had a similar effect on me, but not quite enough to become a "hater"...

Calm down, attention for Rush is not a problem, they are not some hipster band to be brushed aside when they become popular. They worked long and hard to reach this level of popularity, which is what they are praised for. Rush does not have it's fans because it's fan base is exclusive to the hardcore, its because they worked hard to earn every fan, and through this hard work, they slowly became big enough to earn these media spots which in turn produces more fans.

Seems fake, but if there were a movie, I think immediately that Jack Black would be in it, maybe as Ray Daniels or Howard 'I can't spell his last name'.

Jack Black was the only reason High Fidelity wasn't a perfect film.

If you want to see him make a Rush fan look like a complete f*cking idiot in a film aside from the doc, see High Fidelity. You'll know which part I'm talking about the second you see it.

But to be fair, he just acts like a dumb ass in general throughout that entire film. He's "comic relief" :facepalm:

Actually, let me save everyone the trouble/curiosity, if it exists:

http://youtu.be/yVv5sIY57TA

You do realize that's a character he is playing, and not Jack Black as himself right. Without Jack Black there would be no conflict in the main character's life with his co-workers. Sorry if he annoyed you, but that was the character as written. Meanwhile, I say Jack Black would probably be in it due to his own fandom, and quality as an actor, his quality simply is best put forward into characters that you find annoying.
  • Like 1

First: Wait until this movie is IMDB confirmed before you even consider believing this... Have fun waiting indefinitely :hi:

Second: I'd turn in my Rush card entirely. We just had a Rush doc, and Rush played a big role in whatever shitty movie that comedy film was... "Slappin da bass" one. Also, they've appeared quite a bit in South Park.

What I'm saying is, they're becoming commercial, a polar opposite of one of the things they stand for. They're garnering a lot of casual pseudo-fans that don't know shit (i'm not attacking any of you here in particular, don't worry... but ive met people).. Songs are becoming overpraised and overplayed, and all the while some people still have the coconuts to call this band "underrated" or "unknown". They're not underrated, they're not unknown, they're a popular successful rock band. Shut up.

A certain member's view:

What happens is this, at least this is what happened with me. When I found this place there was Rush and then there was everything else. But having been a fan for 20+ years at that time and then spending the next 3 years or so in the band related forums here, talking about various songs and various meanings and so on and so forth, the conversation got stale. How many times can you analyze Hemispheres? At any rate, as new members come along with the same exuberance I once had, I found myself rolling my eyes and mumbling, "not this stupid conversation again." I slowly started to despise the band and I spent less and less time in the forums at the top of the board. So yes, The Rush Forum basically turned me into a Rush hater. I still recognize how good they are as musicians and songwriters but I have no desire to listen to them or pay any attention to what they are currently doing.

I would also like to apologize to any person who may have been soured based on my fanboism back when I was new here.

This, in part, has had a similar effect on me, but not quite enough to become a "hater"...

Ah yes, the classic " once they become popular and pick up casual fans I start to hate them " ...

Or as TV Tropes calls it, "It's Popular, Now It Sucks".

A certain member's view:

Ah yes, the classic " once they become popular and pick up casual fans I start to hate them " ...

That demonstrates nothing but internal spite. "I can't like what people that annoy me like."

Exactly. I don't like drawing associations between something positive with something negative.

I'd turn in my Rush card entirely.

What I'm saying is, they're becoming commercial, a polar opposite of one of the things they stand for.

Rush have never stood for being anti-commercial. They have persevered in spite of being deemed uncool, and in recent years Lee, Peart amd Lifeson have embraced their success and new found media respect and popularity. Statistically speaking, they have had enormous success commercially, being the band with the most consecutive platinum albums in history, behind only The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Have they ever complained? No. They, like any band, are proud of the commercial success they have received.

How dare you imply they have garnered loads of "pseudo-fans", as if being a casual fan is some kind of sin. You don't have to be a die hard fanatic, or a thirty-five year strong fan of Rush to enjoy the odd song/album. Rush are not the property of any single human being, let alone you, and if you hand over your "Rush card" because they have become mega famous for being great and popular, then do so. Goodbye.

They have never been "commercial", not because they fought against the system, but simply because they wrote great music that was too sophisticated for the masses. The fact that in recent years they have found success and fame on a grand scale is because, in the end, true talent comes full circle. Why else are we today proclaiming the greatness of Rush in the media, and not the Bay City Rollers?

Sorry, but Rush have an amazing story, almost a fairytale one along the lines of a hard-rock Cinderella rising from the cinders to become the belle of the ball. Cannot cope with that, after years of "friendship"? Well I say "jump ship". No one cares. Goodbye.

If you cannot remain a Rush fan because they have too many followers, then I think one would have to question why you ever considered yourself a lover of music in the first place. Rush share their music with the whole wide world, why can't you?

Think you could condense this into a single paragraph maybe? :LOL:

From what I skimmed: their documentary already suffices.

"Goodbye"

Edited by Mr. IsNot
  • Like 1

The only Rush movie I'd want is a conceptual film to go along with one of their epics.

e.g. what Pink Floyd did with The Wall or the Beatles did with numerous albums... Just... To keep it concise... Much better than those :LOL:

You complained that Rush are becoming too "commercial" and "garnering a lot of casual pseudo-fans who don't know shit," but then you suggest that they do something similar to Pink Floyd and The Beatles, but better? Mmmmmm....kaaayyy.

I fail to see the inconsistency in that. If there was to be another film, make it an animated musical short surrounding one of their epics... And unlike The Wall or Yellow Submarine, make it worth watching :LOL:

Obviously fake, based on how it was written. The verb tenses in the story aren't correct.

Not to mention the utterly ridiculous premise.

• Like 3

What I'm saying is, they're becoming commercial, a polar opposite of one of the things they stand for.

as you may have examined through a cherry pick, i was indeed wrong here. I was referring to, however, the making of 2112 and their rejection of commercial conventions in making a successful album. If 2112 had failed? That was something they were prepared for. They were prepared to go down what they considered their true creation, rather than sell out. Now there's a difference between pro-commercial and anti-commercial, and Rush clearly isn't entirely against commercial success, but given this description of 2112's making which side of the spectrum do they lean more towards? anti or pro?

...Better make (another) movie out of it!

The only Rush movie I'd want is a conceptual film to go along with one of their epics.

e.g. what Pink Floyd did with The Wall or the Beatles did with numerous albums... Just... To keep it concise... Much better than those :LOL:

You complained that Rush are becoming too "commercial" and "garnering a lot of casual pseudo-fans who don't know shit," but then you suggest that they do something similar to Pink Floyd and The Beatles, but better? Mmmmmm....kaaayyy.

I fail to see the inconsistency in that. If there was to be another film, make it an animated musical short surrounding one of their epics... And unlike The Wall or Yellow Submarine, make it worth watching :LOL:

It's inconsistent to disparage Rush's "commercial" level and "pseudo-fans" while simultaneously encouraging the band to emulate two groups whose commercial successes and pseudo-fanbases absolutely dwarf Rush's.

• Like 1

It's inconsistent to disparage Rush's "commercial" level and "pseudo-fans" while simultaneously encouraging the band to emulate two groups whose commercial successes and pseudo-fanbases absolutely dwarf Rush's.

An animated musical short would be far more fan catering and less successful than a feature film about Rush in general.

Rush have never stood for being anti-commercial. They have persevered in spite of being deemed uncool, and in recent years Lee, Peart amd Lifeson have embraced their success and new found media respect and popularity. Statistically speaking, they have had enormous success commercially, being the band with the most consecutive platinum albums in history, behind only The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Have they ever complained? No. They, like any band, are proud of the commercial success they have received.

How dare you imply they have garnered loads of "pseudo-fans", as if being a casual fan is some kind of sin. You don't have to be a die hard fanatic, or a thirty-five year strong fan of Rush to enjoy the odd song/album. Rush are not the property of any single human being, let alone you, and if you hand over your "Rush card" because they have become mega famous for being great and popular, then do so. Goodbye.

They have never been "commercial", not because they fought against the system, but simply because they wrote great music that was too sophisticated for the masses. The fact that in recent years they have found success and fame on a grand scale is because, in the end, true talent comes full circle. Why else are we today proclaiming the greatness of Rush in the media, and not the Bay City Rollers?

Sorry, but Rush have an amazing story, almost a fairytale one along the lines of a hard-rock Cinderella rising from the cinders to become the belle of the ball. Cannot cope with that, after years of "friendship"? Well I say "jump ship". No one cares. Goodbye.

If you cannot remain a Rush fan because they have too many followers, then I think one would have to question why you ever considered yourself a lover of music in the first place. Rush share their music with the whole wide world, why can't you?

"Goodbye"

I think I fell out the wrong side of the bed yesterday...

"Goodbye"

I think I fell out the wrong side of the bed yesterday...

Nah, you're fine.

And if we can't come to a place called The Rush Forum to gush, then where?

We just had a Rush doc, and Rush played a big role in whatever shitty movie that comedy film was... "Slappin da bass" one. Also, they've appeared quite a bit in South Park.

Uh, I don't think Rush stands for not becoming popular or main stream. I think all that Rush stands for is not selling out to do so. Not writing songs soley based on their commercial success. I think they would be quite pleased if they wrote music true to their heart and it was the most popular music in the world. Popularity does not take credibility away, the pursuit of popularity is what destroys music.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

We just had a Rush doc, and Rush played a big role in whatever shitty movie that comedy film was... "Slappin da bass" one. Also, they've appeared quite a bit in South Park.

Uh, I don't think Rush stands for not becoming popular or main stream. I think all that Rush stands for is not selling out to do so. Not writing songs soley based on their commercial success. I think they would be quite pleased if they wrote music true to their heart and it was the most popular music in the world. Popularity does not take credibility away, the pursuit of popularity is what destroys music.

Just my opinion.

Yeah, you're right. I was corrected on this.

They're not entirely anti-commercial, certainly not enough to be labelled that. But they did stick to what they wanted to do even when faced with the risk of failure, and they have songs critiquing mainstream music (spirit of radio, superconductor). So I'd still say they're more so than not.

They're definitely happier with being a subject in a lame comedy than I am.

Edited by Mr. IsNot

That's because they have a sense of humor and don't take themselves to seriously. I applaud that.

That's because they have a sense of humor and don't take themselves to seriously. I applaud that.

Same. Looking at footage of them behind the scenes, Geddy and Lifeson are absolutely hilarious!