Classic Rock

custom55

Interesting. I would have figured Detroit would be more Nugent and Seger country but The J. Geils Band?
  • Like 2

Boston is playing the ’70s-era Allman Brothers six times more frequently.

:notworthy:

In a strange twist, I'm pretty certain that Boston gets played more on Reno radio than anywhere else on the planet. Literally every song from the debut is in heavy rotation.

Can't understand why they can't figure out how to make this format awesome. You need way more "deep" cuts and songs from bands that had less hits, not just the same 25 songs from the same 15 bands. Hard to listen to this format.
  • Like 2

Very interesting article. I knew the music industry thing, but not about these studies.

I wonder about people's rock tastes at other towns around the world too. If in Kansas City people most enjoy Rush, how it will be in Sidney, for example.

My town......well, let me explain my town this way:

In the early 90's, Queensryche was one of the hottest bands at that time. They came to my town during their Empire Tour, and about 3,000 out of 10,000 seats were filled. The band was literally in shock, but they put on a great show anyway.

All because the hic radio stations in my town only cared about playing Zeppelin, Floyd, Skynyrd, AC/DC, etc.

The classic Rock station in Boston, 100.7 WZLX, has recently added Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP, Smashing Pumpkins, Motley Crue, Def Leppard etc..

Classic Rock to me is from around '64 to the mid 80s..anything past 1985 isnt Classic IMO..and wont ever be classic, even 30 years from now. It just doesnt have the same vibe as those 60s and 70s artists.

• Like 1

The classic Rock station in Boston, 100.7 WZLX, has recently added Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP, Smashing Pumpkins, Motley Crue, Def Leppard etc..

Classic Rock to me is from around '64 to the mid 80s..anything past 1985 isnt Classic IMO..and wont ever be classic, even 30 years from now. It just doesnt have the same vibe as those 60s and 70s artists.

Every generation has their classic rock. When I was a kid my mom listened to her classic rock. It was called oldies though. Didn't have the same vibe as 60s, 70s but it was her classics.

• Like 2

Every generation has their classic rock. When I was a kid my mom listened to her classic rock. It was called oldies though. Didn't have the same vibe as 60s, 70s but it was her classics.

She had good taste!

50's, 60's & 70's were the classics!

Sometimes I wonder how someone decided a particular song fit in the "classic rock" genre. I am thinking specifically of one-hit wonder Tommy Tutone and 8675309 Jenny. It is neither rock nor do I find it particularly "classic". It was most definitely a pop song.

Just because something is old doesn't make it a classic. I have a neighbor who is driving a 1985 Toyota Cressida. It's old, sure, and it was a good car in its day, but no one would drag it to a Classic Car show.

Sometimes I wonder how someone decided a particular song fit in the "classic rock" genre. I am thinking specifically of one-hit wonder Tommy Tutone and 8675309 Jenny. It is neither rock nor do I find it particularly "classic". It was most definitely a pop song.

That little pop-rock ditty is a charter member of the "One-Hit Wonder" Club in the Classic Rock world.

Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield

Lunatic Fringe - Red Rider

Your Love - The Outfield

The Breakup Song - Greg Kihn

Fantasy - Aldo Nova

etc.

etc.

Gotta have some filler songs inbetween the Zeppelin, Floyd, AC/DC, Van Halen, The Who,...... :D

• Like 1

That little pop-rock ditty is a charter member of the "One-Hit Wonder" Club in the Classic Rock world.

Your Love - The Outfield

Fantasy - Aldo Nova

etc.

etc.

Gotta have some filler songs inbetween the Zeppelin, Floyd, AC/DC, Van Halen, The Who,...... :D

Hey, Red Rider also had Radar Love! It wasn't nearly as awesome as Lunatic Fringe, though.

Greg Kihn also had Our Love's In Jeopardy, which was probably more famous for its Weird Al parody, I Lost On Jeopardy.

Your Love - The Outfield

Fantasy - Aldo Nova

etc.

etc.

Hey, Red Rider also had Radar Love! It wasn't nearly as awesome as Lunatic Fringe, though.

Greg Kihn also had Our Love's In Jeopardy, which was probably more famous for its Weird Al parody, I Lost On Jeopardy.

Wasn't "Radar Love" Golden Earring? I always liked Our Love's In Jeopardy.....
  • Like 1

Your Love - The Outfield

Fantasy - Aldo Nova

etc.

etc.

Radar Love is indeed Golden Earring. I remember buying that 45 in 6th grade.

Your Love - The Outfield

Fantasy - Aldo Nova

etc.

etc.

Didn't even have to google that one!..... :dweez:

Your Love - The Outfield

Fantasy - Aldo Nova

etc.

etc.

Oops. I am fond of Golden Earring's "Twilight Zone", though.

Your Love - The Outfield

Fantasy - Aldo Nova

etc.

etc.

for some reason this conversation is reminding me of this tune.

http://youtu.be/FnJOsfalSYs

• Like 3

Your Love - The Outfield

Fantasy - Aldo Nova

etc.

etc.

for some reason this conversation is reminding me of this tune.

http://youtu.be/FnJOsfalSYs

Thats funny!

The only time I saw him live was at this loction. :D

http://www.songkick.com/festivals/265028-california-jam-2/id/9912703-california-jam-2-1978

Rick Springfield also had several other hits. I've Done Everything For You, Love Is Alright Tonight, Don't Talk To Strangers...etc. and yes I had a couple of his albums. :LOL:

Rick Springfield also had several other hits. I've Done Everything For You, Love Is Alright Tonight, Don't Talk To Strangers...etc. and yes I had a couple of his albums. :LOL:

Did you watch him on "General Hospital"? (I never did, but knew several people who were fans).

:o :cool:

Yeah,

I hated "I've Done Everything For You" by him. :facepalm: After hearing the original by Sammy Hagar. The cover made me want to puke!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtU9jWy2aWc

I suggest listening to both songs. But the tune talked about here starts around the 5:55 mark. :haz: