Why was Signals "the end" for some of you?

Lorraine

I have read more than a few here say that they loved Rush up to and including Signals. After that, it has been said, Rush changed. There is a significant difference in their music after Signals, but I have read that is something Rush wanted to do so as not to musically stagnate.

Is it that you couldn't adapt yourself to another aspect of the band? Or was it something more than that? Is there nothing post-Signals that you like?

I always thought Signals WAS the big change in their music. It was vastly different from anything that preceded it. As a young fan it took me quite a while to warm up to it. Then I did and I loved it.

• Like 1

To me the biggest change was when they went from heavy progressive rockers to the 80s flashy/dancy/flock of seagulls kind of look and sound. Hard to explain to people who weren't there and didn't see it but it was like major culture shock.
  • Like 2

To me the biggest change was when they went from heavy progressive rockers to the 80s flashy/dancy/flock of seagulls kind of look and sound. Hard to explain to people who weren't there and didn't see it but it was like major culture shock.

I think I LOVE A Flock Of Seagulls. No shame there at all...

• Like 1

That's not the point. It was the change from one to the other, and that was hard to deal with. It was like they were becoming mainstream and not in a good way.

• Like 2

That's not the point. It was the change from one to the other, and that was hard to deal with. It was like they were becoming mainstream and not in a good way.

True...I am coming from the wrong angle...if I pretend I was a massive fan in the seventies, I truly think I would have responded negatively to the bands evolution.

• Like 1

Yes, exactly!

And I think you really had to be there at the time to realize this. You wait a year for your favourite band to come out with a new album, drive down to the record store to buy it, come home and put it on the turntable getting ready to rock out ... and it sounds like mainstream crap :(

So disappointing.

• Like 2

Yes, exactly!

And I think you really had to be there at the time to realize this. You wait a year for your favourite band to come out with a new album, drive down to the record store to buy it, come home and put it on the turntable getting ready to rock out ... and it sounds like mainstream crap :(

So disappointing.

Thing is...this has happened with loads of my favourite metal bands...and...I...embrace it...

...sorry but thinking about it now, I have been in that situation but nearly everytime it has happened I have enjoyed growing with the band (Lacuna Coil absolutely shocked me with the happy go lucky disco pop metal of Shallow Life, an album I consider the equivalent of Rush's Signals, and from gothic flavoured metal to almost Avril Lavigne style pop? Well...i loved it! Needless to say, the bands they emulated are not at all my cup of tea, I just like how they tried new things and did it their own way.)

• Like 1

I love all Rush. The first album is my least favorite though, but anyways... I love the progressive Rush from 75-78, the "commercial/Proggy Rush from 80-81, the keyboard driven Rush from 82-87, the more guitar driven Rush from 89-97, the return to the roots Rush from 2001- Present. One minute I'll listen to 2112 and then I might throw on Hold Your Fire, or maybe Test for Echo.
  • Like 1

Yes, exactly!

So disappointing.

Thing is...this has happened with loads of my favourite metal bands...and...I...embrace it...

...sorry but thinking about it now, I have been in that situation but nearly everytime it has happened I have enjoyed growing with the band (Lacuna Coil absolutely shocked me with the happy go lucky disco pop metal of Shallow Life, an album I consider the equivalent of Rush's Signals, and from gothic flavoured metal to almost Avril Lavigne style pop? Well...i loved it! Needless to say, the bands they emulated are not at all my cup of tea, I just like how they tried new things and did it their own way.)

Yeah, I'm with you on this, Segue. A number of my favorite bands changed up their respective styles over the years. Not every case was successful, but many were. And I can think of some groups I liked at one time that didn't evolve, stagnated, and lost me.

No, there's no guarantee I would've approved of Rush's manner of changing had I been a fan of theirs back then. But I don't think it's a given that I would've hated what they were doing either. Really, I don't think I would've become a huge fan of the band until the PeW-MP period anyway (2112-AFtK-Hemispheres is definitely not my favorite era of theirs), and I don't think Signals marked all that much of a deviation from what they had done with those two amazing records. They had embarked on the transitioning trail long before Subdivisions hit the airwaves.

All this talk about change makes me realize that's why i love bands and music that changes. I think if Rush had stayed with the proggy epics. Eventually i would have said.....yea?.......so? ......um.....Anything else? and i would not rate them nearly as hghi as I do now.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

All this talk about change makes me realize that's why i love bands and music that changes. I think if Rush had stayed with the proggy epics. Eventually i would have said.....yea?.......so? ......um.....Anything else? and i would not rate them nearly as hghi as I do now.

Mick

Exactly. And if they stayed doing the synth era stuff they would really have gone stale, as HYF was pushing it too far in much the same way Hemispheres did for the prog era.

• Like 1

Mick

Exactly. And if they stayed doing the synth era stuff they would really have gone stale, as HYF was pushing it too far in much the same way Hemispheres did for the prog era.

That's the thing about rush. They had a tendency to push things to far but then have the sense to go whoa that's enough and change things up.

Mick

Mick

You guys are probably right but can we have one more epic prog classic before they call it quits?..... :)

Mick

That's the thing about rush. They had a tendency to push things to far but then have the sense to go whoa that's enough and change things up.

Mick

Not always...the were pushing the boat a little to far with T4E...and then...followed that with...Vapor Trails...

Nuff said.

Mick

You guys are probably right but can we have one more epic prog classic before they call it quits?..... :)

Agreed!

Mick

Agreed!

Its not unlike fashion or decor. Things and fads come and go and then come back again. I think its time for the prog epic to return at least once anyway......
  • Like 1

Mick

Agreed!

Its not unlike fashion or decor. Things and fads come and go and then come back again. I think its time for the prog epic to return at least once anyway......

I'd love for this to happen. They came close to making with with the title track off Clockwork Angels, but they can do crazier.

They've said before after Hemispheres they won't do it again...then they wrote Natural Science and Camera Eye so we know how that goes :LOL:

Mick

Mick

Not always...the were pushing the boat a little to far with T4E...and then...followed that with...Vapor Trails...

Nuff said.

As Album Ambassador for Vapor Trails I will stand up in defense of my album! Speak poorly of VT again and I will taunt you a second time. :whipgirl:

Mick

Mick

Nuff said.

As Album Ambassador for Vapor Trails I will stand up in defense of my album! Speak poorly of VT again and I will taunt you a second time. :whipgirl:

Promise?...... :)
  • Like 1

Mick

Mick

Nuff said.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/A8yjNbcKkNY/hqdefault.jpg

• Like 3

Mick

Mick

Nuff said.

Promise?...... :)

:LMAO:

• Like 1

Mick

Agreed!

I'd love for this to happen. They came close to making with with the title track off Clockwork Angels, but they can do crazier.

They've said before after Hemispheres they won't do it again...then they wrote Natural Science and Camera Eye so we know how that goes :LOL:

I feel that CA is very close to a modern take on prog. As much as I like stuff like Hemispheres (so great!) I agree it would sound dated for them to record Hemispheres 2 today. But I would love it if they experimented more in a modern proggy direction rather than in the direction of whatever happens to be popular today.

Dubstep Rush? No fookin' way! :scared: :facepalm: :no: :no: :no:

Edited by x1yyz

Mick

Mick

Nuff said.

Well they're old now and probably not as open to change, lol

Mick

Mick

Mick

Nuff said.

Well they're old now and probably not as open to change, lol

Mick

So old there is no possible way to have improved with the subsequent three albums...

O wait: THEY DID!

• Like 2