Rush's Record Producers

Lorraine

Who do you think was Rush's best record producer?

I have noticed that they change their producer quite a bit. The albums in the 80's had a better sound than the 90's and the past thirteen years. Forget the seventies. The albums sound good and probably could have sounded a lot better had they had more money to spend on such things.

In my unprofessional opinion, I think Peter Collins did a good job on Power Windows. :yes:

• Like 1

Tied for first: Collins and Broon

3. Booujzhe

4. Peter Henderson

5. Every other producer in the world

6. Paul Northfield

7. Rupert Hine

Broon did good with the pre-Grace stuff as I'm sure everyone would agree with, EXCEPT for the guitar on Signals. I love Signals but that guitar :( All of the stuff Collins produced sounded great, especially Counterparts and Power Windows. Great mixes.

Booujzhe did great with Snakes and Arrows. Love the mix on that album. Clockwork Angels has some muddiness in it but I can still enjoy all the parts.

Henderson made the guitar sound a million times better than it did on Signals, but the bass guitar didn't sound good. Probably also Geddy's fault for using that dumb Steinberger.

Northfield f*cked up Vapor Trails and the crowd on Different Stages is a little annoying.

Hine should have never been on the same planet as Rush's music. His production of Presto and RTB are part of the reason why I really hate those albums.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

Why are they always changing producers? They do make a big difference.

The albums Peter Collins produced (again, as everyone here already knows I know zilch about this stuff other than what my ears tell me) have a clear and full sound.

The albums Peter Collins produced (again, as everyone here already knows I know zilch about this stuff other than what my ears tell me) have a clear and full sound.

Probably a combination of two things:

1. Scheduling conflicts. For example Rush isn't the only thing Peter Collins was doing at the time. And they tried to get him for Grace Under Pressure but he wasn't available at the time, so they settled on Henderson.

2. Musical/creative differences. Broon left after Signals because Rush wanted to try something different and Broon didn't like where the band was going and wanted them to keep their sound like it was.

I would rank them like this:

1. Peter Collins/Terry Brown

2. Rupert Hine

3. Everybody else

• Like 1

I don't know squat about producers and their styles. Like you all I know it if I like what I hear. I only know that the albums I truly love all have Terry Browns' name on them somewhere..... :huh:
  • Like 1

I would rank them like this:

1. Peter Collins/Terry Brown

2. Rupert Hine

3. Everybody else

Same here.

Terry Brown did the classics....everything up to signals. Moving Pictures has one of the best sounds of any album I've ever heard. So crisp.

Kevin Shirley did a great job with Counterparts.

Peter Collins did well with GUP, but not Power windows.

Rupert Hine was terrible, but the worst was Rush. They basically did Vapor Trails and we know how that turned out lol

I think Rush changes producers so much because they are the type of band that likes to challenge themselves and do different things.

And in the 80's they wanted to go in a completely different direction which brown was not on board with...

Terry Brown did the classics....everything up to signals. Moving Pictures has one of the best sounds of any album I've ever heard. So crisp.

Rupert Hine was terrible, but the worst was Rush. They basically did Vapor Trails and we know how that turned out lol

I think Rush changes producers so much because they are the type of band that likes to challenge themselves and do different things.

And in the 80's they wanted to go in a completely different direction which brown was not on board with...

I believe Peter Collins produced Counterparts and Peter Henderson produced GUP haha Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 1

Of the ones I remember

1. Peter Collins

2. Nick I'm not attempting to spell his last name

3. Terry Brown

4. Peter Henderson

5. Rupert Hine

• Like 1

Of the ones I remember

1. Peter Collins

2. Nick I'm not attempting to spell his last name

3. Terry Brown

4. Peter Henderson

5. Rupert Hine

Hard to put Broon beneath anyone. The top three have captured the boys at their best at various points of their lives. I tend to think Nick has "pushed" them moreso than anybody else on this list.

• Like 2

Instead of starting another thread, I thought to use this one to ask the question I have about record producers.

Do you have to be a musician to be a record producer, or is having a good ear for music enough without knowing the technicalities of music (chords and stuff)? How would anyone know they are meant to be one?

Instead of starting another thread, I thought to use this one to ask the question I have about record producers.

Do you have to be a musician to be a record producer, or is having a good ear for music enough without knowing the technicalities of music (chords and stuff)? How would anyone know they are meant to be one?

I don't think it's an absolute requirement but it would definitely help. Someone would have to have an interest in learning how music is put together and how to use a mixing board etc. I think for the most part a lot of people learn by being in a recording environment with a band and learning the ropes that way.

• Like 1

After all these years I can see what they were trying to do on Signals. Sure the guitar should have been louder in the mix but I've had problems with mixing our music when we included keyboards. One thing I've noticed recently is Broon's excellent panning of the guitar especially on Digital Man, which the band has not achieved when they perform that particular song live. Edited by tas7

I believe Peter Collins produced Counterparts and Peter Henderson produced GUP haha

Peter Collins produced Counterparts but Kevin "caveman" Shirley engineered it and probably mixed it so I would say Shirley is more responsible for the incredible sound. I think so many people(including a lot in this thread) confuse a Producer with an Engineer. A producer is responsible for helping with arrangements, creative ideas, etc....Sometimes a producer has most of the input into the sonics and mix of a record but not always. Many times it's the Engineer that should take the credit.

Edited by presto123

I think Rush really dropped the ball when they never rehired Shirley to record another record. Nothing SINCE Counterparts has come close to sounding as good.

I thought Snakes and Arrows had good sound.

I think Rush really dropped the ball when they never rehired Shirley to record another record. Nothing SINCE Counterparts has come close to sounding as good.

I thought Snakes and Arrows had good sound.

You're right. It sounds pretty good, but not in the same ballpark as Counterparts IMO.