Spirit Of The Airwaves and St Louis '80

YYZumbi

I got a quick question...

the bootleg called St Louis ´80 and the new bootleg that just got released on a CD called Spirit Of The Airwaves.

Is these two the same concert and the same bootleg?

Because when I read here: http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/database/review.php?RecordingID=1365

St Louis ´80 is from February 14, 198f0 and when I read on the cover on the album that I have bought (Spirit Of The Airwaves), the date is February 13 1980.

I am sure its from the same place, but the date I am not so sure on, what one is the correct one? And is it the same bootleg?

Thank you!

It's another semi-legal bootleg sold as the real thing with bad cover art money grab from a foreign company thumbing their noses at both the band and the fans. Of course I do own the ABC release from a few years ago. It was a gift, but I ain't getting rid of it anytime soon so I'm sure this one will find its way into my collection at some point. Let's just hope it isn't sourced from mp3s this time.

It's another semi-legal bootleg sold as the real thing with bad cover art money grab from a foreign company thumbing their noses at both the band and the fans. Of course I do own the ABC release from a few years ago. It was a gift, but I ain't getting rid of it anytime soon so I'm sure this one will find its way into my collection at some point. Let's just hope it isn't sourced from mp3s this time.

I got it, and it sounds great, even better then the bootleg I had downloaded in Flac, from same concert, they have remastered it, I think.

But Rush still do not get any money from this. I have the boot but will not buy.

Who gives a shit? The band doesn't lose any money based on this. If they came out with an official release, I'd buy that too.

But Rush still do not get any money from this. I have the boot but will not buy.

And you know this how? What's your source that Rush doesn't see any $$$ from this?

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2014/01/25/3911/Rush-Spirit-of-the-Airwaves-live-1980-radio-broadcast

Part of this was broadcast on my local FM station during the tour, prior to their arrival in Indy a couple of months later, where I saw them. I recorded it on cassette, which I listened to again and again and again...

Wish I still had that recording because I am pretty sure it was just one of the three shows in its entirety, though I suppose I might have that wrong.

And you know this how? What's your source that Rush doesn't see any $$$ from this?

http://www.rushisaba...radio-broadcast

That link merely says that it's not an official release, NOT that Rush doesn't see royalties for this. I'm guessing that they do in fact get some $$$ from this, since it's on iTunes.

Me too. Of course my vinyl only has some of the show(s) - so I will probably get the new cd.

edit: this was supposed to be a follow-up to post to the vinyl

Edited by apetersvt

http://www.rushisaba...radio-broadcast

That link merely says that it's not an official release, NOT that Rush doesn't see royalties for this. I'm guessing that they do in fact get some $$$ from this, since it's on iTunes.

Its presence on iTunes is no indication they receive money for it - and it wouldn't just be because iTunes didn't pay for it. Even if the band have serious management and representation in a constant search for where they should be receiving royalties and the like, the companies that own - and sometimes the companies that don't even own the publishing rights are notorious for licensing without paying the artist. This is so prevalent, as a matter of fact, that it is the norm, not the exception.

The irony is, nowadays, if one is not purchasing the back catalog directly from the artists themselves, a more egalitarian solution would be to download it illegally. Of course, vinyl pressings are another issue: it's hard not to pay a thief when it comes to purchasing old or reissued LPs, either from one of the majors, or some bootlegger.

I'm so old I have that St. Louis show on vinyl. :codger:

Vinyl was my first exposure to this show, it was a double LP set called Xanadu. My first Rush bootleg and my first bootleg of any group. I thought I had all the Rush albums and was at a party and saw this LP in the host's collection and wondered what the heck it was. Fantastic recording and it turned me into the live music junkie and concert collecting nerd I am today. So yes I preordered this from Amazon UK.