40 Years Ago

Pars123

I'm sorry if this has been posted already, I really am. But today marks the 40th anniversary of our favorite band's debut album. "RUSH". They released it today, 40 years ago on Moon Records. Any thoughts from anyone who remembers their first time listening to this album? Or even people who remember it when it was released? Edited by Pars123
  • Like 1

One thing we found out recently here on the forum is that its the lowest rated album to date according to us..... :wacko:

One thing we found out recently here on the forum is that its the lowest rated album to date according to us..... :wacko:

And I still disagree. Even though pre-Peart Rush was far less original in its style, they were still a very solid group of musicians. Most bands would kill to have a debut album that good.

• Like 5

:crazy: Crazy

• Like 2

Not in my book! There are at least 3 or 4 studio albums below this one imho.

• Like 2

Not in my book! There are at least 3 or 4 studio albums below this one imho.

:cheerleader: at least

It may be completely different to anything else they've done...but it rocks your socks off from start to finish :haz:

It's filled to the brim with killer riffs and awesome solos, played by three guys who are pouring every ounce of their enthusiasm and hunger to succeed into every damn note.

Happy 40th Birthday to an awesome album :haz:

• Like 5

It may be completely different to anything else they've done...but it rocks your socks off from start to finish :haz:

It's filled to the brim with killer riffs and awesome solos, played by three guys who are pouring every ounce of their enthusiasm and hunger to succeed into every damn note.

It has to many guitar and vocal layers for my taste.... :sarcastic: :D
  • Like 1

:LOL:

• Like 1

And too much keyboards!!
  • Like 2

Well it was 40 years ago today,

Rush released their first album, hooray!,

They've been going in and out of style,

But they're guaranteed to raise a smile,

So may I introduce to you,

The act you've known for all these years,

The one and only, Rush band!

• Like 2

And too much keyboards!!

:cheers: :D

I don't get it...... :D

Edit: :sarcastic:

Edited by Narpzilla

Sgt. Peppers

I love the debut. I wish they would write hook-laden songs like that still.

:rush: :haz: :haz: :haz: :rush:

• Like 3

Sarcasm doesn't work very well on internet forums. :gumby:

Now you tell me...... :)
  • Like 1

Now you tell me...... :)

:LOL: :cheers:

• Like 1

I first heard it after jamming on All The World's A Stage, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Hemispheres, A Farewell To Kings and Caress Of Steel. I thought I would get the first one before I got the second one and then I got them all in order and listened to them a lot the way they were released. After a while I stopped listening to the first three and didn't really get into them again until the first CDs came out. Fly By Night became a favorite of the early days, but the first album never grew on me that much. When the Sector box sets came out I finally began to appreciate what a good debut album it is. If you compare it to some first albums by other bands you can see that right out of the gate there was a lot of potential there. With the addition of Neil all the parts were in place. In those days a record company gave a band a few albums to find themselves and they either progressed to something bigger or they got dumped. We all know the story of 2112 and how the fans embraced it and the rest is history, but without the debut we would have none of it. Edited by drbirdsong

I first heard it after jamming on All The World's A Stage, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Hemispheres, A Farewell To Kings and Caress Of Steel. I thought I would get the first one before I got the second one and then I got them all in order and listened to them a lot the way they were released. After a while I stopped listening to the first three and didn't really get into them again until the first CDs came out. Fly By Night became a favorite of the early days, but the first album never grew on me that much. When the Sector box sets came out I finally began to appreciate what a good debut album it is. If you compare it to some first albums by other bands you can see that right out of the gate there was a lot of potential there. With the addition of Neil all the parts were in place. In those days a record company gave a band a few albums to find themselves and they either progressed to something bigger or they got dumped. We all know the story of 2112 and how the fans embraced it and the rest is history, but without the debut we would have none of it.

I am sure there are and have been many excellent debut albums throughout music history. Off the top the best that come to my mind are Van Halen and Led Zeppelin. :rush: compares pretty well in my view but is probably not better than those two.... :huh: