"Countdown"

ShowgunSam

I just listened to this song a few minutes ago and never really realized how truly cinematic that song is. In fact, I think it's right up there with Red Barchetta, especially in terms of narrative quality. I also realized that I've never seen nor heard them perform it live. It could be a real eye-popper in a live setting. Why do you think they've never bothered to pull that one out of the vault? Too many keyboard parts, perhaps? What say you?

This song could really utilize video bits in the background. And pyro.

Maybe a tribute to Challenger/Columbia at the end.. The instrumental bit that eventually fades out could feature the picture of the crews (kinda like the soldiers with angel wings on WTA).

Maybe a tribute to Challenger/Columbia at the end.. The instrumental bit that eventually fades out could feature the picture of the crews (kinda like the soldiers with angel wings on WTA).

Or, it might be the exact reason why they DON'T play this live - might stir up too many negative memories.

Clem

• Like 1

I thought I once heard that they thought it was cheesy and didn't hold up well over time (same thing with Chemistry I believe). Sure, we think it's cool but if they don't like it they're not going to play it that's the way it is.

I thought I once heard that they thought it was cheesy and didn't hold up well over time (same thing with Chemistry I believe). Sure, we think it's cool but if they don't like it they're not going to play it that's the way it is.

Of course, at one point, they said the same thing about "The Camera Eye" :D

Clem

Or, it might be the exact reason why they DON'T play this live - might stir up too many negative memories.

Clem

doubt that's it. the pass could potentially stir up negative memories for those who knew a loved one who committed suicide, presto could offend ex-magicians who quit the biz, etc and they still play those

• Like 1

Perhaps surprisingly, Geddy Lee dismissed Countdown as "a pretty poor song" in 1992. "I love that one, actually," responds Lifeson, "but I know what he's saying: we could've spent more time on it."
http://www.2112.net/...0140200prog.htm

Neil doesn't think highly of it either...

"'Countdown' is another example of a song that didn't work at the time but led us forward. It was our first attempt at a documentary, taking real life and putting it into a song. It didn't work, but led us to 'Manhattan Project' [...] which has the correct balance between the music, the lyrics and the theme."

Source: http://www.2112.net/xanadu/interviews/neil.htm

Clem

doubt that's it. the pass could potentially stir up negative memories for those who knew a loved one who committed suicide, presto could offend ex-magicians who quit the biz, etc and they still play those

I don't think it would offend anyone. Maybe if they tour in 2016, they can do some sort of 30th anniversary deal. I don't know. The band likes the whole 30th anniversary thing. ;)

This song has grown on me considerably. The lyrics are clunky as hell, which is where I agree with Neil's assessment that they got the "formula" right on Manhattan Project. But I think the music is some of the best on Signals and I would love to see it represented again in a live set. But I think this song is just too 80's for them to ever consider playing again. Though I thought the same thing about The Body Electric and they wound up playing that!

I remember seeing them play this song on the Signals tour in Toronto. The crowd went mental. It went over very well… !!
  • Like 1

Every mock setlist I make for these guys includes Countdown/Secret Touch as the closer before the intermission. This song would be INSANE live with some Space Shuttle footage on the screens.