Neil's Drums (yet again) Drummers only

ACL

OK Drummers, lots of hate-on for DW, care to discuss? Is it Neils kits or DW in general? I have a DW and Pearl Kits, love them both, but my FAV Peart Kit is still the RED TAMA's.

:Neil: :rush:

That was interesting to watch. Those drums sound great. I think the problem with DW is that they tend to disappear in the mix rather than project.

I've played and heard lots of sets over the years, but I play on a Pearl kit now and it does what I need it to do. All the kits Neil has recorded and toured with (starting with Chromey) have sounded excellent to me. As you develop what you want your sound to be, changes will inevitably happen..and thats why i think he's stuck on DW. They make high quality drums to exact specifications. I think he may favor the natural sound and resonance aside from what may end up after post production in recordings. Personally i think the Slingerlands have my interest at the moment.
  • Like 1

You can put ten different drummers behind the same kit and potentially get ten different drum sounds. Guitars are similar in that respect.

I've always been more bothered by changes in Alex's sound/tone than changes in Neil's drum sound. If I prefer Neil's drum sound from PeW-Signals (and I'm not entirely sure that I do), it probably has more to do with mixing, mic placement, and tuning than the actual drums.

I’m planning on buying new drums this coming year and I think I’m going with Tama. That or Yamaha. The DWs that I hear on Neil’s recordings don’t sound good to me at all, but it must be the way they’re recorded. I really hate the sound of his 8 and 10 inch toms. They sound like tin cans.
  • Like 1

I think John Good must give out some really great tasting kool aid.

I think that's probably true. But with so many drummers playing DW there must be a reason for it other than his sales pitch.

I’m planning on buying new drums this coming year and I think I’m going with Tama. That or Yamaha. The DWs that I hear on Neil’s recordings don’t sound good to me at all, but it must be the way they’re recorded. I really hate the sound of his 8 and 10 inch toms. They sound like tin cans.

Sound like tupperware to me

I loved the sound of Neil's Red Tamas. His new kits look amazing but don't sound anywhere near as good. I still like the sound coming out of them for the most part. I can't imagine the anarchist sounding as awesome on the Tama kit.

Sound like tupperware to me

DW's are beautiful to look at, and an engineering marvel. They are a bit too musical for me, if that makes sense.

I have a Tama Starclassic and a Mapex Saturn set. The Mapex is the one I prefer, soundwise. The natural honey Tama set is better to look at.

I own two DW kits and I love them I will say that I do NOT like my DW 7000 double pedal. It's a piece of heavy steel shit. I prefer IRON COBRA!

Anyway as for Neil's DW kit I love the acoustic side of the drum set.

As for the electronics I think those drum pads are horrific and a complete waste of time and space.

I remember watching the boys play "The Trees" at the Concord Pavilion. I was dead center about ten rows back. Neil decided to play "The Trees" on the electronic side of his kit and it sounded like a piece to tin turd hitting a fuckking garbage can at a thousand miles an hour.

Those shit DW electronic cymbal pads were an embarrassment to rock and roll.

"The Trees" is absolutely one of the greatest songs in the Rush Canon yet that night Neil's shite DW electronic kit completely destroyed the integrity of the song.

My buddy who was with me that night was Paul. Ex drummer from the prog band Enchant. He blows me away when it comes to drumming and even he was disgusted by the sound.

I wish Neil would incorporate a fuckking double bass drum system back into his kit and ditch the fukking electronic crap!!

I will say that his "Grace" kit with the Simmons pads blew my mind back in 1984 but then again it was my first time seeing the band.

The red Tamas will always be my favorite.

I also have a hard on for his Ludwig kit on the "Presto" Tour. What a fukking black monster of a kit!!!

NEIL RULES!

I also have a hard on for his Ludwig kit on the "Presto" Tour. What a fukking black monster of a kit!!!

:haz:

So glad you agree Goose! Holy Toledo!

I remember gazing upon that kit after the show. It was like the Kraken Kit by Ludwig! The endless toms wrapping around the black abyss of percussion beauty!!

Personally I think that Buddy Rich Epic Fail Tribute Show really messed with Neil's head.

I'm old school buddy. As I totally respect Freddie Gruber and Neil Peart as two Pioneers to the world of percussionists, I totally hated the new Neil transformation and the entire reboot of Neil's drum style.

I also am a matchstick grip fan, not excited with the tradition grip.

Neil was embarrassed at that Buddy Rich Tribute show and wanted to evolve. Sadly I think Neil missed the Pro-"Mark." LOL! Bad joke.

Don't get me wrong, Neil Rules. He will always be my favorite drummer. I just miss the old Neil.

Neil is a grip it and rip it heavy hard prig rock drummer! HE CAN'T SWING! He never will although he does try hard!

Neil should pay homage to Keith Moon instead of Buddy!

Neil should just stop with homages and be himself on the drums!!

He's the greatest fuckking all around drummer in the world!

The greatest drummer of all time is SIMON PHILLIPS!

Signed,

"ALL THE BEST COWBOYS HAVE CHINESE EYES"

It's not about the brand at all. Every drum maker's top of the line is good enough for a professional drummer, and the differences are more about what flavor you prefer. The change in Neil's sound is more about how music recording has evolved over the years. In the 70s and 80s everyone wanted super dead sounding toms and kick, and now everything is wide open and un-dampened for the most part. Even the drumheads changed from dead oil-filled "hydraulic" Evans heads to regular heads with more resonance. I've owned tama, pearl, Ludwig, Gretsch, Yamaha, and DW drums, and tried just about anything else that's been around for any length of time. DW changed the game IMO, and every drum company responded in some way, most notably in hardware changes, such as suspended toms and non penetrating hardware on kick drums.

It's not about the brand at all. Every drum maker's top of the line is good enough for a professional drummer, and the differences are more about what flavor you prefer. The change in Neil's sound is more about how music recording has evolved over the years. In the 70s and 80s everyone wanted super dead sounding toms and kick, and now everything is wide open and un-dampened for the most part. Even the drumheads changed from dead oil-filled "hydraulic" Evans heads to regular heads with more resonance. I've owned tama, pearl, Ludwig, Gretsch, Yamaha, and DW drums, and tried just about anything else that's been around for any length of time. DW changed the game IMO, and every drum company responded in some way, most notably in hardware changes, such as suspended toms and non penetrating hardware on kick drums.

The hardware changes are awesome. Beautiful and practical. The evolution of desired recording sound is what I was referring to when I described DW's as too "musical". I like a warmer, deadened drum sound in rock and jazz playing. The DW sound reminds me of marching band drums.

Moving Pics and Signals are the gold standard, IMO. Two different sets of Tamas. I'm a sucker for Neil's old Slingerland #1, which I believe was used on those and also on Counterparts, which is the last really good sounding Rush record IMO.

He's got the DWs tuned so tight that the higher toms almost sound like cowbells or something. It's even worse live. To be honest, I really don't care for it.... I don't really understand the current fetish for ring and overtones that seems to be around.

I've played DWs and I thought they sounded as good anything else around.... but I never felt like they were worth anything close to the extra 2 grand you pay for them.