The camera eye

chasekratzer

Just a question. In neil pearts DVD taking center stage neil peart says that they thought they never played the camera eye on the moving pictures tour but someone recorded that they did. So my question is, did they ever perform the camera eye live on any tours before time machine.

Moving Pictures and Signals Tours.

yep. it was dropped at some point during signals I think

I wasn't there I've just read shit

My first show was the Signals tour, and they played an abbreviated version. Wish I had heard the complete version on the MP Tour.....

Looking at setlist.fm, they performed it on the exit stage left tour, but not on the actual exit stage left video and live release.

Actually, it is on Exit.. .Stage Left, at the very beginning! That's a live version from that exact show at the Montreal Forum, not the studio version.

They played it all through the MP, ESL, and as folks mentioned as a shortened, 7-minute version on the Signals tour. I guess it was thirty years ago, but you think you'd remember playing a song live many dozens of times over the span of a few years. Oh, Neil. :)
  • Like 1

They played it on the Moving Pictures, Exit... Stage Left and Signals tours. My friend and I argued for years about if they shortened it or not on the Signals tour until I finally heard a bootleg years later and then I killed him and buried him in a shallow grave.
  • Like 1

The Camera Eye is, I think, one of the best Rush songs ever. The lyrics are very clever and actually mean a lot. But, the music – holy shit… especially the slower parts in mid-song. Geddy’s Oberheim just kills the world there…
  • Like 3

I used to skip The Camera Eye way back in the day. It took a while for the song to grow on me. I could also say the same for Witch Hunt, Natural Science and Jacob's Ladder..... :)
  • Like 1

I used to skip The Camera Eye way back in the day. It took a while for the song to grow on me. I could also say the same for Witch Hunt, Natural Science and Jacob's Ladder..... :)

So you basically disliked all that was great about Rush..what were your favorite tunes by them back then?

• Like 1

before I was a rush fan I skipped all of side 2 on moving pictures if I ever listened to it, don't feel bad. when I first heard permanent waves, freewill was my favorite tune, now it's natural science or jacob's ladder. I had to train my ears for the proggier stuff.
  • Like 3

So you basically disliked all that was great about Rush..what were your favorite tunes by them back then?

I would say 90% of what they put out up to Power Windows. It's no different than when you prefer one side of an album to another for a while. Some songs click right away and some are an acquired taste...

before I was a rush fan I skipped all of side 2 on moving pictures if I ever listened to it, don't feel bad. when I first heard permanent waves, freewill was my favorite tune, now it's natural science or jacob's ladder. I had to train my ears for the proggier stuff.

Actually my son who is a musician taught me, when he got into the band through me, to appreciate some of their music in a different way than I had before....

Actually my son who is a musician taught me, when he got into the band through me, to appreciate some of their music in a different way than I had before....

This is the biggest hurdle in liking Rush. My nephew, who plays keys, and got accepted to Berklee, just doesn't dig them.. He likes stuff like billy Joel and The Eagles. .. You really do have to train your ears for the proggy stuff.. Sometimes it's not immediate upon first listen

• Like 1

they've got the most "has-to-grow-on-you" singer in rock history, and most of their songs just have too much going on or sound too f***ing weird for anyone who isn't used to that sorta thing to immediately like.
  • Like 3

The Camera Eye is, I think, one of the best Rush songs ever. The lyrics are very clever and actually mean a lot. But, the music – holy shit… especially the slower parts in mid-song. Geddy’s Oberheim just kills the world there…

OMG. Two epic rush songs in my opinion is the camera eye and XANADU.

• Like 2