What type of oven should i get my wife?

Aikenrooster

I have been getting a lot of miles, lately, and I've been thinking of getting my wife a new oven.

I know it has to be 30" and I am getting stainless steel and she wants a flat top surface, but I need suggestions on the type of oven ....

Convection? Double wall? Double oven?

I appreciate yalls input.

Truthfully if I said I was getting an oven or vacuum "for my wife" somebody might break out the old school rolling pin...... :P
  • Like 2

Truthfully if I said I was getting an oven or vacuum "for my wife" somebody might break out the old school rolling pin...... :P

I see your point. I use the stove top, but never the oven. I always use the grill, for stuff like that. But, at Christmas and Thanksgiving, whenever my wife bakes cookies for her family, this stuff never turns out right. That's why I'm thinking about a convection oven, but I would like other people's input.

We got a flat top convection oven, I really like it. My wife and I pretty much split cooking duties, I might do 60%...

supposedly, the oven gets hotter faster...is this true?

Do you have to adjust cooking times for convection oven?

There are "regular" ovens that also have a convection setting. Convection ovens move the hot air around the inside of the oven, which should bake things faster and more evenly. Baking times may need to be slightly reduced, but your results may vary.

Double or single oven? That depends on how much baking your wife does. When cooking for company I often have both my double ovens going.

These are my ovens, which I love: http://www.thermador.com/cooking/ovens/podc302j-30-inch-professional-series-double-oven They are very large inside, big enough for a huge turkey.

We got a flat top convection oven, I really like it. My wife and I pretty much split cooking duties, I might do 60%...

supposedly, the oven gets hotter faster...is this true?

Do you have to adjust cooking times for convection oven?

No necessarily hotter faster, but it does heat more evenly. I'd assume it's a little faster seeing there is a 3rd heating element. I can bake 2 trays of cookies on different racks without having to swap them. Very nice.

You do have to either adjust the time (which I do) or the temp. Ours has an automatic "convection temp convert" button... but I just bake it at the temp it's supposed to bake at and it's done a little faster. 1Hr bake time is really about 50 or so minutes.

• Like 1

There are "regular" ovens that also have a convection setting. Convection ovens move the hot air around the inside of the oven, which should bake things faster and more evenly. Baking times may need to be slightly reduced, but your results may vary.

Double or single oven? That depends on how much baking your wife does. When cooking for company I often have both my double ovens going.

These are my ovens, which I love: http://www.thermador.com/cooking/ovens/podc302j-30-inch-professional-series-double-oven They are very large inside, big enough for a huge turkey.

I have double ovens as well and use both frequently. The top oven has a convection setting and I like how evenly things come out (especially cookies and pizza). I use the top oven more than the bottom. What I like best about two ovens is that I bake in the top one and have the bottom one set to 200-250 to keep food warm and warm up plates. So, if you have the space, I would definitely go with double ovens. I would not go back to using just one.

Mine are GE Profile Performance. Both are full size. I love them but would recommend looking at reviews on Consumer Reports web site when choosing one to buy.

Edited by Janie

I have double ovens as well and use both frequently. The top oven has a convection setting and I like how evenly things come out (especially cookies and pizza). I use the top oven more than the bottom. What I like best about two ovens is that I bake in the top one and have the bottom one set to 200-250 to keep food warm and warm up plates. So, if you have the space, I would definitely go with double ovens. I would not go back to using just one.

Mine are GE Profile Performance. Both are full size. I love them but would recommend looking at reviews on Consumer Reports web site when choosing one to buy.

Good stuff! Thx.

Wait - if by "flat top" you mean one of those ceramic cooktops, you must be one of the 8 people who actually likes those. When I worked in homebuilding we pulled out about 70% of the ones we installed (that the buyer insisted on having. Three months later they almost invariably hated it).

Rooster, is this supposed to be a surprise? I suggest letting her pick it out. But I come from the Family of No Surprises, which is much better than the Family of Colossal Disappointments. Especially when it comes to something pricey that gets a lot of use.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

Wait - if by "flat top" you mean one of those ceramic cooktops, you must be one of the 8 people who actually likes those. When I worked in homebuilding we pulled out about 70% of the ones we installed (that the buyer insisted on having. Three months later they almost invariably hated it).

Rooster, is this supposed to be a surprise? I suggest letting her pick it out. But I come from the Family of No Surprises, which is much better than the Family of Colossal Disappointments. Especially when it comes to something pricey that gets a lot of use.

Of course I'm not going to buy it if she doesn't like it. Are you kidding me?

Of course I'm not going to buy it if she doesn't like it. Are you kidding me?

Smart man. :) It took my husband about 5 years of bad gift-giving to learn that complete and total surprises are just not a good idea where I'm concerned. Don't worry - I never was mean about it. The only time I ever tried but failed to hide my disappointment was the birthday when I was surprised - oh yeah - by the set of vomit green luggage. (He thought it was such a great gift because I was going out of town. For 3 days. To Chicago. At most I needed one small suitcase! )

I see your point. I use the stove top, but never the oven. I always use the grill, for stuff like that. But, at Christmas and Thanksgiving, whenever my wife bakes cookies for her family, this stuff never turns out right. That's why I'm thinking about a convection oven, but I would like other people's input.

My dad has one of those Rayburn stoves - flat silver top, chimney at the back, fire door on one end, oven door on the other end, a tray for the ashes beneath that, and...... my mother stuck her head in the oven.

• Like 1

I'd go the dual oven route. Also note:

Most broilers in ovens suck, because they top out at about 500oF, which is low for proper broiling.

An adequate range hood and exhaust system is a must!

Get her a 100 year old wood burning cook stove, like mine. Then, send her up to my house to cook for me... would like to post a picture but can't figure out how...