Favorite Bass Geddy Used

agubrizbassman

Revisit high standards, or retire already.

That's pretty much how I feel about your posting style! ;) :LOL:

His contrarian style works for me..... :)
  • Like 1

Yeah, but you weren't here when he was posting hilarious batshit crazy stuff like this:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/37368-seemingly-strange-question/

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/35919-test-your-love-for-rush/

That stuff was much more entertaining :yes: :LOL:

Yeah, but you weren't here when he was posting hilarious batshit crazy stuff like this:

http://www.therushfo...range-question/

http://www.therushfo...-love-for-rush/

Got it..... :)

I liked every bass he used except for the Steinberger...but if I had to pick it'd definitely would be his black Rickenbacker 4001. That Ricky looked cool as f**k! One of these days I hope to get either a black Rickenbacker or his sig model bass that Fender sells.

Is the Steinberger the sh*ty sounding one from the Hold Your Fire era?..... :huh: :D-13:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/books/bass-player-11.1988/bass-player-11.1988-2-s.jpg

In one of the vids in the Magical Bass Tour thread he remarks about his hair from that era as well, in response to "Any fashion moves you regret?". Ged refers to it as his racoon hat look.

He used the Steinberger on the Signals Tour, the P/G album and tour, and the Power Windows tour. That picture is from the Power Windows tour cause by the time Hold Your Fire came out, he ditched the Steinberger for good. Initially he recorded on the Steinberger for Power Windows but the producer Peter Collins suggested that Geddy should try his Wal MKI bass which he did and he rerecorded the bass tracks on that Wal bass and eventually he got a duplicate of that bass for himself. In hindsight, Geddy said that the Steinberger was a piece of s**t and that he only liked it cause it had no headstock so it wouldn't wack into the keyboards.

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

I liked every bass he used except for the Steinberger...but if I had to pick it'd definitely would be his black Rickenbacker 4001. That Ricky looked cool as f**k! One of these days I hope to get either a black Rickenbacker or his sig model bass that Fender sells.

Is the Steinberger the sh*ty sounding one from the Hold Your Fire era?..... :huh: :D-13:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/books/bass-player-11.1988/bass-player-11.1988-2-s.jpg

In one of the vids in the Magical Bass Tour thread he remarks about his hair from that era as well, in response to "Any fashion moves you regret?". Ged refers to it as his racoon hat look.

He used the Steinberger on the Signals Tour, the P/G album and tour, and the Power Windows tour. That picture is from the Power Windows tour cause by the time Hold Your Fire came out, he ditched the Steinberger for good. Initially he recorded on the Steinberger for Power Windows but the producer Peter Collins suggested that Geddy should try his Wal MKI bass which he did and he rerecorded the bass tracks on that Wal bass and eventually he got a duplicate of that bass for himself. In hindsight, Geddy said that the Steinberger was a piece of s**t and that he only liked it cause it had no headstock so it wouldn't wack into the keyboards.

Thanks for the info. He's wearing his Daniel Boone hat in this pic too.... :)
  • Like 3

Age tempers us all...except maybe Reb.

So, why did Geddy abandon the Rick and/or never use it again after experimenting with other basses?

Many reasons. One being was that he claimed to have gotten "bored" with how it sounded around the start of the synth era. He also gave the following quote from an interview with Bass Guitar magazine as another reason...

I broke it out when we started recording the last album Snakes & Arrows, but we just didn't like the way it sounded. We just couldn't get the sounds out of it that we get so easily out of the Jazz, so there didn't seem to be any point. Could we have made it work? Yes. Would we have gotten anything unique out of it? I didn't think so, and neither did our producer, so we just gave up on it. I think we wanted to use it just so we could say we'd used it, ha ha!
  • Like 1

So, why did Geddy abandon the Rick and/or never use it again after experimenting with other basses?

Many reasons. One being was that he claimed to have gotten "bored" with how it sounded around the start of the synth era. He also gave the following quote from an interview with Bass Guitar magazine as another reason...

I broke it out when we started recording the last album Snakes & Arrows, but we just didn't like the way it sounded. We just couldn't get the sounds out of it that we get so easily out of the Jazz, so there didn't seem to be any point. Could we have made it work? Yes. Would we have gotten anything unique out of it? I didn't think so, and neither did our producer, so we just gave up on it. I think we wanted to use it just so we could say we'd used it, ha ha!

The Rick refuses to play crap, that's all.

he talks about it all here

• Like 1

Not sure it it was the bass or the production but....

The Wal had definition, good for hearing speedy playing, but the low end was weak. The jazz sounds cool, great bottom end, but often hard to hear the notes, lacks definition. The Rick had definition and a better low end than the Wal but not as good as the jazz. The Steinburger was light, but sounded dull, and I think Geddy said the strings were either hard to change or hard to keep in tune.

• Like 1

OMG, I forgot he was a Dirxst! :scared:

I must have blanked it from my memory like certain other traumatic events in my life!

It's pretty widely accepted by people who play bass that Rickenbackers are very hard to play. I imagine that the ease of use would be a major factor. Plus, the Fender Jazz is a versatile instrument that kind of falls in the middle between others he's used, so it's a reasonable enough substitute for the sounds he needs live.

Edited by Dscrapre
  • Like 1

The Ric 4001 sounded great the way he ran it with the Ric-O-Sound. Now with the Jazz he can get that same sound. Technology is awesome.

The Ric is like playing a telephone pole compared the the Fender Jazz (I own both) so I can see why, once technology caught up with him, he went to the Jazz bass.

That is a cop-out, imo. It all comes down to money.

What's a cop-out? What do you mean?

:huh:

His decision to drop the Rick for the Fender was financially motivated.

Couldn't disagree more. After all of this you think he's going to compromise himself musically for a paycheck?

I play the Fender Jazz and the Ric. Fender? Easiest bass ever to play. Ric? Not so much.

He/They've already compromised on many levels. Utilizing newer instruments/technologies that makes things easy to play, while at the same time compromising the sound/character of their music? Bullshit, imo. Revisit high standards, or retire already.

You're a douche. When has Rush not embraced technology? Sampling sounds as opposed to bringing out 2 tons worth of keyboards is compromising themselves?

I am going to guess that you are not a musician.

The Ric 4001 sounded great the way he ran it with the Ric-O-Sound. Now with the Jazz he can get that same sound. Technology is awesome.

The Ric is like playing a telephone pole compared the the Fender Jazz (I own both) so I can see why, once technology caught up with him, he went to the Jazz bass.

That is a cop-out, imo. It all comes down to money.

What's a cop-out? What do you mean?

:huh:

His decision to drop the Rick for the Fender was financially motivated.

Couldn't disagree more. After all of this you think he's going to compromise himself musically for a paycheck?

I play the Fender Jazz and the Ric. Fender? Easiest bass ever to play. Ric? Not so much.

He/They've already compromised on many levels. Utilizing newer instruments/technologies that makes things easy to play, while at the same time compromising the sound/character of their music? Bullshit, imo. Revisit high standards, or retire already.

You're a douche. When has Rush not embraced technology? Sampling sounds as opposed to bringing out 2 tons worth of keyboards is compromising themselves?

I am going to guess that you are not a musician.

You don't grasp what Ive stated

Totally grasped it. "Utilizing newer instruments/technologies that makes things easy to play."

At the cost of character and/or sound quality..

I couldn't disagree more. Sound quality is obvious. They're choosing a different sound, not unable to achieve a certain sound. You can't judge from live recordings.

Character? How can you attack their character for using the simplest way to get the same sound? It's not like they're not playing their instruments or bringing in a keyboard player??

Oh, geez.. The music itself lacks character!! They compromised principles once held high during their golden years, but thats another (albeit related) issue.

Yup. Douche. :bitchslap:

I don't care much for the newer stuff. I don't think it's because they have compromised on principles. They went a different direction. The end. If they didn't take chances and explore new areas after Fly By Night we would have never been given the gifts of 2112 and Hemispheres.

Let them explore new areas but don't say it lacks character just because you disagree with their direction.

Oh, geez.. The music itself lacks character!! They compromised principles once held high during their golden years, but thats another (albeit related) issue.

Yup. Douche. :bitchslap:

I don't care much for the newer stuff. I don't think it's because they have compromised on principles. They went a different direction. The end. If they didn't take chances and explore new areas after Fly By Night we would have never been given the gifts of 2112 and Hemispheres.

Let them explore new areas but don't say it lacks character just because you disagree with their direction.

:popcorn:

• Like 1