Favorite Bass Geddy Used

agubrizbassman

Oh, geez.. The music itself lacks character!! They compromised principles once held high during their golden years, but thats another (albeit related) issue.

Yup. Douche. :bitchslap:

I don't care much for the newer stuff. I don't think it's because they have compromised on principles. They went a different direction. The end. If they didn't take chances and explore new areas after Fly By Night we would have never been given the gifts of 2112 and Hemispheres.

Let them explore new areas but don't say it lacks character just because you disagree with their direction.

They've been exploring this directional vein, with little divergence, for over 10 years. With tepid results..

Oh, geez.. The music itself lacks character!! They compromised principles once held high during their golden years, but thats another (albeit related) issue.

Yup. Douche. :bitchslap:

I don't care much for the newer stuff. I don't think it's because they have compromised on principles. They went a different direction. The end. If they didn't take chances and explore new areas after Fly By Night we would have never been given the gifts of 2112 and Hemispheres.

Let them explore new areas but don't say it lacks character just because you disagree with their direction.

They've been exploring this directional vein, with little divergence, for over 10 years. With tepid results..

The last 10 years... you mean two albums? Yeah, they're really beating it to death. :beathorse:

Edited by KennyLee

overall it's the Rick. His late '70s-early '80s sound was fantastic. I also really like the Wal because, even though it doesn't have a deep bottom end or aggressive punch, it's the most distinct "you can hear every single note clear as day" tone I've ever heard on record or live.

My least favorite is the Steinberger. It's ugly and had a tone somewhere between the Rick and Wal but not close enough to either to be fun to listen to.

I have mixed feelings about the Fender Jazz. On Moving Pictures and Signals (Digital Man) and much later on Counterparts it sounded great. Starting with TFE onward though it started to get too distorted and overdriven and I can't make out many of the notes in the wall of guitar sound they've taken to. Live it sounds like shit unfortunatly. Way too much overdrive with no finesse.

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about the Fender Jazz. On Moving Pictures and Signals (Digital Man) and much later on Counterparts it sounded great. Starting with TFE onward though it started to get too distorted and overdriven and I can't make out many of the notes in the wall of guitar sound they've taken to. Live it sounds like shit unfortunatly. Way too much overdrive with no finesse.

Same thing happened with John Entwistle's bass tone. Maybe they're losing their hearing.

• Like 1

Same thing happened with John Entwistle's bass tone. Maybe they're losing their hearing.

That'll explain it! So many bands I've liked for decades have taken to overly loud, distorted or clipped production. But then, they are all geriatric! :LOL:

• Like 1

For me, it's hard to beat the sound of Geddy's Ricky 4001 on A Farewell To Kings... especially on Cygnus and Xanadu.
  • Like 2

For me, it's hard to beat the sound of Geddy's Ricky 4001 on A Farewell To Kings... especially on Cygnus and Xanadu.

Even though Geddy was using his 4001 to record starting with FBN, his sound didn't really start to get aggressive until AFTK. If you listen to FBN,COS,2112, his bass sound isn't as punchy as it would get in later years.

• Like 1