2112 - Does it tell a good story or is it just 20 minutes of rockin' riffs

USB Connector

Musically, there are parts of the song that are simply phenomenal—especially, of course, the opening few minutes. Other parts pretty much lose me, but that's okay—not every epic can be Close to the Edge.

Lyrically, well, their intentions were nice. Can't help but chuckle or shake my head during some sections. Fine for where they were at the time, but thank goodness they grew up.

I agree with this assessment of the song. The first 6:45 is among the best the band has ever done, while the rest of the song is pretty uneven. "Discovery" is pretty cringeworthy, IMO, and there's a reason they didn't bother playing "The Oracle" live until 1997—it is another stop and start momentum killer, something the song suffers from as a long piece. Don't get me wrong, I love "2112" and I appreciate its importance in making the band what they are today, but I don't think all parts of it have aged equally as well.

This is exactly how I feel about 2112. I would only add this point:

I didn't grow up with this album. I knew about it, of course, cuz all the cool kids drew the Starman on the backs of their denim jackets. I had heard the first couple albums and the 80s stuff before I went back to "find" the prog stuff. - which I now love. I know I missed out on something by not connecting with the story of 2112 as a teenager/young adult. Listening as a 30-something, I found the story to be simplistic and silly in places.

I'm guessing that all the "alienated teens" who found a kindred spirit with the protagonist of 2112 are the largest reason why the album was so huge and catapulted Rush to stardom.

Sure, Overture/Syrinx/Grand Finale are fantastic, but side one as a whole it doesn't musically surpass Lamneth by a whole lot. And better music was soon to follow.

There's a question as to whether 2112 tells a story or not? I must have misunderstood the original question.

Or, maybe I'm just going mental... or bald. Wait, I'm already bald.

Are you high?

As usual, your opinions are clearly stated and points are well justified. Such an insightful addition to the discussion.

He's now a Dr. and probably thinks his quips are as clever as sitcom Sheldon's.

"or" implies the two are mutually exclusive.

Which they aren't.

Rock guitar frees the world from tyranny and the controlling temple priests but one man must be sacrificed (the guitar player) for the good of all.

But, in the end, we are left wondering: meet the new boss, same as the old boss? "we have assumed control"….

Are you high?

As usual, your opinions are clearly stated and points are well justified. Such an insightful addition to the discussion.

He's now a Dr. and probably thinks his quips are as clever as sitcom Sheldon's.

So...not clever at all?

I agree, the song is both brilliantly played, and intellectually involving. Stunning song. The two are most definitely NOT mutually exclusive.

Which they aren't.

Rock guitar frees the world from tyranny and the controlling temple priests but one man must be sacrificed (the guitar player) for the good of all.

But, in the end, we are left wondering: meet the new boss, same as the old boss? "we have assumed control"….

Yeah, that was my mistake when making the thread. My post sort of goes into the two being related but I forgot to modify the title after I was done writing the body.

Which they aren't.

Yeah, that was my mistake when making the thread. My post sort of goes into the two being related but I forgot to modify the title after I was done writing the body.

Think about it like this, the story is about Rock Guitar being the liberator of an oppressed society. Should a "rock epic" or rock opera attempt anything more profound then that… it would just be pretentious. (see Yes, Queensryche)

High concept Rock music works when it sticks to "rock" themes like Pinball or youth and rebellion.

• Like 1

Which they aren't.

I never was left with a sense of wonder. It was always pretty clear to me that the good guys win. Many years later, Neil finally confirmed that this was his intention. Edited by goose
  • Like 1

but the title track, with a bit of extra padding, would make a great sci-fi!

The title track with a bit of extra padding is a book called Anthem.

:clap:

it ended up being quite similar to a book called Anthem by the writer Ayn Rand. But I didn't realize that while I was working on it, and then eventually as the story came together, the parallels became obvious to me and I thought, 'Oh gee, I don't want to be a plagiarist here.' So I did give credit to her writings in the liner notes.[7] :ph34r:

Wiki

• Like 1

I'm trying to read Anthem...a bit of a strangeness to be honest, I think I have come across better dystopian novels.

Which they aren't.

No mistake. "Or" can be use exclusively (one but not the other) or inclusively (one, the other, or both). I understood which use you intended.

I'm trying to read Anthem...a bit of a strangeness to be honest, I think I have come across better dystopian novels.

There's not much action...and you have to put the ideas in there historical context to fully appreciate them. They were pretty radical at the time.

Not often i'm that critical of fans' views or thoughts of any kind in here but come on, 20 mins of rocking riffs like the question is relevant in any way? 2112 is a rush masterpiece mannn the question i'm asking is why the f*ck have i given any time at all to this.

out.

I like the story of 2112. Especially "Discovery." It has a very cinematic quality to it and I could definitely see this part played out in a movie.

Oh yeah...the riffs rock hard too.

• Like 1

I think the story is a little juvenile now that i lsiten to it so many years later..but i still love it..

A little? :P

Like Clockwork Angels is so adult? Please.

Who the heck wants to grow up? Not me. :)

• Like 2

I agree...plus I can follow the story to 2112. Having never read the book, I have no idea what the story is to CA, even with the liner notes!

Juvenile? I think 2112 is a great piece of sci-fi, up there with the likes of H.G. Wells and Jules Verne for enjoyability!

Like Clockwork Angels is so adult?

Actually, yes—in certain respects, it sure is. There's no way that the prepubescent Peart who penned 2112 could've written about rage like elder Peart did in The Anarchist or about deifying people like he did in Halo Effect, to name a couple of examples.

2112 is not childish!

Fair point Cyclonus, but on the other hand the younger Peart wrote more coherent storylines.

Yay debates!

Like Clockwork Angels is so adult?

Actually, yes—in certain respects, it sure is. There's no way that the prepubescent Peart who penned 2112 could've written about rage like elder Peart did in The Anarchist or about deifying people like he did in Halo Effect, to name a couple of examples.

Prepubescent Peart? :LOL: Well considering the book story is about as juvenile as they come I disagree. Just because there's scorned love and anger in there doesn't mean it's maturely written.