Guitar virgin

Janie

Listen this thread is all wrong! It should be about sacrificing virgins, not guitar virgins! Then we'll truly know we're on the METAL path! :blaze: :haz:

I'm willing to sacrifice my guitar virginity to the master guitar player Alex Lifeson.

Funny thing happened earlier today... I actually watched Alex playing guitar. I mean, like... watched him play. I studied his fingers. He is intimidating. I caught myself thinking, "I could never do anything close to that" and had a second of discouragement. That quickly faded though. Takes a lot to bring this broad down.

• Like 2

Listen this thread is all wrong! It should be about sacrificing virgins, not guitar virgins! Then we'll truly know we're on the METAL path! :blaze: :haz:

I'm willing to sacrifice my guitar virginity to the master guitar player Alex Lifeson.

Funny thing happened earlier today... I actually watched Alex playing guitar. I mean, like... watched him play. I studied his fingers. He is intimidating. I caught myself thinking, "I could never do anything close to that" and had a second of discouragement. That quickly faded though. Takes a lot to bring this broad down.

You can have a go, you never know! :sundog: :guitar:

There's nothing like meeting Alex in person, by chance, shaking his hand, telling him that he taught you how to play guitar, and having him smile and say, "No, you taught yourself how to play."

:haz"

I've been playing guitar since I was a high-school kid. Went to see Rush in 2012, saw Alex play the Analog Kid solo, and felt that intimidation and discouragement that you're talking about, even with my years of experience. But once that passed, I found myself more inspired than ever to pick up the instrument, jam away, and keep on getting better.

Having a guitar with a thicker wider neck has been helpful for me, thin necks cause my forearm and hand to cramp up more often for some reason (YMMV)?

Maybe head over to a guitar shop and try some other guitars and see if you can find a more comfortable guitar?

I really like vintage style Les Paul and Tele/Strat FAT necks

Having a guitar with a thicker wider neck has been helpful for me, thin necks cause my forearm and hand to cramp up more often for some reason (YMMV)?

Maybe head over to a guitar shop and try some other guitars and see if you can find a more comfortable guitar?

Really? I was thinking that I needed something smaller/thinner so I could easily wrap my hand around it and get my fingers to where they need to be. You're right though in that I should go into a store and just try a whole bunch of styles. I'm still at the intimidated stage though.

Really? I was thinking that I needed something smaller/thinner so I could easily wrap my hand around it and get my fingers to where they need to be. You're right though in that I should go into a store and just try a whole bunch of styles. I'm still at the intimidated stage though.

How are things going on Rocksmith for you?

Are you still enjoying it?

How are things going on Rocksmith for you?

Are you still enjoying it?

Slow. But I am enjoying it.

Something interesting is happening. I'm finding that I'm preferring to play on my acoustic rather than the electric. I like learning on the electric but then I immediately try it on the acoustic and prefer that sound.

Something interesting is happening. I'm finding that I'm preferring to play on my acoustic rather than the electric. I like learning on the electric but then I immediately try it on the acoustic and prefer that sound.

That's because you're a nice, sweet hippie girl at heart. Pretty cool actually, but that won't cut it when we're covering Birth Ritual, so keep at it with the electric as well.

Yes, it made perfect sense. My advice when you're learning something new on the instrument is this: get it right. Look at the fretboard, play it slowly—do what you have to do to nail it. And then when you're comfortable with it, pick up the pace, start playing it without looking, etc. When people try to get fancy or take things too quickly, they play the parts incorrectly, and that's how bad habits form. The incorrect way of playing becomes engrained.

After years of "playing" the guitar, I'm reteaching myself this way...

Never take shortcuts - they're only temporary solutions and, as Cyclonus said, the bad habits become your style. Once that hapens you'll find yourself incapable of playing a song that should be well within your ability,

• Like 1

That's because you're a nice, sweet hippie girl at heart. Pretty cool actually, but that won't cut it when we're covering Birth Ritual, so keep at it with the electric as well.

But if I stay with the acoustic, I can rock out a kickin' version of, "Michael Row Your Boat Ashore" for you.

Definitely try out the different necks. Three of my guitars (the Fenders) have modern C-shaped necks, and are very comfortable. My Music Man has a very thin neck, but is also extremely comfortable and fun to play. It is quite an adjustment, though, to go from playing the Music man for a couple of weeks, back to one of the Fenders.

But if I stay with the acoustic, I can rock out a kickin' version of, "Michael Row Your Boat Ashore" for you.

I fear that the crowds at TRFpalooza are going to boo us off the stage. :facepalm:

• Like 2

I fear that the crowds at TRFpalooza are going to boo us off the stage. :facepalm:d

And I was getting so excited about playing, 'Spindrift' for everyone too. :(

I fear that the crowds at TRFpalooza are going to boo us off the stage. :facepalm:d

:eh:

Perhaps you should let me come up with the setlist... :)

• Like 1

Please do! Impart on me your music wisdom! :LOL:
  • Like 1

Please do! Impart on me your music wisdom! :LOL:

You are wise to defer to me in these matters (...and quite nice to indulge me).

Let's do something sinister (like Spindrift) that's actually good (unlike Spindrift). Being that you're a Seattle girl, Alice in Chains' "Angry Chair" would be quite fitting. It would take you about two seconds to learn, and people might actually enjoy it instead of throwing things at us.

I just noticed this thread for the first time, so I just want to relate something to the title- I still consider myself a guitar virgin as well, even though I've been playing for two years now.

He is pretty intimidating, yes- not even by watching him play, which I think is true, of course, but even by looking at a tab or chord sheet. I quickly figured out that his writing comes from...somewhere else, you know what I mean? Really amazing stuff.

I play only acoustic- I don't own an electric guitar and I don't want one, at this point. I have a Martin that has pickups on it, but I've never indulged. All acoustic is just fine for me.

Consequently, the Rush songs that I have been able to learn so far are mellow ones, and fairly simple- Tears, Rivendell...then I got pretty bold and started on the title track from Presto (rhythm only- I'm not exactly the lead-guitarist type).

Most of what I play is in the folk vein, though- and some of the things that I thought would be simple to play- people like Paul Simon, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell- are not easy or simple at all. I like to play a lot of Ray Lamontagne, and some of the Bob Dylan songs that involved a lot of finger-picking. I love that...

I play only acoustic- I don't own an electric guitar and I don't want one, at this point. I have a Martin that has pickups on it, but I've never indulged. All acoustic is just fine for me.

Consequently, the Rush songs that I have been able to learn so far are mellow ones, and fairly simple- Tears, Rivendell...then I got pretty bold and started on the title track from Presto (rhythm only- I'm not exactly the lead-guitarist type).

Most of what I play is in the folk vein, though- and some of the things that I thought would be simple to play- people like Paul Simon, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell- are not easy or simple at all. I like to play a lot of Ray Lamontagne, and some of the Bob Dylan songs that involved a lot of finger-picking. I love that...

Can you play Clap? If so, there's a spot for you on TRFpalooza.

Definitely try out the different necks. Three of my guitars (the Fenders) have modern C-shaped necks, and are very comfortable. My Music Man has a very thin neck, but is also extremely comfortable and fun to play. It is quite an adjustment, though, to go from playing the Music man for a couple of weeks, back to one of the Fenders.

Will do! Thanks for the advice, as always. :)