Guitar virgin

Janie

Funny thing happened earlier today... I actually watched Alex playing guitar. I mean, like... watched him play. I studied his fingers. He is intimidating. I caught myself thinking, "I could never do anything close to that" and had a second of discouragement. That quickly faded though. Takes a lot to bring this broad down.

He is pretty intimidating, yes- not even by watching him play, which I think is true, of course, but even by looking at a tab or chord sheet. I quickly figured out that his writing comes from...somewhere else, you know what I mean? Really amazing stuff.

I'm still blown away that Alex doesn't seem to get much attention for being the great guitarist he is.

Something interesting is happening. I'm finding that I'm preferring to play on my acoustic rather than the electric. I like learning on the electric but then I immediately try it on the acoustic and prefer that sound.

I play only acoustic- I don't own an electric guitar and I don't want one, at this point. I have a Martin that has pickups on it, but I've never indulged. All acoustic is just fine for me.

Consequently, the Rush songs that I have been able to learn so far are mellow ones, and fairly simple- Tears, Rivendell...then I got pretty bold and started on the title track from Presto (rhythm only- I'm not exactly the lead-guitarist type).

Most of what I play is in the folk vein, though- and some of the things that I thought would be simple to play- people like Paul Simon, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell- are not easy or simple at all. I like to play a lot of Ray Lamontagne, and some of the Bob Dylan songs that involved a lot of finger-picking. I love that...

Are you self-taught or did you/are you taking lessons?

Funny thing happened earlier today... I actually watched Alex playing guitar. I mean, like... watched him play. I studied his fingers. He is intimidating. I caught myself thinking, "I could never do anything close to that" and had a second of discouragement. That quickly faded though. Takes a lot to bring this broad down.

He is pretty intimidating, yes- not even by watching him play, which I think is true, of course, but even by looking at a tab or chord sheet. I quickly figured out that his writing comes from...somewhere else, you know what I mean? Really amazing stuff.

I'm still blown away that Alex doesn't seem to get much attention for being the great guitarist he is.

I think he does... if you ask the right people. ;)

Having a guitar with a thicker wider neck has been helpful for me, thin necks cause my forearm and hand to cramp up more often for some reason (YMMV)?

Maybe head over to a guitar shop and try some other guitars and see if you can find a more comfortable guitar?

I really like vintage style Les Paul and Tele/Strat FAT necks

Really? I was thinking that I needed something smaller/thinner so I could easily wrap my hand around it and get my fingers to where they need to be. You're right though in that I should go into a store and just try a whole bunch of styles. I'm still at the intimidated stage though.

You need to start finger tapping immediately! Then try and practice both alternate picking and sweep picking and string skipping all at the same time! And don't forget to mute the strings with your tongue to get teenage boy fans!

• Like 1

Don't forget to shoot fireworks out of it too like the Space Ace does in Shock Me!!

She should play Shock Me and dress up like Ace, she'd have teenage boys eating out her palm muting...

I'll change the lyrics to Janie-style!

Your guitar lessons are all I need

My guitar vocabulary grows

You make me pick with ease

You make my notes flow

Don't cut the power on me

I'm still in tune, I promise I'll stop soon!

Shock me, I'll make you feel better

Shock me, I'll put on my black leather

Shock me, we can play guitar together

And baby, if you do what you've been told

static electricity makes my pink wig explode and teenage boys make me overload

Don't pull the plug on me, no, no

Keep it in and keep me playing

Shock me, I promise to play better

Shock me, I'll let you put on my black leather

Shock me, we can play Spanish Eyes together

Come on

Shock me, baby, shock me, oh yeah

Shock me, baby, shock me, oh yeah

Shock me, make me feel better, oh yeah

Come on and shock me, put on my black leather

and my stockings wig and feathers

Baby, I'm down to my last string

Shock me, I'll play in any weather

Oh yeah, I wanna feel guitar power

Shock me, make me play better

Baby, I'll down get down to my the bare butt to get better

Shock me, I'll put on skimpy black leather

Baby, come on, come on, shock me

• Like 3

Alex is, across the board, possibly the most underrated guitarist in rock and roll.

Yes, depending on who you ask.

I think he runs circles around other highly-regarded guitar god types, like Jimmy Page, for example. I just think Alex has never gotten his proper due.

• Like 1

Something interesting is happening. I'm finding that I'm preferring to play on my acoustic rather than the electric. I like learning on the electric but then I immediately try it on the acoustic and prefer that sound.

I play only acoustic- I don't own an electric guitar and I don't want one, at this point. I have a Martin that has pickups on it, but I've never indulged. All acoustic is just fine for me.

Consequently, the Rush songs that I have been able to learn so far are mellow ones, and fairly simple- Tears, Rivendell...then I got pretty bold and started on the title track from Presto (rhythm only- I'm not exactly the lead-guitarist type).

Most of what I play is in the folk vein, though- and some of the things that I thought would be simple to play- people like Paul Simon, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell- are not easy or simple at all. I like to play a lot of Ray Lamontagne, and some of the Bob Dylan songs that involved a lot of finger-picking. I love that...

I took a half-hour lesson once a week for a little less than a year. I really liked the first instructor I had, but he started having some Healy problems and had to reduce his workload by half, and I was a casualty of that. The next guy I started with, I didn't really like at all, so I just quit.

I'm actually thinking of taking lessons again from a classical teacher, but I haven't taken that plunge yet.

Lifeson's definitely underrated. He gets overshadow by his phenomenal bandmates and frequently plays a "serve the song" role rather than leaping to the forefront. And his group isn't as well known as many of those that feature guitarists who get more acclaim.

Alex is, across the board, possibly the most underrated guitarist in rock and roll.

The above being said, I can simply stick to '70s prog bands and still come up with guitarists that I'd sooner call the "most underrated in rock," guys who came up with tougher rhythm parts, soloed just as well, lived by the same "the song's the most important thing" philosophy, and received fewer accolades. But it's ultimately a subjective thing.

I took a half-hour lesson once a week for a little less than a year. I really liked the first instructor I had, but he started having some Healy problems and had to reduce his workload by half, and I was a casualty of that. The next guy I started with, I didn't really like at all, so I just quit.

I'm actually thinking of taking lessons again from a classical teacher, but I haven't taken that plunge yet.

I want to take that plunge too. I would love to find someone willing to teach me and my 7-year-old. He loves the guitar. He always has. I grew up playing music and believe it's so important for kids to pick up an instrument. Since he loves guitar so much I'd like to share this experience with him. He is a huge Lifeson fan. We both sit and watch 'Hope' over and over again. Lately his favorite song is YYZ. I'm thinking I should be able to nail that in.... never.

I was wondering Blue J, what kind of acoustic do you have? The one I have is my mom's old one and I know it's not the best guitar. I still love to play it but I want to upgrade to a really nice one.

Yes, depending on who you ask.

I think he runs circles around other highly-regarded guitar god types, like Jimmy Page, for example. I just think Alex has never gotten his proper due.

I love Pagey and Alex for completely different reasons. It's silly to compare really.

• Like 1

I was wondering Blue J, what kind of acoustic do you have? The one I have is my mom's old one and I know it's not the best guitar. I still love to play it but I want to upgrade to a really nice one.

I was torn by wanting a really nice instrument and knowing that I probably should start out with something closer to entry-level, since I had never played a note on guitar, until I bought one. I got a Martin DX-1 with a rosewood neck and head- most of the DX-1s are spruce in the neck and head, but mine is rosewood. It's funny, I've played quite a few of the high-end Martins, but I actually like the sound I get out of mine better. (OK, actually there was an OO-17 that I really loved, but $1700 was and still is a little too rich for my blood. I mean I could, if I really really wanted to, but I'm happy with what I have).

The list price on my DX-1 is $750 or $800, but I got a good deal on it. I bought it on Christmas Eve 2011 for $560 out the door (hard shell case included). I highly recommend it. For a guitar with an HPL body, it has a really beautiful sound.

Edited by Blue J

I want to take that plunge too. I would love to find someone willing to teach me and my 7-year-old. He loves the guitar. He always has. I grew up playing music and believe it's so important for kids to pick up an instrument. Since he loves guitar so much I'd like to share this experience with him. He is a huge Lifeson fan. We both sit and watch 'Hope' over and over again. Lately his favorite song is YYZ. I'm thinking I should be able to nail that in.... never.

My son who just turned ten is moderately interested in Rush. I haven't been able to get him hooked yet. I was so proud when I was watching one of the live DVDs, not too long ago, and he came in right as a new song was starting, but his attention was caught by the one that had just ended. "Was that Freewill?", he asked. And I, completely taken aback, said, "Well, yes, yes it was!" I was so excited...

My six year old is the one who seems to be more interested in my guitar, though. He'll open the case, lift the pick out of the strings and just start some murderous strumming. He goes wild on it. It's fun, though- he's not hurting anything. I'm trying to teach him some dynamics, but it's not catching on yet.

And they both love to pound away on my drum kit. :)

• Like 1

I love Pagey and Alex for completely different reasons. It's silly to compare really.

Oh, I didn't mean at all that I don't like Page's playing. But his style, I think, is much more sloppy. I just meant that from a technical point of view, I feel that Alex is much better. But I would bet that each one of them can do some things that the other might not be able to.

I was torn by wanting a really nice instrument and knowing that I probably should start out with something closer to entry-level, since I had never played a note on guitar, until I bought one. I got a Martin DX-1 with a rosewood neck and head- most of the DX-1s are spruce in the neck and head, but mine is rosewood. It's funny, I've played quite a few of the high-end Martins, but I actually like the sound I get out of mine better. (OK, actually there was an OO-17 that I really loved, but $1700 was and still is a little too rich for my blood. I mean I could, if I really really wanted to, but I'm happy with what I have).

The list price on my DX-1 is $750 or $800, but I got a good deal on it. I bought it on Christmas Eve 2011 for $560 out the door (hard shell case included). I highly recommend it. For a guitar with an HPL body, it has a really beautiful sound.

I love reading your responses! Thank you SO much. Very insightful, as always.

Ok, I am definitely excited now to venture into a music store. I may not know my way around every guitar but I really want to take a look at what my options are. And to get my hands all over some beautiful guitars.

My son who just turned ten is moderately interested in Rush. I haven't been able to get him hooked yet. I was so proud when I was watching one of the live DVDs, not too long ago, and he came in right as a new song was starting, but his attention was caught by the one that had just ended. "Was that Freewill?", he asked. And I, completely taken aback, said, "Well, yes, yes it was!" I was so excited...

My six year old is the one who seems to be more interested in my guitar, though. He'll open the case, lift the pick out of the strings and just start some murderous strumming. He goes wild on it. It's fun, though- he's not hurting anything. I'm trying to teach him some dynamics, but it's not catching on yet.

My oldest cannot get enough Rush. I swear he's a bigger fan than I am. Two pics right before his fourth birthday:

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/f4dc11e5-eba0-478c-95f1-6d4bfa0c033b_zps1638c70c.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/96f8da24-913b-47d9-bfe2-67ca88e4a069_zps3efbc725.jpg

He loved to strum (frantically, at that!) to Rush. It was kind of cute because he would watch the DVD and wait for Alex to come up and would start strumming like crazy! Now, when we're in the car he tries his hardest to sing like Geddy. His favorite song to sing is, 'The Temples of Syrinx.' Of all songs!!?

• Like 5

Nice pics, Janie- and Temples of Syrinx? That's an ambitious little guy. I've practiced singing Rush songs for years, but Temples is still...ehhmm...elusive, let's say. I can sometimes pull off the title track from A Farewell to Kings. I can handle lots of other things pretty well. But still, I'm no Geddy (nor Alex and nor Neil, either. Not that that's any mystery, or anything).

On another note- incidentally, your living room looks very similar to mine.

I love reading your responses! Thank you SO much. Very insightful, as always.

Ok, I am definitely excited now to venture into a music store. I may not know my way around every guitar but I really want to take a look at what my options are. And to get my hands all over some beautiful guitars.

You're very welcome. And enjoy picking out something good. :)

Nice pics, Janie- and Temples of Syrinx? That's an ambitious little guy. I've practiced singing Rush songs for years, but Temples is still...ehhmm...elusive, let's say. I can sometimes pull off the title track from A Farewell to Kings. I can handle lots of other things pretty well. But still, I'm no Geddy (nor Alex and nor Neil, either. Not that that's any mystery, or anything).

On another note- incidentally, your living room looks very similar to mine.

He is ambitious. I can't believe the songs he gravitates towards. He often hushes everyone in the car so he can listen to his precious Rush!

How funny our living rooms are similar.

My oldest cannot get enough Rush. I swear he's a bigger fan than I am. Two pics right before his fourth birthday:

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/f4dc11e5-eba0-478c-95f1-6d4bfa0c033b_zps1638c70c.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/96f8da24-913b-47d9-bfe2-67ca88e4a069_zps3efbc725.jpg

He loved to strum (frantically, at that!) to Rush. It was kind of cute because he would watch the DVD and wait for Alex to come up and would start strumming like crazy! Now, when we're in the car he tries his hardest to sing like Geddy. His favorite song to sing is, 'The Temples of Syrinx.' Of all songs!!?

Great stuff! :guitar: