Top 10 Bassists- MOJO.com

mandydog

Squire isn't in there because, outside of Prog nerds, no one really talks about him.

then how did john myung end up on the list??

this list is pretty standard with no surprises except myung, oh well

True. Maybe cause DT is more current? Yes , as popular as they were, when brought up , you'd think they were some underground band .

MojoList's top 10s are ludicrous. I stopped watching them completely after sitting through their"Top 10 movies where the bad guy wins".

They listed "Silence of the Lambs" and "Primal Fear"...

But in those movies the bad guy does win.

I didn't get what he meant by that either.

I actually think this list is pretty accurate. I am not a big Chris Squire fan. He was a decent player but not the monster player that people make him out to be. I don't feel that incredibly "tight to the drummer" kind of lock in I feel with most great players and I didn't feel his "flashy" playing was all that impressive either. JMO

Myung is an absolute beast and it upsets me that, as great a player as he is, he is completely out of the mix in DT. His kind of playing should be way more prominent but I think he has the smallest ego and, consequently, the least volume.

MojoList's top 10s are ludicrous. I stopped watching them completely after sitting through their"Top 10 movies where the bad guy wins".

Because Hannibal got away in the end. The bad guy won, right?

Edited by KennyLee
  • Like 1

I am not a big Chris Squire fan. He was a decent player but not the monster player that people make him out to be.

I just keep reading those words and think to myself "Has this guy actually listened to Yes?"

I know you have KL. Squire's tone and creativity we're unmatched in that era. A decent player?!? You just committed bass player blasphemy!

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 4

I actually think this list is pretty accurate. I am not a big Chris Squire fan. He was a decent player but not the monster player that people make him out to be. I don't feel that incredibly "tight to the drummer" kind of lock in I feel with most great players and I didn't feel his "flashy" playing was all that impressive either. JMO

Myung is an absolute beast and it upsets me that, as great a player as he is, he is completely out of the mix in DT. His kind of playing should be way more prominent but I think he has the smallest ego and, consequently, the least volume.

Because Hannibal got away in the end. The bad guy won, right?

Yeah, that was my point. I didn't get Mr. IsNot's point.

I am not a big Chris Squire fan. He was a decent player but not the monster player that people make him out to be.

I just keep reading those words and think to myself "Has this guy actually listened to Yes?"

I know you have KL. Squire's tone and creativity we're unmatched in that era. A decent player?!? You just committed bass player blasphemy!

You put TM in a getup like this and let him loose and you would never know the difference........ :D-13:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3d/Chris_squire_1978.jpg/391px-Chris_squire_1978.jpg

• Like 1

You put TM in a getup like this and let him loose and you would never know the difference........ :D-13:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3d/Chris_squire_1978.jpg/391px-Chris_squire_1978.jpg

My hair is naturally curly big guy.

Chris Squire is a monster bass player-no way around it. What Kenny Lee said is just a headscratcher.

It's like saying Gale Sayers was a decent running back.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 2

Chris Squire is a monster bass player-no way around it. What Kenny Lee said is just a headscratcher.

Sorry. I've learned a lot of Yes parts on bass in the past. Not only did it not "grab" me, I didn't find it challenging. He's a very good player and played what was appropriate for the songs. That doesn't make him a monster.

I realize I'm in the minority. Perhaps I've missed something. Hit me with some Chris Squire that will blow me away, please. I'll give it an objective listen.

Sorry. I've learned a lot of Yes parts on bass in the past. Not only did it not "grab" me, I didn't find it challenging. He's a very good player and played what was appropriate for the songs. That doesn't make him a monster.

I realize I'm in the minority. Perhaps I've missed something. Hit me with some Chris Squire that will blow me away, please. I'll give it an objective listen.

Ohhhh........ TM......... Come here please........ I am a novice..... :scared:
  • Like 1

I'm a bassist myself, if you're not blown away—you're not paying attention.

It just doesn't make sense KL. His tone is just incredible. His ability to create interesting counterpoints within those complex structures is amazing. Why give you an album to make my point when you think he was merely playing "appropriate" basslines?

What does that even mean? "Chris, what an appropriate bassline you've created mate. Don't do anything inappropriate chap!"

• Like 2

It just doesn't make sense KL. His tone is just incredible. His ability to create interesting counterpoints within those complex structures is amazing. Why give you an album to make my point when you think he was merely playing "appropriate" basslines?

What does that even mean? "Chris, what an appropriate bassline you've created mate. Don't do anything inappropriate chap!"

You gotta love some TM, ah folks? Just say'in........ :huh:
  • Like 1

but if there isn't anything on the yes album, fragile, close to the edge, tales from topographic oceans, relayer, fish out of water, and going for the one that impresses you then there's nothing that will, and I can't imagine you having not heard those albums so I guess squire just isn't for you
  • Like 2

but if there isn't anything on the yes album, fragile, close to the edge, tales from topographic oceans, relayer, fish out of water, and going for the one that impresses you then there's nothing that will, and I can't imagine you having not heard those albums so I guess squire just isn't for you

:codger: Tormato. His stamp and tone are all over it......... :yes:
  • Like 2

You gotta love some TM, ah folks? Just say'in........ :huh:

Squire is the grand tree of badass electric bass...everybody else is just acorns (excluding the Ox)

I wonder how old the person was that made the list. A lot of 60s/70s players on that list.

I agree. Really limited. Can't believe I'm not on it

I am surprised as well. I think your showmanship was a bit much them. Flea is on the list though ? :huh: :)

Showmanship? It's called "in the zone" dude. I gotta move when I play! Helped keep me in time.

Posers have showmanship. We could never be confused with that group.

I stand corrected. Being the non-musician that I am, I am not familiar with the lingo..... :codger:

Learning is a life long process.

For me, movement was my metronome. BTW, hard to do with three other guys on stage. Can't tell you how many times I've nailed bandmates with my bass.

My brother is or was a musician and he used to tell me the same thing about Angus Young. The metronome thing I mean.... :huh:

Agreed, On most of the list. Also Agree that Chris Squire should have made the top 5 as should have TM. The man is an incredible talent. How he plays bass and writes YGB articles at the same time is mind blowing! Specially when he finger-taps the strings with his pencil. David Lee Roth's comment "Where's my pencil?" on Hot for teacher was a direct nod to TM's bass endeavors. I wasn't aware if anyone knew that.

Another Person who should have been in the top 5 is Tony Levin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgUDDxFgL7I

By the way. TM can play this with double Pencils! :drool:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 2

Geddy is certainly not the "#1" bassist. Excellent, but not the best.

Of Course, there are so many bassist other than John Paul Jones and Paul McCartney that Play Bass/ Keyboards/ Writes and Sings lead. Wait Scratch JPJ he doesn't sing lead. :oops:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 2

Of Course, there are so many bassist other than John Paul Jones and Paul McCartney that Play Bass/ Keyboards/ Writes and Sings lead. Wait Scratch JPJ he doesn't sing lead. :oops:

L2K is back and betta than evah!!! Geddy is such a special talent.

• Like 1

I wonder how old the person was that made the list. A lot of 60s/70s players on that list.

I agree. Really limited. Can't believe I'm not on it

I am surprised as well. I think your showmanship was a bit much them. Flea is on the list though ? :huh: :)

Showmanship? It's called "in the zone" dude. I gotta move when I play! Helped keep me in time.

Posers have showmanship. We could never be confused with that group.

I stand corrected. Being the non-musician that I am, I am not familiar with the lingo..... :codger:

Learning is a life long process.

For me, movement was my metronome. BTW, hard to do with three other guys on stage. Can't tell you how many times I've nailed bandmates with my bass.

My brother is or was a musician and he used to tell me the same thing about Angus Young. The metronome thing I mean.... :huh:

Agreed, On most of the list. Also Agree that Chris Squire should have made the top 5 as should have TM. The man is an incredible talent. How he plays bass and writes YGB articles at the same time is mind blowing! Specially when he finger-taps the strings with his pencil. David Lee Roth's comment "Where's my pencil?" on Hot for teacher was a direct nod to TM's bass endeavors. I wasn't aware if anyone knew that.

Another Person who should have been in the top 5 is Tony Levin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgUDDxFgL7I

By the way. TM can play this with double Pencils! :drool:

Tony Levin is a freak. Good call!

• Like 1

Don't the upcoming Led Zeppelin "lost tracks" include a song that John Paul Jones sings?

• Like 1