TRF Trolls: hopeless cases, or is it just a phase disgruntled fans go through?

Tombstone Mountain

Trolling for acrimony  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Can these people changentheir stripes?

• Sure, it's just a maturity issue—give 'em time
    • Uhhh no, they're hopelessly addicted to the thrill of tweaking Rush fans

On TRF "troll" is largely defined as one who's opinion stands against or away from herd consensus.

I believe you're not a troll, just a jilted fan of 70's & early 80's. My heart is heavy for you. All is not lost though. Engage Clockwork Angels and you'll rekindle that burning passion.

I tried. The music is missing key elements that prevents any chemistry.

To quote Wesley Snipe's character in White Men Can't Jump: "You're listenin' to Jimi Hendrix but you ain't hearin' him".

You're hearing impaired bro...Clockwork Angels is what you've been wanting for decades.

On TRF "troll" is largely defined as one who's opinion stands against or away from herd consensus.

I think that's sometimes true. But I also think that you exaggerate your discontempt to appear more raw. But whatever, we all get our kicks from somewhere. Hell, I even have agreed with you on occasion. It's just that when I do, all there is in response from the board is the desolate rolling of tumbleweeds.
  • Like 4

I think that's sometimes true. But I also think that you exaggerate your discontempt to appear more raw. But whatever, we all get our kicks from somewhere. Hell, I even have agreed with you on occasion. It's just that when I do, all there is in response from the board is the desolate rolling of tumbleweeds.

I'm with JohnnyBlaze on this one. Maybe I am a troll to and just don't know it yet, or have not been labeled as such. I agree with GR79 more than I disagree. I try to bring it as honestly as possible without being offensive or condescending to others and their opinions. Yes, so the 70's and early 80's was better music as pretty much everyone around here knows I believe. I can still appreciate the other times and difference in era's and what music that era produced and why it produced it. It still doesn't mean I have to like it as much either. Either way, nobody is ever going to wrestle my :rush: card from my wallet as long as its in my back pocket... :no: Edited by Narpet
  • Like 3

I'm with JohnnyBlaze on this one. Maybe I am a troll to and just don't know it yet, or have not been labeled as such. I agree with GR79 more than I disagree. I try to bring it as honestly as possible without being offensive or condescending to others and their opinions. Yes, so the 70's and early 80's was better music as pretty much everyone around here knows I believe. I can still appreciate the other times and difference in era's and what music that era produced and why it produced it. It still doesn't mean I have to like it as much either. Either way, nobody is ever going to wrestle my :rush: card from my wallet as long as its in my back pocket... :no:

You're not even close to trolldom my friend. You just enjoy the rawness, production of the Terry Brown era over the last 30 years.

What I don’t get is the disregard for Clockwork Angels by fans of the early stuff...it's their heaviest album period. The songs are mostly really good to great to classic Rush. IMO the producer helped them revisit the "golden" era with this album and went beyond their earlier work.

• Like 2

I'm with JohnnyBlaze on this one. Maybe I am a troll to and just don't know it yet, or have not been labeled as such. I agree with GR79 more than I disagree. I try to bring it as honestly as possible without being offensive or condescending to others and their opinions. Yes, so the 70's and early 80's was better music as pretty much everyone around here knows I believe. I can still appreciate the other times and difference in era's and what music that era produced and why it produced it. It still doesn't mean I have to like it as much either. Either way, nobody is ever going to wrestle my :rush: card from my wallet as long as its in my back pocket... :no:

You're not even close to trolldom my friend. You just enjoy the rawness, production of the Terry Brown era over the last 30 years.

What I don’t get is the disregard for Clockwork Angels by fans of the early stuff...it's their heaviest album period. The songs are mostly really good to great to classic Rush. IMO the producer helped them revisit the "golden" era with this album and went beyond their earlier work.

I agree with the heaviness aspect of the music. I do like it. I just don't really enjoy the "cluttered" (if I may) sound. I am not producer and if I tried to touch one of those buttons or levers on those mixing boards, I would probably end up launching a cruise missile or something. I just think there is way to much sound and have expressed that sentiment around here before. It's just a personal old mans' taste issue for me. I just prefer a cleaner guitar, bass and drums sound...... :huh: Edited by Narpet
  • Like 3

I agree with the heaviness aspect of the music. I do like it. I just don't really enjoy the "cluttered" (if I may) sound. I am not producer and if I tried to touch one of those buttons or levers on those mixing boards, I would probably end up launching a cruise missile or something. I just think there is way to much sound and have expressed that sentiment around here before. It's just a personal old mans' taste issue for me. I just prefer a cleaner guitar, bass and drums sound...... :huh:

Snakes and Arrows had that in spades. I can only think it was the band's intent to create the "Wall of Sound". Another first for Rush.

Yes, so the 70's and early 80's was better music as pretty much everyone around here knows I believe.

You say that like it's a fact or something.

I find the 70's to be kind of "meh" compared to what they did throughout the 80's. For me, Permanent Waves is the when Rush became more than just a stonerish Prog band. Don't get me wrong, I still love a lot of the earlier stuff, but most of it pales in comparison to what came afterwards. I'd listen to POW and HYF over AFTK and Hemispheres.

• Like 2

Yes, so the 70's and early 80's was better music as pretty much everyone around here knows I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

I find the 70's to be kind of "meh" compared to what they did throughout the 80's. For me, Permanent Waves is the when Rush became more than just a stonerish Prog band. Don't get me wrong, I still love a lot of the earlier stuff, but most of it pales in comparison to what came afterwards. I'd listen to POW and HYF over AFTK and Hemispheres.

Not to be super sensitive or critical but the last two words in my sentence were "I believe". I would never use the "fact" word with things that are open to varying opinions. Just because I think it's better, doesn't make it "fact". My honest opinion as always.... :)
  • Like 1

Not to be super sensitive or critical but the last two words in my sentence were "I believe". I would never use the "fact" word with things that are open to varying opinions. Just because I think it's better, doesn't make it "fact". My honest opinion as always.... :)

Allow me to clarify.

The way that your original quote was phrased seemed to suggest that the early music was unequivocally better than everything that came afterwards and that you believe that most other people are aware of that fact. (I'm aware that you never used the "f-word" but it was strongly implied by the tone of the sentence)

The problem is that the "I believe" part was too late in the sentence. Had it been earlier, it would have been modifying the correct part of the sentence to show that your opinion was on the quality of the music and not the rest of the board's views.

I know what you mean now. Sorry about the sentence structure rant. Lets just throw on Caress of Steel and forget the whole thing even happened. :haz:

Edited by Dscrapre
  • Like 1

Allow me to clarify.

The way that your original quote was phrased seemed to suggest that the early music was unequivocally better than everything that came afterwards and that you believe that most other people are aware of that fact. (I'm aware that you never used the "f-word" but it was strongly implied by the tone of the sentence)

The problem is that the "I believe" part was too late in the sentence. Had it been earlier, it would have been modifying the correct part of the sentence to show that your opinion was on the quality of the music and not the rest of the board's views.

I know what you mean now. Sorry about the sentence structure rant. Lets just throw on Caress of Steel and forget the whole thing even happened. :haz:

English and all that goes with it was not my best subject in school eons ago. Punctuation is certainly my weakest point according to some around here. Sentence structure may be a close second...... :codger: :LOL: Good call on the Caress Of Steel BTW Edited by Narpet
  • Like 2

Allow me to clarify.

Awwww...group hug in the shower.
  • Like 3

Allow me to clarify.

English and all that goes with it was not my best subject in school eons ago. Punctuation is certainly my weakest point according to some around here. Sentence structure my be a close second...... :codger: :LOL: Good call on the Caress Of Steel BTW

Punctuation. ..You're talking about GM

Allow me to clarify.

English and all that goes with it was not my best subject in school eons ago. Punctuation is certainly my weakest point according to some around here. Sentence structure my be a close second...... :codger: :LOL: Good call on the Caress Of Steel BTW

:LMAO: :yes: Good catch my man........ Nice to know someone else pays real close attention like I do...

Edit: Just to set the record straight.... I love and thoroughly enjoy her ability with the English language and only wish I had her eloquence. She knows I am teasing, I would hope, and takes my needling as I intend it...

Edited by Narpet
  • Like 1

I agree with you on this. Gotta admit my favorite Rush albums are equally brilliant IMO:

AFTK

PeW

PoW

CA—my favorite though

The real issue is that they have such a vast history and covered so much ground. They have reached different generations. As a musician I would always want to push N the envelope and try different directions.

The 70's were good, but not their peak...Hell they may not have reached their peak yet

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Allow me to clarify.

:LMAO: :yes: Good catch my man........ Nice to know someone else pays real close attention like I do...

Edit: Just to set the record straight.... I love and thoroughly enjoy her ability with the English language and only wish I had her eloquence. She knows I am teasing, I would hope, and takes my needling as I intend it...

She's anal bro...and all the other things you've said.

You know, that's a good point. I find myself listening to the nuances of POW and HYF all the time, but I can't remember when I last listened to AFTK. Rush just didn't have the musical subtlety or maturity in '78 as they did in '89.

• Like 1

You are entitled to your opinion. There's nothing worse than a "Rush can do no wrong" mentality.

They're not perfect.

They're not gods. At least to most of us. But they have saved more than a few here from themselves. And they have gotten many through some very hard and thorny times in their life. They even stopped one person (there may be more but I am only familiar with one) here from killing herself.

• Like 2

First off let's just get things out in the open and admit this post is about GeminiRising...
  • Like 4

First off let's just get things out in the open and admit this post is about GeminiRising...

OK, your post is about GeminiRising, this thread is about TRF trolls. There's a difference.

Because Gemini goes beyond being your typical troll?

• Like 1

OK, your post is about GeminiRising, this thread is about TRF trolls. There's a difference.

GeminiRising79 is a house elf...like Dobby from Harry Potter Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

GeminiRising79 is a house elf

Yes GeminiRising79 is also a constellation!
  • Like 2