Possible Rush would consider making cameos of their older gear?

GeminiRising79

Would be cool to see them pull out the "relics" for a few songs. Doubtful that the doublenecks will ever be front and center again, though. Alex and Geddy thought those things were heavy as hell when they were in their 20's - never mind now.

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I'd like for Neil to have a temporary bout of selective amnesia in which he forgets he he ever worked with Freddie Gruber. RIP Mr. Gruber, you were a genius, but Neil's drumming lost a certain edge and he's just recently finding it again.

• Like 3

Would be cool, I think there will be a possible cameo of one of Geddy's old basses like the Rick or even the Wal, would be awesome if he took out the Teardrop but that probably wont happen since i heard he hated the sound
  • Like 1

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I'd like for Neil to have a temporary bout of selective amnesia in which he forgets he he ever worked with Freddie Gruber. Neil's drumming lost a certain edge and he's just recently finding it again.

My thoughts entirely! Nicely put, Mara.

:codger: Don't I wish. Clear all the sh*t from the stage and F ing rock....

:haz: Although I like the movies and the funny props and all, 'twould be nice to see them in smaller venues on smaller stages, unadorned as they used to be. :)

• Like 1

:haz: Although I like the movies and the funny props and all, 'twould be nice to see them in smaller venues on smaller stages, unadorned as they used to be. :)

Even back in 79' and the very early 80's they had stuff playing on the screen in the background. That's still fine will me.

Even back in 79' and the very early 80's they had stuff playing on the screen in the background. That's still fine will me.

What I was meaning though is that they've said that a lot of smaller venues (Red Rocks, for example!?) are out because the screens won't fit! So they need to ditch them (or think smaller) if they want to play my local concert hall! :)

What I was meaning though is that they've said that a lot of smaller venues (Red Rocks, for example!?) are out because the screens won't fit! So they need to ditch them (or think smaller) if they want to play my local concert hall! :)

But "they can't stop thinking big" :LOL:
  • Like 2

But "they can't stop thinking big" :LOL:

Hehe, and also they don't seem to want to play my local concert hall, either- more's the shame. :(

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I'd like for Neil to have a temporary bout of selective amnesia in which he forgets he he ever worked with Freddie Gruber. RIP Mr. Gruber, you were a genius, but Neil's drumming lost a certain edge and he's just recently finding it again.

I don't think there's any way he could complete a tour at his age with his old style. He would be riddled with injuries. Everyone talks about Geddy's voice, but the end of Rush is much more likely that Neil can't pound the shit out of those things because of injury.

I don't think many people will go to a Rush show if they have to bring in that stand-up drummer that Pink Floyd brought in (WTF was that?).

I think the arena would erupt if for the encore Geddy and Alex walked out wearing their doublenecks while proceeding to throw out shirts like its no big deal. Seriously though I want to hear Geddy play his Wal live

All 3 guys certainly have contracts with equipment suppliers. Many of these fantasies may not be legally possible.

They have the power to arrange things anyway they choose. The sponsors need Rush more than VV

I wouldn't expect them to bring out the doublenecks. Too pretentious at this point, imo.

Edited by GeminiRising79

No idea on Ged's double-neck, but unless Lerxst has another one, he gave his double neck to the Hall of Fame for the Rush exhibit, so there goes that. I don't see Neil downgrading his kit, and on the Rio DVD he switched to traditional grip when he played Driven, so I think he'll go to traditional grip only when certain parts of his solo demand it, or when they're playing stuff from Test For Echo.

Geddy, occasionally donning the Rickenbacker for a deep classic or two. Alex, the ES-355 or tobacco LP. Neil, reverse drumstick grip, bringing the raw Atwas sound with a retro kit? Thoughts?

Well, Alex plays his 355 at least once every show (This tour it was for Far Cry).

Neil isn't going back. He's happy with what he is using now. The great thing about DW is that they make a solid, workhorse drum. An older kit will not be nearly as reliable. Besides, he doesn't even own his old drum kits. They were all given away. So, he'd have to get a different old school drum kit to use and it wouldn't really be authentic.

But, it doesn't matter what equipment they use. So long as they're having fun.

• Like 1

Geddy, occasionally donning the Rickenbacker for a deep classic or two. Alex, the ES-355 or tobacco LP. Neil, reverse drumstick grip, bringing the raw Atwas sound with a retro kit? Thoughts?

Well, Alex plays his 355 at least once every show (This tour it was for Far Cry).

Neil isn't going back. He's happy with what he is using now. The great thing about DW is that they make a solid, workhorse drum. An older kit will not be nearly as reliable. Besides, he doesn't even own his old drum kits. They were all given away. So, he'd have to get a different old school drum kit to use and it wouldn't really be authentic.

Other things that don't matter: What setlist they choose. What videos they show. What stage props they use. What clothes they wear. Their hair styles.

What does matter: That they're having fun, and that they're playing music! :yes: :rush:

• Like 2

Other things that don't matter: What setlist they choose. What videos they show. What stage props they use. What clothes they wear. Their hair styles.

What does matter: That they're having fun, and that they're playing music! :yes: :rush:

Yeah, phuck what fans want. We dont matter anyway. As long as the Rush guys are standing in front of us, doing whatever they want, I am happy. :smash:

Edited by GeminiRising79

Yeah, phuck what fans want. We dont matter anyway. As long as the Rush guys are standing in front of us, doing whatever they want, I am happy. :smash:

I'm glad you've finally taken a sensible attitude towards this :yes: ;) :LOL:

I think Geddy's gifted away all his old doublenecks by now. I'm pretty sure Andrew MacNaughtan (RIP) got one of them at some point. Some promo pics of Ged's home studio from the My Favorite Headache era showed a doubleneck in the background along with some other old basses including a Rick or two and the black Wal, but that was 13 years ago.

I'm pretty sure most if not all of the old synths (the Oberheims, Minimoogs, PPG Waves, etc) are all long gone as well. Once they were sampled, they were shown the door, sadly. I remember the story of them digging up some Taurus pedals from the folks they donated them to, at NIck R's urging during the Snakes and Arrows days, but that's it.