WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE ROLL THE BONES?

Segue Myles

Why why why?????

This album is a real favourite of mine. The songs, the vocals, the lyrics, its odd quirks. It stupid rap. Oh yeah. ..Segue loves this...

So come on, we have a thread on Test For Echo, and yet everyone STILL DISSES THIS RECORD.

(Bear in mind that I am a Toto fan so my opinions may lack credibility.)

For me, only nine albums better this. And no. Caress Of Steel is not one of them.

It's because the songs were on the radio all the time and it really brought the band into the public after a long slide into relative obscurity. Rush fans liked the idea of being part of a cult band type atmosphere, and they were pissed that everyone could get into Dreamline and Ghost of a Chance and that these new poseurs didn't know the real Rush.

this has NOTHING to do with why rush fans "dislike" the album.

I don't recall this album being hugely popular at the time.. Like all of a sudden, Rush were as popular as Aerosmith or somethin

Rush had lost a lot of fans in the synth era, and RTB was the first album to go platinum since PoW, and it was the first Rush album to have 3 top 10 singles on mainstream radio (and the only with 4 top 15 songs on mainstream radio).

You can argue that the album isn't good, but you can't argue that it wasn't popular.

• Like 1

Why why why?????

This album is a real favourite of mine. The songs, the vocals, the lyrics, its odd quirks. It stupid rap. Oh yeah. ..Segue loves this...

So come on, we have a thread on Test For Echo, and yet everyone STILL DISSES THIS RECORD.

For me, only nine albums better this. And no. Caress Of Steel is not one of them.

It's because the songs were on the radio all the time and it really brought the band into the public after a long slide into relative obscurity. Rush fans liked the idea of being part of a cult band type atmosphere, and they were pissed that everyone could get into Dreamline and Ghost of a Chance and that these new poseurs didn't know the real Rush.

I don't recall this album being hugely popular at the time.. Like all of a sudden, Rush were as popular as Aerosmith or somethin

I think I remember him talking about how "face up" was played at his high school prom

huh? :wtf:

Why why why?????

Rush had lost a lot of fans in the synth era, and RTB was the first album to go platinum since PoW, and it was the first Rush album to have 3 top 10 singles on mainstream radio (and the only with 4 top 15 songs on mainstream radio).

You can argue that the album isn't good, but you can't argue that it wasn't popular.

I stand corrected. Honestly, at that period of my life, I was getting into other styles of music, and not really paying attention to them ..

When RTB came out I was completely oblivious to it's release as I had distanced myself from Rush since HYF came out. I heard Dreamline on the radio and didnt hate it but it didnt persuade me to buy it either. I didnt hear RTB in it's entirety until 2006, along with everything else they released from '91 up to Feedback. I like it for what it is even though IMO it's near the bottom of their catalog. It's Rush, man.

I suppose like T4E, I have the benefit of listening for the first time in 2007 and not 1991.

The rap never bothered me at all, because rap/rock hybrids, while most of them are awful, have become part of the rock 'n' roll lexicon since 1991. A select few have gotten it right, but since so many haven't, I view RTB in hindsight as kind of mocking that, and to me it has always been funny in that context.

It wasn't sacrilege to me, since so many other bands since 1991 have sold their souls to worse things.

• Like 1

Why why why?????

I know you like to quote album sales for RTB. However, at that time in '91, ABSOLUTELY NONE of my college friends, classmates, or acquaintances EVER mentioned having or liking RTB. They were talking about Metallica's black album, Pearl Jam's Ten, Nirvana's Nevermind, and still talking about Queensryche's Empire which had been released a year earlier (I think). Hell, college kids then even talked a lot more about Tom Petty's new album as opposed to RTB. RTB DID get a fair amount of airplay on MTV that year BUT nobody I knew ever said anything positive about it. Usually, they simply asked me if the album was any good.

Just looking at album sales doesn't give a clear picture of how that album was totally viewed. If anything, I think RTB sales benefited from being from a legendary hard rock band (even though the album wasn't really hard rock) when hard rock was popular and strong

• Like 4

Why why why?????

I know you like to quote album sales for RTB. However, at that time in '91, ABSOLUTELY NONE of my college friends, classmates, or acquaintances EVER mentioned having or liking RTB. They were talking about Metallica's black album, Pearl Jam's Ten, Nirvana's Nevermind, and still talking about Queensryche's Empire which had been released a year earlier (I think). Hell, college kids then even talked a lot more about Tom Petty's new album as opposed to RTB. RTB DID get a fair amount of airplay on MTV that year BUT nobody I knew ever said anything positive about it. Usually, they simply asked me if the album was any good.

Just looking at album sales doesn't give a clear picture of how that album was totally viewed. If anything, I think RTB sales benefited from being from a legendary hard rock band (even though the album wasn't really hard rock) when hard rock was popular and strong

Wow...I forgot to put this album in context. Those are all much better albums! What a good year! Shame CA was still another 20 years away.

• Like 1

Why why why?????

Wow...I forgot to put this album in context. Those are all much better albums! What a good year! Shame CA was still another 20 years away.

And I didn't even mention Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger, Smashing Pumpkins' Gish, or Jane's Addiction's Ritual de lo Habitual (though released a year prior)!!!! So yeah, not many actually spoke of Roll The Bones in those days. There were a lot more exciting albums out at the time (IMHO....and millions of others opinions too) Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Why why why?????

And I didn't even mention Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger, Smashing Pumpkins' Gish, or Jane's Addiction's Ritual de lo Habitual (though released a year prior)!!!! So yeah, not many actually spoke of Roll The Bones in those days. There were a lot more exciting albums out at the time (IMHO....and millions of others opinions too)

So more people bought RTB than the previous two albums because there was so much better music out there? Um...no. (and this forgets that Rush hadn't been hard rock since Hemispheres or "classic rock" since MP. RTB sold more because more people liked the songs than on the previous albums. I'll go with objective data rather than anecdotes, thank you.

It might be one of my least favorite Rush albums. The good songs are REALLY good, especially Bravado and the title track. Oddly enough, I really like Heresy. But I just cannot shake the feeling of "filler" on this album in the form of YBYL, Neurotica, FU (sounds about right), and TBW. No other Rush album had songs that are just so...unimportant, as these ones are. Not to mention I find Ghost of a Chance and Dreamline to be just average songs whereas everyone glorifies them. Where's My Thing? is pretty cool, but a standard post-YYZ instrumental that feels more like a jam than a composed song.

It's just an average album. Pleasant, but nothing mindblowing. I can listen to the whole thing and enjoy it, but once the title track is over, it's just 7 so-so songs to get through before the end.They really came back strong with CP and TFE (which I think is a GREAT album!)

• Like 1

Why why why?????

And I didn't even mention Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger, Smashing Pumpkins' Gish, or Jane's Addiction's Ritual de lo Habitual (though released a year prior)!!!! So yeah, not many actually spoke of Roll The Bones in those days. There were a lot more exciting albums out at the time (IMHO....and millions of others opinions too)

So more people bought RTB than the previous two albums because there was so much better music out there? Um...no. (and this forgets that Rush hadn't been hard rock since Hemispheres or "classic rock" since MP. RTB sold more because more people liked the songs than on the previous albums. I'll go with objective data rather than anecdotes, thank you.

I knew you would. And I knew you'd be narky in your reply about it too.

Your numbers are fine but if you choose to ignore what people actually said at the time about it (and even what diehard Rushfans are saying NOW on a RUSH board!!!) you're just being way set in your opinion. Did your friends get a boner over RTB in '91 like you are now? I'm sure they all talked about Neurotica much much more than Smells Like Teen Spirit, Enter Sandman, and Alive, right?!

• Like 1

Why why why?????

You can't argue with the sales numbers, but as Johhny said, Rush style music wasn't considered cool.. I hung out quite a few indie rock kids then, and Rush was looked at as a self indulgent nerdy Prog band.. It's funny that , now, guys like Billy Corgan name check them as an influence, but I don't recall him talking about Rush in 91

Why why why?????

Your numbers are fine but if you choose to ignore what people actually said at the time about it (and even what diehard Rushfans are saying NOW on a RUSH board!!!) you're just being way set in your opinion. Did your friends get a boner over RTB in '91 like you are now? I'm sure they all talked about Neurotica much much more than Smells Like Teen Spirit, Enter Sandman, and Alive, right?!

I have always conceded that the diehard fans don't like this album. RTB brought in casuals. To answer your question, my close friends were listening to the bands you listed, as well as a general mix of classic rock. However, my brother bought a copy of RTB based on the radio play of the songs, and then got ESL from a friend. He still likes these albums, but never went deeper into the catalog (he didn't like the "weird proggy stuff" on ESL). Many people at my high school who were not close friends did get a boner, and I remember people excitedly talking about a new Rush album, and I asked them if they meant the soundtrack to the movie (which was done by Clapton and had "Tears in Heaven"). They were not impressed. I also remember hearing RTB at the snack bar, which meant some seniors liked the album and no one objected (always a tricky social situation) and people talking about how they paid outrageous sums to go to the Rush concert (I remember someone talking about paying $79 or something and thinking that these rich pricks were crazy). I remember hearing RTB nonstop at my local classic rock radio station. All this buzz led me to borrow Chronicles from a non-friend, and I fell in love with everything from Finding My Way to Subdivisions. To this day I go to Rush concerts with my college friends (i.e., people I didn't know when RTB was released) and they still want to hear Dreamline and other "hits" off of RTB.

I also remember my people getting boners for the underground jam bands, and for the rap and hip-hop scenes (I had a running bet with a friend about whether more "rock" albums or "hip hop" albums would make the Rolling Stones charts (probably from billboard). Just because grunge exploded doesn't mean other music wasn't popular. Rush in 1991-92 was more popular/prominent than they had been probably since GuP killed the hopes that Rush was just dabbling in keys on Signals.

Why why why?????

You can't argue with the sales numbers, but as Johhny said, Rush style music wasn't considered cool.. I hung out quite a few indie rock kids then, and Rush was looked at as a self indulgent nerdy Prog band.. It's funny that , now, guys like Billy Corgan name check them as an influence, but I don't recall him talking about Rush in 91

No one knew Corgan in 1991. Gish was the only album, and it didn't really take off until after Siamese Dream, IIRC. And remember, RTB preceded Nevermind by a few weeks. Grunge exploded quickly, but Rush's music only seems out of place in retrospect and if you forget all the non-grunge that was also popular.

Edited by LedRush

Why why why?????

keep in mind, I like the album...I just like giving you shit for thinking it's better than CP and the synth era

Why why why?????

in 91 ACDC put out a successful album, van halen put out a successful album, etc. records I thought were shitty but hard rock was in fashion. but let's look 20+ years later...no one cares about the razor's edge or F.U.C.K., and aside from us, nobody's talking about roll the bones either

Why why why?????

I have always conceded that the diehard fans don't like this album. RTB brought in casuals. To answer your question, my close friends were listening to the bands you listed, as well as a general mix of classic rock. However, my brother bought a copy of RTB based on the radio play of the songs, and then got ESL from a friend. He still likes these albums, but never went deeper into the catalog (he didn't like the "weird proggy stuff" on ESL). Many people at my high school who were not close friends did get a boner, and I remember people excitedly talking about a new Rush album, and I asked them if they meant the soundtrack to the movie (which was done by Clapton and had "Tears in Heaven"). They were not impressed. I also remember hearing RTB at the snack bar, which meant some seniors liked the album and no one objected (always a tricky social situation) and people talking about how they paid outrageous sums to go to the Rush concert (I remember someone talking about paying $79 or something and thinking that these rich pricks were crazy). I remember hearing RTB nonstop at my local classic rock radio station. All this buzz led me to borrow Chronicles from a non-friend, and I fell in love with everything from Finding My Way to Subdivisions. To this day I go to Rush concerts with my college friends (i.e., people I didn't know when RTB was released) and they still want to hear Dreamline and other "hits" off of RTB.

I also remember my people getting boners for the underground jam bands, and for the rap and hip-hop scenes (I had a running bet with a friend about whether more "rock" albums or "hip hop" albums would make the Rolling Stones charts (probably from billboard). Just because grunge exploded doesn't mean other music wasn't popular. Rush in 1991-92 was more popular/prominent than they had been probably since GuP killed the hopes that Rush was just dabbling in keys on Signals.

ah, merely "anecdotal evidence"

Why why why?????

No one knew Corgan in 1991. Gish was the only album, and it didn't really take off until after Siamese Dream, IIRC. And remember, RTB preceded Nevermind by a few weeks. Grunge exploded quickly, but Rush's music only seems out of place in retrospect and if you forget all the non-grunge that was also popular.

Why why why?????

1. that's not what he was saying. he's saying hard rock in general was big at the time so rush picked up in popularity. 2. if jacob's ladder and natural science aren't hard rock or at least "heavy prog" then you must be crazy.

Why why why?????

ah, merely "anecdotal evidence"

He asked the question. There's a reason this wasn't part of my initial argument.

• Like 1

Why why why?????

1. that's not what he was saying. he's saying hard rock in general was big at the time so rush picked up in popularity. 2. if jacob's ladder and natural science aren't hard rock or at least "heavy prog" then you must be crazy.

1. That doesn't make sense as Rush wasn't hard for years at that time. 2. Those songs got a lot of radio play, huh? Remember, I'm talking about popularity.

And don't forget that at the time people would buy an album just to see what it sounded like. It doesn't mean they listened to it more than once after they bought it. At the time there was no way to really preview songs on ITunes or Amazon or whatever like there is today. You had to actually go to the music store and buy the thing to hear the songs.
  • Like 1

I don't hate the album RTB, but I always thought of it as sides 3 and 4 of 'Presto,' if that makes sense. Really just felt like a continuation of Presto and even sounds like it, to me (yes I know it was Rupert at the dials again).

If John Cleese had done that rap the title track would have had booster rockets attached to it, LOL. That would have been awesome.

And don't forget that at the time people would buy an album just to see what it sounded like. It doesn't mean they listened to it more than once after they bought it. At the time there was no way to really preview songs on ITunes or Amazon or whatever like there is today. You had to actually go to the music store and buy the thing to hear the songs.

So what made more people buy RTB than previous albums? 6 singles, 4 which were top 15 on US charts?