Other favorite artists/band? Your personal Top 5 list

BUB

Im surprised two people picked Miles Davis! Was not expecting that!

Bitches Brew shows up a lot in all-time favorite albums lists, as does Dave Brubeck's Take Five. You into jazz?

Well, luckily I found my fifth favorite artist recently (so the final choice would not be something casual) (keeping in mind that I am young and have not had as many years to hear new music as some other members).

1. Rush

2. Oingo Boingo

3. Owl City

4. They Might Be Giants

5. Daft Punk

I should make the note that numbers two through five are always constantly changing depending on my mood (occasionally for brief moments (gasp) Rush goes down a step too! (but not for long). I simply listed Rush first (because it’s %99.9 percent of the time true) and from there listed the groups in the order I discovered them.

Damn I am Old. I have only even heard of one of these. Wonder which one? :codger:

Not surprising you don't know these groups. Though 2 and 4 have had their music appear many times in the media, and 3 and 5 have both had hits on the top 40, they are all very far and away from the stuff that most users on the forum listen to. Although I have found traces of either fandom or at least respect for all five somewhere on here, these instances are far and few between.

You have to know this,,,

Danny Elfman...

For: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmbpdBuO83E

Against: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RS0jRUwlj8

Top 10 (5? Can't list just 5)

1. Rush

2. Porcupine Tree

3. Led Zeppelin

4. Pink Floyd

5. The Black Crowes

6. Queensrhyce

7. Iron Maiden

8. Kiss

9. Van Halen

10. Candlebox/Live/Dream Theatre - Tied

Edited by Todem

Bitches Brew shows up a lot in all-time favorite albums lists, as does Dave Brubeck's Take Five. You into jazz?

Im getting into jazz. I own around 25 of Miles Davis works...but have felt hesitant to explore other jazz artists. I must admit, Bitches Brew is a fine album, but I prefer older albums like Nefertiti, Sketches Of Spain, Workin' With The Miles Davis Quintet and the soundtrack album Ascenseur Pour Le Chaud. Actually, prefer is putting it mildly: I LOVE THESE ALBUMS!

He also did an instrumental track with Toto from the groups Fahrenheit album called Don't Stop Me Now. I love that track, I think its amazing how versatile he could be!

I also enjoy Porgy And Bess and 1958 Miles.

I'm listing ten because I can't limit myself to just five, and in alphabetical order because I'm fickle:

Peter Gabriel

early Genesis

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Police

Radiohead

R.E.M

Rush

U2

Yes

I'm surprised that nobody else listed Zeppelin.

I appreciate your list. At least I have heard of all of these. I could have listed Zeppelin on my list. I have all of their albums and listened to them all the time when I was younger. I think they are kind of like the Beatles in a way. I could be wrong, but I think it is a given that at least almost everybody likes them. Those two bands at least are in a different category. Just my opinion :codger: Edited by Narpet
  • Like 1

Im getting into jazz. I own around 25 of Miles Davis works...but have felt hesitant to explore other jazz artists. I must admit, Bitches Brew is a fine album, but I prefer older albums like Nefertiti, Sketches Of Spain, Workin' With The Miles Davis Quintet and the soundtrack album Ascenseur Pour Le Chaud. Actually, prefer is putting it mildly: I LOVE THESE ALBUMS!

He also did an instrumental track with Toto from the groups Fahrenheit album called Don't Stop Me Now. I love that track, I think its amazing how versatile he could be!

Jack Johnson

• Like 1

Jack Johnson

Masterpiece! As is In A Silent Way! Woop!

I also appreciate On The Corner and Someday My Prince Will Come...

I'm listing ten because I can't limit myself to just five, and in alphabetical order because I'm fickle:

Peter Gabriel

early Genesis

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Police

Radiohead

R.E.M

Rush

U2

Yes

I appreciate your list. At least I have heard of all of these. I could have listed Zeppelin on my list. I have all of their albums and listened to them all the time when I was younger. I think they are kind of like the Beatles in a way. I could be wrong, but I think it is a given that at least almost everybody likes them. Those two bands at least are in a different category. Just my opinion :codger:

I love the beatles! I kept them off my list because I feel its just to obvious, like somebody coming up to you in the street to say: "ya know, I just can't survive without me oxygen!". Coz its only natural to love the beatles?!

Am I right?!

As for led zep...well it won't be long before I add them to my top ten, they are getting more and more special to me as time goes by!

And I want to put ABBA out there...without them I never would have started my obsession with music from a young age...amazing band!

Peter Gabriel

early Genesis

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Police

Radiohead

R.E.M

Rush

U2

Yes

I appreciate your list. At least I have heard of all of these. I could have listed Zeppelin on my list. I have all of their albums and listened to them all the time when I was younger. I think they are kind of like the Beatles in a way. I could be wrong, but I think it is a given that at least almost everybody likes them. Those two bands at least are in a different category. Just my opinion :codger:

I love the beatles! I kept them off my list because I feel its just to obvious, like somebody coming up to you in the street to say: "ya know, I just can't survive without me oxygen!". Coz its only natural to love the beatles?!

Am I right?!

As for led zep...well it won't be long before I add them to my top ten, they are getting more and more special to me as time goes by!

And I want to put ABBA out there...without them I never would have started my obsession with music from a young age...amazing band!

Here we go. I am bored and something has been bothering me for about a week now and I need some help. Please nobody take offense to this because I intend none. Should my top 5 band list look like this.....................

1. Rush

2. Yes

3. 70's AC/DC

4. ABBA

5. TOTO

????????

I must have missed something being the cave dweller that I am. I thought ABBA was the band that we used to make fun of back in the Disco era and late 70's in general? Of course I have heard their disco/pop hits a million times over and will readily admit they are catchy. If I am alone I will turn it up and tap my foot and sing along. I also know they are huge all over the world but I must have missed something. Please explain how they fit in with Rush, Yes, Zeppelin etc. I would really like to know. Seriously. Now with TOTO, I know their hits also........ "hold the line do do do love isn't always on time da da da etc. I know the other pop hits too. Are they some great band too and I completely missed it? SM, I am not trying to be mean in any way, I just am real curious what I don't get about this. Please somebody explain this to me. Thanks in advance :codger: :huh:

Edited by Narpet

Peter Gabriel

early Genesis

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Police

Radiohead

R.E.M

Rush

U2

Yes

Am I right?!

Here we go. I am bored and something has been bothering me for about a week now and I need some help. Please nobody take offense to this because I intend none. Should my top 5 band list look like this.....................

1. Rush

2. Yes

3. 70's AC/DC

4. ABBA

5. TOTO

????????

I must have missed something being the cave dweller that I am. I thought ABBA was the band that we used to make fun of back in the Disco era and late 70's in general? Of course I have heard their disco/pop hits a million times over and will readily admit they are catchy. If I am alone I will turn it up and tap my foot and sing along. I also know they are huge all over the world but I must have missed something. Please explain how they fit in with Rush, Yes, Zeppelin etc. I would really like to know. Seriously. Now with TOTO, I know their hits also........ "hold the line do do do love isn't always on time da da da etc. I know the other pop hits too. Are they some great band too and I completely missed it? SM, I am not trying to be mean in any way, I just am real curious what I don't get about this. Please somebody explain this to me. Thanks in advance :codger: :huh:

You might have made fun of Abba, but millions of us ADORED them, and still do. The holier-than-thou indie brigade used to make fun of them, but they were generally clueless & were always waiting for a new bandwagon to jump on.

They fit in with Rush, Yes & Zeppelin because their songs are marvellously crafted pieces of work. And a joy to listen to. They're not in the same genre, granted, but that's no reason to dislike them.

• Like 1

By other, I assume I don't have to use up 1 spot for Rush.

Beatles - will always be my number 1. As for the rest, currently it's

The Who - recently rekindled my love for them, especially period of 1968 to after Who's Next. Moon's drumming at it's peak during this time frame.

Pink Floyd

Supertramp especially Roger Hodgson

MUSE - I think Matt Bellamy is amazing.

Peter Gabriel

early Genesis

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Police

Radiohead

R.E.M

Rush

U2

Yes

Am I right?!

1. Rush

2. Yes

3. 70's AC/DC

4. ABBA

5. TOTO

????????

YES YES YES!

WOOP! Toto ARE AMAZING!

And for me, ABBA are equally as great, if not more so than many of the more critically accepted rock acts of the last fifty years. Narpet...go for it...make it your top five!

Im happy with my top ten...my top five is harder to pin down. ..

It would go like this:

1) Lacuna Coil

2) Khoma

3) Bruce Springsteen

4) Rush

5) Miles Davis

6) ABBA

7) The Beatles

8) Jimmy Eat World

9) Toto

10) Nightwish

Arg I wish I had room for Fleetwood Mac and The Gathering.

Peter Gabriel

early Genesis

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Police

Radiohead

R.E.M

Rush

U2

Yes

Am I right?!

1. Rush

2. Yes

3. 70's AC/DC

4. ABBA

5. TOTO

????????

YES YES YES!

WOOP! Toto ARE AMAZING!

And for me, ABBA are equally as great, if not more so than many of the more critically accepted rock acts of the last fifty years. Narpet...go for it...make it your top five!

It would go like this:

1) Lacuna Coil

2) Khoma

3) Bruce Springsteen

4) Rush

5) Miles Davis

6) ABBA

7) The Beatles

8) Jimmy Eat World

9) Toto

10) Nightwish

Yes, 2 good 'uns there. Which era of Mac is your favourite? I'm totally obsessed by Green era Mac, but the Kirwan/Welch/Weston has been blowing my mind of late.

Peter Gabriel

early Genesis

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Police

Radiohead

R.E.M

Rush

U2

Yes

Am I right?!

1. Rush

2. Yes

3. 70's AC/DC

4. ABBA

5. TOTO

????????

YES YES YES!

WOOP! Toto ARE AMAZING!

It would go like this:

1) Lacuna Coil

2) Khoma

3) Bruce Springsteen

4) Rush

5) Miles Davis

6) ABBA

7) The Beatles

8) Jimmy Eat World

9) Toto

10) Nightwish

SM, I knew you would jump all over this one, but you disappointed me a little. I just figured you would explain why they are so great. As I stated, yes the melodies that I know with those bands are toe taping and pleasing to the ears and nice to dance too in some cases. I was just curious except for that fact, why they are from a purely musical perspective deserving of being mentioned in the same sentence as the other bands? I also am well aware that music like art is in the eye of the beholder and just simply personal taste plays a major role. Thanks for your response :codger:

Nice to see another fan of The Gathering here! I'm only familiar with the Anneke van Giersbergen material, but those are some of my all-time favorite albums. I did listen to Disclosure once though and really liked it, so I guess I should check out the new one.

• Like 1

Lol its all opinion...

I cannot stand Judas Priest and ACDC are trashy cliche proto metal....

But! I am also aware my taste is open to ridicule and being a Toto fan I have had to get used to it! But for me, Rush and Toto are equals...and I think Toto released two albums in the eighties superior to all of Rush's post MP work: Isolation, Fahrenheit (one of my favourite albums of all time), and Tambu is brilliant guitar based pop rock, and Kingdom Of Desire is mostly rock n roll cheese gold!

And ABBA...they deserve praise. Led Zeppelin were such big fans they recorded one of their albums at ABBA's self made recording studio, and they were proud to admit it. And to disrespect ABBA and Toto coz they were uncool basically sounds like something Rolling Stone would write!

I'd have to write up a f***ing hundred in here or something, c'mon now I'm a music BEAST! :AlienSmiley: :aliensmiley: :AlienSmiley: :aliensmiley: :AlienSmiley:

Go on, distill it down to 5. The 5 that define you. That make you the duck you are today. YOU CAN DO EEET!

It's too hard mate! :boohoo:

:o

:smoke:

Lol its all opinion...

But! I am also aware my taste is open to ridicule and being a Toto fan I have had to get used to it! But for me, Rush and Toto are equals...and I think Toto released two albums in the eighties superior to all of Rush's post MP work: Isolation, Fahrenheit (one of my favourite albums of all time), and Tambu is brilliant guitar based pop rock, and Kingdom Of Desire is mostly rock n roll cheese gold!

And ABBA...they deserve praise. Led Zeppelin were such big fans they recorded one of their albums at ABBA's self made recording studio, and they were proud to admit it. And to disrespect ABBA and Toto coz they were uncool basically sounds like something Rolling Stone would write!

I wasn't disrespecting. I was just curious. The only music I know from them is the stuff that was plastered all over the radio when I was young and in ABBA's case also throughout the disco era. Also, I am no longer bored either. Thanks :codger:

Lol its all opinion...

AC/DC.....that's for me hating Bruce, ain't it? ;)

Lol its all opinion...

AC/DC.....that's for me hating Bruce, ain't it? ;)

Could you define "Trashy Cliche Proto Metal" for me please? Thanks