Happy 35th Anniversary of Hemispheres

losingit2k

From February 2011 thread here entitled "What is love", here is how I feel about the original recording of this song:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/63043-what-is-love/#entry2189375

I've been having a problem with this one, because when I try to think about what I have to say about love and what it is, my brain flies off into hundreds of bright twinkling little pieces that all try to catch my eye and demand my attention, but none of which I can quite grab hold of, or even perhaps want to.

It's been said that "all you need is love," and although there might be a very broad sense in which that's true, it's definitely a tremendous oversimplification as applied to everyday life, relationships and communication. I much prefer the Cygnus view of the whole thing which acknowledges that although love does indeed bring laughter, music, joy and tears, and soothes your primal fears, without intellect and hard work there is nothing but spirits divided into blinded hemispheres, and suddenly we're back to music again. I think of that man trying to sing that song and how hard it was, of how he took on a challenge that tried to break him but he withstood it with stubbornness, passion and a hell of a strong diaphragm to create something that thirty-five years later makes my heart flutter and fortifies the strength of my soul to struggle towards life and achievement, and that is not quite a person and not quite an idea and not at all a tangible, definable, quantifiable entity of any kind, but it is...Love.

• Like 2

Happy anniversary to my favorite Rush album! :Neil:

The whole Greek gods concept of Cygnus Part II really captured my imagination when I was a young man...that whole piece really transported me musically and lyrically.

I also think as a whole this album has monstrous playing by the boys, and is IMO Geddy's best 'bass' album. He just goes OFF on this whole record.

The other great thing with Hemispheres is there is not one tune or part that I ever want to skip. It's ALL brilliant.

I thought it very interesting when the band thought back on this album that this is the one they stretched and reached for the most as musicians. It was a tough recording for them because they were still recording live in the studio and the material on this one was really difficult (their own fault, LOL).

Hemispheres has it all, and for being so complex, it's really quite melodic in most of it's parts...and Circumstances, The Trees, and even LaVilla are tuneful and mirthful.

• Like 3

I remember getting this one hot off the presses. Brilliant album of course.

My list.................

1. All The World's A Stage

2. A Farewell To Kings

3. Hemispheres

Note: The harsh reality, and it has been discussed over and over around here is............ Most of this album should be played live in the instrumedley form due to Geddy's voice. It just seems like it hurts for him to sing the older stuff so much. The Circumstances piece is a perfect example. To hear the music from that era is enough for me........... No hate mail please. My heart is in the right place. I just feel for him, and that's the truth. :codger:

• Like 2

Fabulous album and my introduction to the band. Read a review in Sounds and bought the album. The reviewer, Geoff Barton, didn't know if he thought it was a classic or a mistake and has since said he doesn't like it. His loss.

Probably in my top 5 albums of all time.

• Like 2

Hemisphere is and probably will probably always be my favorite RUSH album. This is the album that cemented my Love for :rush: after I discovered them with Signals and started looking backward at their catalog. Yes Moving Pictures was awesome as was Permanent Waves but when I heard Hemisphere it was something totally different. It was a progressive metallic masterpiece! This album blew me away so much, I couldn't find pieces of myself in the aftermath. They must still be out there in the vast universe floating like the fragments of a fractured asteroid. Though, Clockwork Angels brought a few pieces back! I'm hoping the next studio album will bring back the rest and make me whole again! http://solarsystem.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/gallery/White_Dwarf_Asteroid.jpg Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 4

This is the album that cemented my Love for :rush: . This album blew me away so much, I couldn't find pieces of myself. They must still be out there floating in the vast universe. Though Clockwork Angels brought a few pieces back! :codger:

You're a "Hemisfreak".
  • Like 1

My apologies for this but I am watching The Five and Andrea Tantaros is so freak'in hot! Just had to get that out. Sorry 2K. Carry on....................... :codger: :rose:
  • Like 1

This is the album that cemented my Love for :rush: . This album blew me away so much, I couldn't find pieces of myself. They must still be out there floating in the vast universe. Though Clockwork Angels brought a few pieces back! :codger:

You're a "Hemisfreak".

More of a Clockworksphere Freak! :codger:

My apologies for this but I am watching The Five and Andrea Tantaros is so freak'in hot! Just had to get that out. Sorry 2K. Carry on....................... :codger: :rose:

I'm Guilty!

http://www.oneangryman.com/ken/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Andrea-Tantaros-handcuffs.jpg

Edited by losingit2k

I'm Guilty!

http://www.oneangryman.com/ken/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Andrea-Tantaros-handcuffs.jpg

OMG! You are not helping! :codger: Does this come with the cuffs? :whipgirl: Edited by Narpet

I'm Guilty!

OMG! You are not helping! :codger: Does this come with the cuffs? :whipgirl:

" Narpet I'm ready for you to take me home!" http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xs6acqaXEmc/T2iPB5aSaBI/AAAAAAAAAIk/69Eru2nopj0/s1600/Kim+Lee+3.jpg Edited by losingit2k

Its a good album...but I am very happy they didn't continue with this style as I think by this point it was getting a bit repetitive. 2112 and A Farewell To Kings showed off the styles of this album to much better effect! I must say, though, that the second side of this album is perfection. I struggle greatly with the title track!

Oh, and Geddy's vocals are starting to get on my nerves...sorry...but he redeemed himself with the next release! He is just to shrill...

Will have to rate this as an 7.5/10. Near classic album, not quite up there with the bands best early masterpieces.

• Like 2

Its a good album...but I am very happy they didn't continue with this style as I think by this point it was getting a bit repetitive. 2112 and A Farewell To Kings showed off the styles of this album to much better effect! I must say, though, that the second side of this album is perfection. I struggle greatly with the title track!

Oh, and Geddy's vocals are starting to get on my nerves...sorry...but he redeemed himself with the next release! He is just to shrill...

Will have to rate this as an 7.5/10. Near classic album, not quite up there with the bands best early masterpieces.

Here comes the old guy again... :codger: I couldn't disagree more about the "shrill" comment. That "shrill" was part of their stamp. It was only one of the many reasons I loved them back then and the establishment hated them. That "shrill" is a badge of honor in my book. It's one part, along with the music, that moves me emotionally when I listen to the early music. I can't even fathom it not being there and being all over those records. Nothing personal. Just my opinion :codger: Edited by Narpet
  • Like 2

He comes the old guy again... :codger: I couldn't disagree more about the "shrill" comment. That "shrill" was part of their stamp. It was only one of the many reasons I loved them back then and the establishment hated them. That "shrill" is a badge of honor in my book. It's one part, along with the music, that moves me emotionally when I listen to the early music. I can't even fathom it not being there and being all over those records. Nothing personal. Just my opinion :codger:

Both of you guys have great points. I gotta agree with Segue because even Terry Brown admitted Ged's voice is a half step too high...which is really hard on the sonic pallet of many. Narpet has a point because Ged's voice is the trademark sound of the group.
  • Like 1

He comes the old guy again... :codger: I couldn't disagree more about the "shrill" comment. That "shrill" was part of their stamp. It was only one of the many reasons I loved them back then and the establishment hated them. That "shrill" is a badge of honor in my book. It's one part, along with the music, that moves me emotionally when I listen to the early music. I can't even fathom it not being there and being all over those records. Nothing personal. Just my opinion :codger:

Both of you guys have great points. I gotta agree with Segue because even Terry Brown admitted Ged's voice is a half step too high...which is really hard on the sonic pallet of many. Narpet has a point because Ged's voice is the trademark sound of the group.

Quick story on the "shrill" subject. When I was in high school I used to paint on a crew during the summer. We painted schools. We would move around the county painting different one's all summer. Being as I loved and still do, All The World's A Stage so much, I used to play it while working. This was around 78'. Nobody could stand Rush and the "shrilling" on that recording is everywhere. I can't even remember what I was playing it on. Some 8 track thing probably. I was in the multipurpose room painting one hot summer afternoon and it was blasting away and echoing everywhere. One of my co-workers said to me "I didn't know you liked Janis Joplin". Ouch and double ouch! :codger: :blush: :scared: As Ricky Ricardo would say "I had some splain'in to do!" Edited by Narpet
  • Like 3

One of my top Rush studio albums of all time! It's at the top with Caress of Steel, A Farewell to Kings and Permanent Waves! (prolly a four-way tie)

It was the album I sent to get signed by the boys a few years back as well!