Happy 35th Anniversary of Hemispheres

losingit2k

Hemispheres is tied with AFTK as my favorite studio album. Absolutely the one I spent the most time and sweat with learning to play.
  • Like 2

Its a good album...but I am very happy they didn't continue with this style as I think by this point it was getting a bit repetitive. 2112 and A Farewell To Kings showed off the styles of this album to much better effect! I must say, though, that the second side of this album is perfection. I struggle greatly with the title track!

Oh, and Geddy's vocals are starting to get on my nerves...sorry...but he redeemed himself with the next release! He is just to shrill...

Will have to rate this as an 7.5/10. Near classic album, not quite up there with the bands best early masterpieces.

Here comes the old guy again... :codger: I couldn't disagree more about the "shrill" comment. That "shrill" was part of their stamp. It was only one of the many reasons I loved them back then and the establishment hated them. That "shrill" is a badge of honor in my book. It's one part, along with the music, that moves me emotionally when I listen to the early music. I can't even fathom it not being there and being all over those records. Nothing personal. Just my opinion :codger:

I do agree with this, what I mean is his voice is too extreme. The Temples of Syrinx features ridiculously shrill vocals, as does Xanadu...but nothing of the title track warms to my ears. It sounds like a case of taking a good idea a step to far...thankfully Rush are not ACDC, they know exactly when to stop and change gears! I think if they did just one more album like this the public would have deemed them a one trick pony, and fans would be getting bored. I love his voice. But it is the one thing that ruins the title track. I would have said the same thing if I had been a fan the day of this albums release!

However, as for the second side of this album...9/10...as close to perfection as the first side of 2112...if these had made ul just one entire album I reckon we would be talking about Rush- the band who outsold The Beatles...

• Like 2

Its a good album...but I am very happy they didn't continue with this style as I think by this point it was getting a bit repetitive. 2112 and A Farewell To Kings showed off the styles of this album to much better effect! I must say, though, that the second side of this album is perfection. I struggle greatly with the title track!

Oh, and Geddy's vocals are starting to get on my nerves...sorry...but he redeemed himself with the next release! He is just to shrill...

Will have to rate this as an 7.5/10. Near classic album, not quite up there with the bands best early masterpieces.

Here comes the old guy again... :codger: I couldn't disagree more about the "shrill" comment. That "shrill" was part of their stamp. It was only one of the many reasons I loved them back then and the establishment hated them. That "shrill" is a badge of honor in my book. It's one part, along with the music, that moves me emotionally when I listen to the early music. I can't even fathom it not being there and being all over those records. Nothing personal. Just my opinion :codger:

I do agree with this, what I mean is his voice is too extreme. The Temples of Syrinx features ridiculously shrill vocals, as does Xanadu...but nothing of the title track warms to my ears. It sounds like a case of taking a good idea a step to far...thankfully Rush are not ACDC, they know exactly when to stop and change gears! I think if they did just one more album like this the public would have deemed them a one trick pony, and fans would be getting bored. I love his voice. But it is the one thing that ruins the title track. I would have said the same thing if I had been a fan the day of this albums release!

However, as for the second side of this album...9/10...as close to perfection as the first side of 2112...if these had made ul just one entire album I reckon we would be talking about Rush- the band who outsold The Beatles...

We will just have to disagree and I will leave it there. :codger:
  • Like 1

Well each to their own Narpet! We all need our own viewpoint, and Hemispheres is still growing on me. Although its predecessor is possibly my favourite Rush album, I cannot having one without the other. Their are a few things about this album I dislike, but I couldn't change them (unlike Power Windows).

A year ago if you had asked me what I thought of Signals I would have said "not much", now its edging it close to my tol five, so yeah...right now I struggle with this album, but tomorrow I could play it and it will just click!

But right now, I stand by my opinion: I think Geddy Lee voice saw better days...and better albums! Though admittedly not many...this is likely in my top five:

1) AFWTK

2) 2112

3) PeW

4) GUP

5) Clockwork Angels

Ok...so its my number seven...right after MP!

• Like 1

Love the album but what really strikes me is that while this is the 35th anniversary of Hemispheres, it's also the 28th anniversary of Power Windows. I'm blown away by the idea that these albums, and everything in between them, were only 7 years apart.
  • Like 1

Love the album but what really strikes me is that while this is the 35th anniversary of Hemispheres, it's also the 28th anniversary of Power Windows. I'm blown away by the idea that these albums, and everything in between them, were only 7 years apart.

I agree! You have to admire a band that can decide to make a change and accomplish it so easily. Astonishingly, not just once, either! There aren't too many bands can do that :finbar: .

• Like 3

I agree! You have to admire a band that can decide to make a change and accomplish it so easily. Astonishingly, not just once, either! There aren't too many bands can do that :finbar: .

Observant...the made a lot of great,and long since dated, records in that era. Clockwork Angels stands among those great works.
  • Like 1

Observant...the made a lot of great,and long since dated, records in that era. Clockwork Angels stands among those great works.

Clockwork Angels towers over most of those great works and another major change/ accomplishment if I might add! :codger:

Edited by losingit2k

I love what they did with CA too, but didn't want to bring up any other albums here since this thread is a celebration of 'Hemispheres' ;)

As to Geddy's voice, it only bothers me on the early Rush material if the melodies don't click and if I can't understand him. Happily, on 'Hemispheres', his high range actually works for me here as he delivers the story up above the music, so everything is audible at once.

2112 and Hemispheres both have this cool sci-fi/literary epicness to them that Geddy's otherworldly delivery only makes them more interesting and unique. His voice also lends a sense of real urgency to the characters at certain times in these stories that is very effective.

Edited by Lieutenant Dan
  • Like 2