Should Rush Studio Album #20 be Another Concept Piece?

Holdyourfireal

Should the Next Record be a Concept Album?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Next Record be a Concept Album?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • No!

I view Clockwork Angels as such a masterpiece that I'm spoiled now. I kind of don't want to go back to the days of 8 or 10 loosely, thematically linked songs. I want the next album to be another concept piece to continue building upon the success of Clockwork Angels. Who agrees?
  • Like 3

I view Clockwork Angels as such a masterpiece that I'm spoiled now. I kind of don't want to go back to the days of 8 or 10 loosely, thematically linked songs. I want the next album to be another concept piece to continue building upon the success of Clockwork Angels. Who agrees?

CA is their finest hour. It's weird that I don't even want to listen to their old stuff anymore because of what CA has brought to the table
  • Like 1

I love CA, but I would only want a concept album if they are 100% confident, and not simply repeating a successful formula.

But it would be cool if they tied it in with a book or film of an equally high standard as well!

• Like 4

I'm not totally where they should go next. My first thought is that now they need a good break from it all. Too much exhaustion could lead to a poor new effort.
  • Like 2

I want one, extended conceptual piece like 2112, Hemishperes, or Lamneth. They don't have to do a full album...the 2112 or CoS formula would be perfect in my mind.

And to be clear, that doesn't mean they need to go to the 1976 sound. Stay modern, advance your sound, but do it in a different format.

Oh, and don't overlayer the guitars, have too many Geddys, and mix the album well :D

• Like 5

I want one, extended conceptual piece like 2112, Hemishperes, or Lamneth. They don't have to do a full album...the 2112 or CoS formula would be perfect in my mind.

And to be clear, that doesn't mean they need to go to the 1976 sound. Stay modern, advance your sound, but do it in a different format.

Oh, and don't overlayer the guitars, have too many Geddys, and mix the album well :D

This.

Honestly? I just want another great Rush album! But an extended piece written in a modern style would be really sweet!

• Like 1

Agree with many of you fine folks here.

I'd prefer for them to take their time, some good R&R, and do a concept album based on hockey.

:chickendance:

I like the idea of a side-long track with 5-6 shorter songs to complete an album. When it really happens, please involve Steven Wilson in the mixing process.

I think they should try something new. Something absolutely unexpected that will remind us how forward think rush have always been!

Something orchestral maybe? Like a live album where they revisit old songs with the synth replaced by an orchestra. To keep us on our toes!

Saying that I still have seven albums left to discover. Must seek them out first!

I do think it would be cool to do one based on current times. We've had past, future, and fantasy land. Neil's take on our screwed up world of today could be interesting.

Though it's not a concept album, wouldn't Snakes and Arrows be considered that? I could see it this way.

• Like 3

So basically you want to go back to a 1976 sound?

I don't think that 1976 was the last time they had a good mix, didn't have overlayered guitars or Geddys.

I don't think that 1976 was the last time they had a good mix, didn't have overlayered guitars or Geddys.

^completely agree!

Ok I have made a decision on the subject. Don't call Peter Collins. Don't call Rupert Hine. Give Terry Brown a call and I will gladly accept and probably enjoy the outcome. That is the only combo that is batting 1000 so far........... :codger:
  • Like 1

I do think it would be cool to do one based on current times. We've had past, future, and fantasy land. Neil's take on our screwed up world of today could be interesting.

Though it's not a concept album, wouldn't Snakes and Arrows be considered that? I could see it this way.

This is just what I was thinking.

Ok I have made a decision on the subject. Don't call Peter Collins. Don't call Rupert Hine. Give Terry Brown a call and I will gladly accept and probably enjoy the outcome. That is the only combo that is batting 1000 so far........... :codger:

That's a very titilating thought.

How about Terry and Nick co-produce?

Either way.....bringing Terry back in is interesting. Though it seems Nick has been getting them back to their roots himself the last two albums, while still moving forward.

• Like 2

I'm ok with Nick too. It would just be nice as an old-timer :codger: to see Terry back in the fold. Maybe some nostalgic closure there and a great piece of music to boot would be fine will me.
  • Like 1

They should do a sequel to their last album and call it: Disheveled Devils.

An anarchic, all over the place instrumental album that rivals Yes' Tales Of Topographic Oceans in abstract meaninglessness..... ;) ;)

But seriously, folks, they "should" do whatever they want. The chances of their doing another concept album is about 1 in a quadrillion. They have never tried to duplicate any album, no matter how successful it has been. When they begin their creative process, they begin fresh and clean, and they let that process lead them until they have an end product.

I could totally see them doing something like a post-apocalyptic story in the vein of Mad Max but a bit more philosophic. That would be right up Neils alley.
  • Like 1

Actually, I think a good number of their albums fall into the socially relevant current concept category. I'd love for them to have something that tells a story, though, beginning to end. With characters, plot, etc. like The Who or Pink Floyd have done and have had special shows based upon. If any band could pull that off, it's this one.