The healing power of Rush!

BUB

I've heard people talking about it, and lately i have starting to use the bands music when i'm angry, sad or having a hangover. And it works! I have never experienced this with another band, it's just pure positive energy all the way. Any thoughts?
  • Like 2

Music should move you to a better place. It's no different to me than any art form. For me Rush music is no different than watching a beautiful sunset or any other "spiritual" undertaking. When I listen to the their music, it moves me. I must admit I have never outright cried when listening, but I could see it happening if their music (certain songs in particular) was coupled with and emotional event taking place in my life. No other bands music would ever do that for me. The music makes me happy and floods my mind with great memories from my past. Thankfully Clockwork Angels has come to all of us and may just speak to some young people's hearts and minds of today like it did me 37 years ago. Powerful music with a positive message can do wonders. Can I get an amen?!
  • Like 6

Music should move you to a better place. It's no different to me than any art form. For me Rush music is no different than watching a beautiful sunset or any other "spiritual" undertaking. When I listen to the their music, it moves me. I must admit I have never outright cried when listening, but I could see it happening if their music (certain songs in particular) was coupled with and emotional event taking place in my life. No other bands music would ever do that for me. The music makes me happy and floods my mind with great memories from my past. Thankfully Clockwork Angels has come to all of us and may just speak to some young people's hearts and minds of today like it did me 37 years ago. Powerful music with a positive message can do wonders. Can I get an amen?!

Great post :) I' ve heard stories that Rush have helped people trough sickness and hard times, but to me they was just as any other band, just better. But lately i have used their music more actively, and i'm stunned to be honest.

Yes, Rush's Music has helped me through some tough times, both with their songs that are supposed to help you (like afterimage when my dog died, The Pass, for when you just feel worthless, and making memories, just to remind you that good can come out of seemingly bad things) and just in general the music that makes you happy to hear it. When I was feeling less than special (or just bored), I could always pop on Power Windows or Hold Your Fire for a quick pick me up.

There are certain songs that I listen to for each emotion that I'm feeling which is great, and then there are songs I can just rock out too, which makes rush the total package for me. I've always been deeply I inspired by Neil's lyrics, and sometimes they get me thinking for hours.
  • Like 1

I've been listening to Rush since 1979 or 1980. I wasn't even 10 years old yet. Music was always a big part of my life from as far back as I can remember. I remember being strapped into a car seat as a very small child and fighting with my older sister over the radio station we wanted to listen to in the car. She wanted Q13 and I wanted 96KICKS. My sister is a rocker though and she was the one that really got me into music including Rush. It was her copy of Moving Pictures that I kept taking and listening to. That following year, X-Mas '82 she got me Signals. Iron Maiden was my favorite band through the 80's but Rush was always there. It wasn't until like 1988 did I really decide to get the entire collection. Our rock stations where I am from played their music so much as they had so many songs released for the radio. But I wanted the rest of the collection so I went out and got Hemispheres and shortly after I purchased 2112. I used to walk to girlfriend's house at night in the fall of '88. The walk was just long enough for me to enjoy 2112 in its entirety. This girl was very special to me and what a great soundtrack I had while enjoying getting to know her. That X-Mas she got me Caress of Steel. My sister got me Hold Your Fire and Grace Under Pressure. A Show of Hands was just out and the radio was playing live versions of Mission and Marathon while my girlfriend was hanfing out with me in my room with the Christmas lights. My best friend had moved to Florida and he had come back to town for the holiday. Rush was there through all of this like another best friend. My collection had become almost complete as another girlfriend of mine had given me her Rush Archives at about the same time I had already picked up Rush and Fly By Night. She gave me her Moving Pictures tour shirt too. Come to think of it, there were alot of females involved in building my Rush collection. But it wasn't until a time in the early 90's when I had a girl ruining my life to the point I felt that life was over. Then Rush would come on the radio. Or I would stumble across some Rush in my collection while just sitting in my car parked outside my hell house where the girl and I lived. That is when I felt rescued to a certain degree. Who was she or who is anybody to do hurtful or harmful things to me? I take alot of pride in the things I like. It was some songs from Signals I listened to and I got some strength back. It was like my best friend just took me away from the hell I was going through. It was totally The Analog Kid and Subdivisions that took me from my reality and reminded me of those who really care and that Christmas that I got Signals and seeing the look on my sister's face as she was just as excited to give me that album for Christmas as I was opening it. (I still have her Moving Pictures cassette by the way). But the music reminded me that I care about myself and how much I cared about the music.

Rush is the biggest part of the soundtrack of my life. Their music has been there through the good times and the bad, the growing pains and the fun times. As far as that special girl in '88, well she stopped talking to me. She never said why. We live and learn and looking back at it she probably met somebody else. I'm sure she got into a situation that wasn't sa healthy for her. Then I met another girl and to this day I regret not going out with her. She would sing lines from Xanadu to me. She liked me but to me she looked too much like the other girl and that was too much a reminder to me. Meanwhile that was probably God's way of saying, "Sorry about that one chick. But here's one that looks similar and she loves Rush!" The things we figure out later and wish we could go back and change. But I did end up with a girl who absolutely loves Rush! We were together nearly 5 years. I took her to shows. I got her 2nd row center and 10th row and 6th row and we even got backstage passes for a show 2 years ago. She was in tears when she first saw them play Red Barchetta. As a matter of fact, I had that song on the jukebox when we first met. But she went nuts at some point and fell off the deep end. As disappointing as it was I had to march on without her and do Clockwork Angels on my own. I saw them 3 times on that tour and twice went by myself. But you're never alone at a Rush concert. I feel right at home and I feel I am surrounded by friends. I make alot of friends at those shows and see alot of familiar faces. Not to mention all the Star Wars and Space Invaders shirts there! Big fan of Star Wars and early 80's video games here.

So, yes, it is true that Rush music is a best friend to me and has been there all along. I think that holds true for anything we like. I get meditation out of ice skating and bicycle riding but there is something to be said for the times Rush music has saved me in the ways it has done so.

And the girls still contribute to my Rush collection BTW. Mom is still good for giving me the DVD's at Christmas time. Pretty cool! Thanks mom!

• Like 2

I was very depressed after my first girlfriend left me. Anyway, I used to have a 45 of Fly By Night and after lubricating the center I discovered the Healing power of RUSH! I was being healed over and over again on a nightly basis! There nothing like the healing power of RUSH! I wasn't depressed any longer. Now I Love Fly by Night! :facepalm: Edited by losingit2k

I was very depressed after my first girlfriend left me. Anyway, I used to have a 45 of Fly By Night and after lubricating the center I discovered the Healing power of RUSH! I was being healed over and over again on a nightly basis! There nothing like the healing power of RUSH! I wasn't depressed any longer. Now I Love Fly by Night! :facepalm:

Fly by night. Best fu*king single ever.. :P

• Like 2

I was very depressed after my first girlfriend left me. Anyway, I used to have a 45 of Fly By Night and after lubricating the center I discovered the Healing power of RUSH! I was being healed over and over again on a nightly basis! There nothing like the healing power of RUSH! I wasn't depressed any longer. Now I Love Fly by Night! :facepalm:

Fly by night. Best fu*king single ever.. :P

You know it!

It's absolutely true. I've lost a ton of weight from working out to them. I just don't get that kind of energy or positivity from any other band.

So true. I've dropped 35 pounds the past 5 months. I know it would have been more difficult without them on the road with me in my ears and my heart. :guitar:
  • Like 1

I have severe chronic pain—bad enough to where if it weren't for the people that love me I would have taken an exit stage left already. I recently started weaning off my pain meds in an attempt to take back my life—I'm sick to death of being in a drug haze. But the pain is horrific. So anyway, I recently got a hold of Snakes and Arrows and late at night when really struggling I put it on loud next to my head. The lyrics on multiple songs on that album speak to me as so incredibly appropos that I can't begin to believe it's a coincidence.

It is now my favorite Rush album. And I've been a fan since their very first.

Nobody gets to their heaven without a fight....

It hasn't healed me but it sure helps me.

• Like 5

Permanent Waves and Grace Under Pressure come to mind as two mood settlers, but there are two occasions when I have sat and played A Farewell To Kings through to Moving Pictures and have been left intoxicated, as if I were in a trance and honestly, they mesmerize me!
  • Like 2