Hold Your Fire Anniversery!!!!

Freeze-Frame

Hold Your Fire the start of Rush's unlucky 7 terrible albums.

It's a total crock of shit.

You hate 7 Rush albums. How the hell can you call yourself a Rush fan if you hate 1/3 of all their work.

It seems like almost everybody on this thread hates HYF. Think about it, it has to be one of Rush's top 5 albums.

I may hate 7 Rush albums but I'd been listening to Rush for 21 years when you were born. I was calling myself a Rush fan in 1976.

I don't even consider Rush fans born after 1981 to be true fans. Real fans would have made sure they were born earlier.

Oh come now, Tony. First two sentences cool. Second two - :eyeroll:

I only hate 4 albums (well, hate 1, greatly dislike 2 and 1 is mediocre at best), and HYF is DEFINITELY not in that list! Outside of the two mistakes at the end of the album, it's a fantastic and criminally underrated album. Maybe it's just your opinion that's a total crock of shit? :huh: ;)

Like everyone else here, I'm a Rush fan. That means I can find something I enjoy about all of their albums. But I find it hard to believe that, even if this was the first Rush album to which you were exposed, it would remain your favorite album by them once you've heard all the others. If you're a prog fan, it's better than AFTK or Hemispheres? If you're a straightforward rock fan, it's better than PeW or MP? Jeez, if you're a synth era fan, it's better than Signals or PeW?

I didn't know the definition of being a Rush fan was that you can find something to enjoy about all their albums. I wish it were true, but I'm a Rush fan and there is just nothing I've ever found to enjoy about T4E or VT. Presto & RTB have a tiny bit to enjoy about them, but most of the songs are mediocre to bad or worse.

Like everyone else here, I'm a Rush fan. That means I can find something I enjoy about all of their albums. But I find it hard to believe that, even if this was the first Rush album to which you were exposed, it would remain your favorite album by them once you've heard all the others. If you're a prog fan, it's better than AFTK or Hemispheres? If you're a straightforward rock fan, it's better than PeW or MP? Jeez, if you're a synth era fan, it's better than Signals or PeW?

I didn't know the definition of being a Rush fan was that you can find something to enjoy about all their albums. I wish it were true, but I'm a Rush fan and there is just nothing I've ever found to enjoy about T4E or VT. Presto & RTB have a tiny bit to enjoy about them, but most of the songs are mediocre to bad or worse.

It isn't. But because I'm a fan, every album has something I enjoy.

You hate 7 Rush albums. How the hell can you call yourself a Rush fan if you hate 1/3 of all their work.

It seems like almost everybody on this thread hates HYF. Think about it, it has to be one of Rush's top 5 albums.

I may hate 7 Rush albums but I'd been listening to Rush for 21 years when you were born. I was calling myself a Rush fan in 1976.

I don't even consider Rush fans born after 1981 to be true fans. Real fans would have made sure they were born earlier.

I call myself a Rush fan because I like their music. In fact, I enjoy ALL of their songs whether it's from T4E, VT, HYF, Presto, RTB, or any other album. Even though I'm younger than you, that still doesn't make me less of a fan. That's like saying you have to be 18 years old or less to enjoy the crappy music that's produced these days. If you want to be a Rush fan, then you must enjoy their music; it doesn't depend on your age. Hating Rush's music, especially a large portion of it, shouldn't make you a Rush fan. I think the words you were trying to find were "don't enjoy." That takes a whole different meaning to your comment.

were the hold your fire tour audiences pissed? because of all the synth era tunes in the set?

In the UK we hadn't seen the band since the Signals tour. It was strange having Geddy encamped behind his keyboard. The Hold Your Fire songs sort have the same no guitar first verse approach so Alex looked a little stranded. I seem to remember these songs being greeted with lukewarm applause. I still reckon their absence from the UK for five years lost them a lot of the fan base.

I call myself a Rush fan because I like their music. In fact, I enjoy ALL of their songs whether it's from T4E, VT, HYF, Presto, RTB, or any other album. Even though I'm younger than you, that still doesn't make me less of a fan. That's like saying you have to be 18 years old or less to enjoy the crappy music that's produced these days. If you want to be a Rush fan, then you must enjoy their music; it doesn't depend on your age. Hating Rush's music, especially a large portion of it, shouldn't make you a Rush fan. I think the words you were trying to find were "don't enjoy." That takes a whole different meaning to your comment.

No, I hate them.

were the hold your fire tour audiences pissed? because of all the synth era tunes in the set?

i saw the HYF tour, and it was the most fun i ever had at a rush show. as far as i can recall, the audience was WAY into it! if anyone there was upset about the synths, they somehow went to sleep from 1981 to 1987 and didn't realize it was their 4th synth album in a row.

i know there are a lot of fans who dropped off after moving pictures, but those people generally weren't there 4 synth albums later, especially after HYF, their most synth-y album. you have to remember that back then MTV was really popular and their current songs still got played on rock radio, and unlike today, even casual fans still heard their new material, or at least the big hits, so they knew what was going on with Rush, even if they didn't like it.

• Like 1

i saw the HYF tour, and it was the most fun i ever had at a rush show. as far as i can recall, the audience was WAY into it! if anyone there was upset about the synths, they somehow went to sleep from 1981 to 1987 and didn't realize it was their 4th synth album in a row.

i know there are a lot of fans who dropped off after moving pictures, but those people generally weren't there 4 synth albums later, especially after HYF, their most synth-y album. you have to remember that back then MTV was really popular and their current songs still got played on rock radio, and unlike today, even casual fans still heard their new material, or at least the big hits, so they knew what was going on with Rush, even if they didn't like it.

that's the thing - most HYF boots I can find, the crowd really digs the synth set. obviously they go crazier for sawyer or la villa, but there's a big reaction for certain synth tunes that seemed to bore people on the CA tour.

that's the thing - most HYF boots I can find, the crowd really digs the synth set. obviously they go crazier for sawyer or la villa, but there's a big reaction for certain synth tunes that seemed to bore people on the CA tour.

If that were true, it would make sense. The album is a product of the times, and the sounds of those times has not survived very well. The synths have a very dated feel that Rush's other work generally doesn't have.

If that were true, it would make sense. The album is a product of the times, and the sounds of those times has not survived very well. The synths have a very dated feel that Rush's other work generally doesn't have.

there are a few embarrassing parts on power windows and HYF, but overall I don't think a lot of it sounds dated at all. it's synth music, yes, you can tell it came out in the 80s but you can also tell rush's 70s work came out in the 70s, their 90s work in the 90s and so on.

there are a few embarrassing parts on power windows and HYF, but overall I don't think a lot of it sounds dated at all. it's synth music, yes, you can tell it came out in the 80s but you can also tell rush's 70s work came out in the 70s, their 90s work in the 90s and so on.

But guitar based music in general from the 70s and the 90s has stood the test of time better than synth based music. When HYF came out it wasn't jarring because so much music of the time had that thin, synth saturated quality. But compare it to guitar music over time and it's glaringly different in a way that is not well received now.

stating your opinion as if it were fact (and i'm well practiced in that technique ;) ) doesn't make it true or anything more than your opinion. a hell of a lot of people here LOVE their synth period. too bad you're missing out.

Edited by rushgoober

stating your opinion as if it were fact (and i'm well practiced in that technique ;) ) doesn't make it true or anything more than your opinion. a hell of a lot of people here LOVE their synth period. too bad you're missing out.

I think it's implied in his post that it's his opinion Goobs. Saying that something "feels dated" is pretty clearly an opinion, no?

Stating an opinion in the form of a fact would be, oh, I don't know, saying that objectively the best music of all time was recorded between 1966 and 1976, or something to that effect. ;)

• Like 1

Also, it pushed the band to strip away the synths, so thank you for that, HYF!

That was actually quite a shame. I've seriously missed the synths ever since, especially since they only made one great album in their next five after HYF, and even THEN while I enjoyed the hard rock sound of Counterparts, I still missed the synths. Thankfully their last two albums have been great. Would I still love to have the synths back to the level they were in Signals to HYF - F*CK yes! At least they've made a couple great albums, however, so I can't really complain too much about that one. I freakin' LOVED the synth period. :yes: :wub:

:goodone:

I think it's implied in his post that it's his opinion Goobs. Saying that something "feels dated" is pretty clearly an opinion, no?

Stating an opinion in the form of a fact would be, oh, I don't know, saying that objectively the best music of all time was recorded between 1966 and 1976, or something to that effect. ;)

:LOL:

point well taken, but i still don't read it as opinion.

i guess the thing i really find annoying is when ledrush is in the minority with his opinion and tries to frame things as if he's in the majority. anyway, it's his loss if he's missing out on some of Rush's best albums. :yes: :wub:

and i would say more like 1965-1978 ;)

• Like 1

i guess the thing i really find annoying is when ledrush is in the minority with his opinion and tries to frame things as if he's in the majority. anyway, it's his loss if he's missing out on some of Rush's best albums. :yes: :wub:

yeah, it's like the thread where he talks about counterparts being worse than test for echo. and tries to like, mathematically prove it or some stupid shit. it's crazy

at shows it does seem like people like ledrush are the majority though.

yeah, it's like the thread where he talks about counterparts being worse than test for echo. and tries to like, mathematically prove it or some stupid shit. it's crazy

Huh? I've tried to show that RTB is more popular than CP, but I don't believe I've tried to mathmatically prove T4E is better than CP. I believe that's the case, but I've acknowledged a ton of times that mine is the minority opinion.

Huh? I've tried to show that RTB is more popular than CP, but I don't believe I've tried to mathmatically prove T4E is better than CP. I believe that's the case, but I've acknowledged a ton of times that mine is the minority opinion.

RTB has a few "popular" songs like the title track and dreamline, but CP is a more well-received album

RTB has a few "popular" songs like the title track and dreamline, but CP is a more well-received album

CP received better reviews, which I think speaks to the album's perceived quality. It sold a lot less and got less radio airplay and charting, which speaks to the popularity of the albums.

CP received better reviews, which I think speaks to the album's perceived quality. It sold a lot less and got less radio airplay and charting, which speaks to the popularity of the albums.

I thought you meant popularity amongst fans. roll the bones is not a popular album among the fans

I thought you meant popularity amongst fans. roll the bones is not a popular album among the fans

Among the hardcore fans, yes. Something I've also posted about a few times.