Hold Your Fire Anniversery!!!!

Freeze-Frame

Hold Your Fire starts out great! Force Ten is awesome! Time Stand Still is such a great song and they played it so well on the Time Machine tour. It almost sounded a little more raw on that tour. Open Secrets is totally underrated and completely overlooked. The first 3 songs on that album totally delivered and felt like the great songs were just gonna keep coming. But the record took a different direction after those 3 tracks. Second Nature was very dull. But the worst song on that side of the record should not have been any worse than Prime Mover and Second Nature was just that. It made Prime Mover a worse song because the dull sound continued, but Prime Mover was a better song. Lock and Key is another very good rock song considering the era but Mission got lost in the mix and the rest of the record just is not good at all. I mean everything Rush does they do well but keep in mind the era and the direction they were going. Many of the songs on Hold Your Fire hit a dead end for the direction of Rush at that time. Keep in mind the second half of the 1980's was bad overall (although metal was still real good despite some commercial moves). Van Halen with no David Lee Roth, how depressing. Judas Priest and the Turbo album was another disappointment thanks to the commercial movement of that era and bands selling themselves out. Journey's Raised on Radio was a big disappointent. Rock and Roll was dying in the late 80's. Def Leppard Hysteria makes me wanna throw up. U2 Joshua Tree, every popular kid in high school all the sudden was a fan of U2 and Def Leppard that year. Even Iron Maiden was using synthesized sounds in their music. Ozzy was covered with sparkling outfits on stage and big puffy hair. This glamor phase took over and it was reflected in much of the music in that era. The late 80's was too dressed up with synthesizers, hair styles, glitter, glamor, fashion, and just got too colorful. The airwaves had resorted to classic rock at that point. Radio stations retreated to the 70's. There was alot of "WTF" in the second half of the 80's. I am thankful for everything Rush gives to us and would never put down any of their work. They have plenty of albums that are good begining to end that they don't have to justify not making a Moving Pictures everytime they make a new album. Every Rush album has songs that I absolutley love! So I took my 5 and a half favorites off the Hold Your Fire CD and put them in the I-Pod. For those who love those other songs, that is great! I'm not a big fan of Turn the Page, etc,. I grew up south of Pittsburgh where we have nice Autumns. Rush has had their share of records and singles released in or just around Autumn and many of their songs grew on me at that time. I especially love Rush music in the Fall. Hold Your Fire came out right at that time Fall was approaching. Signals was released 9/9/82, arguably my favorite Rush album. Since then, Autumn weather always makes me anticipate new Rush music as I have many memories of new Rush at that time. Test For Echo, Power Windows, Roll the Bones, Counterparts, all were new that time of year and even Moving Pictures went very strong into that tme of year. So Hold Your Fire coming out at that time of year has made its place in the soundtrack of my life in 1987. Although not my favorite Rush album overall, Happy belated birthday HYF. Time Stand Still stands out to me so much in that year of my life. I'm glad Rush music has always been there.
  • Like 1

were the hold your fire tour audiences pissed? because of all the synth era tunes in the set?

i saw the HYF tour, and it was the most fun i ever had at a rush show. as far as i can recall, the audience was WAY into it! if anyone there was upset about the synths, they somehow went to sleep from 1981 to 1987 and didn't realize it was their 4th synth album in a row.

i know there are a lot of fans who dropped off after moving pictures, but those people generally weren't there 4 synth albums later, especially after HYF, their most synth-y album. you have to remember that back then MTV was really popular and their current songs still got played on rock radio, and unlike today, even casual fans still heard their new material, or at least the big hits, so they knew what was going on with Rush, even if they didn't like it.

that's the thing - most HYF boots I can find, the crowd really digs the synth set. obviously they go crazier for sawyer or la villa, but there's a big reaction for certain synth tunes that seemed to bore people on the CA tour.

If that were true, it would make sense. The album is a product of the times, and the sounds of those times has not survived very well. The synths have a very dated feel that Rush's other work generally doesn't have.

stating your opinion as if it were fact (and i'm well practiced in that technique ;) ) doesn't make it true or anything more than your opinion. a hell of a lot of people here LOVE their synth period. too bad you're missing out.

I think it's implied in his post that it's his opinion Goobs. Saying that something "feels dated" is pretty clearly an opinion, no?

Stating an opinion in the form of a fact would be, oh, I don't know, saying that objectively the best music of all time was recorded between 1966 and 1976, or something to that effect. ;)

:LOL:

point well taken, but i still don't read it as opinion.

i guess the thing i really find annoying is when ledrush is in the minority with his opinion and tries to frame things as if he's in the majority. anyway, it's his loss if he's missing out on some of Rush's best albums. :yes: :wub:

and i would say more like 1965-1978 ;)

yeah, it's like the thread where he talks about counterparts being worse than test for echo. and tries to like, mathematically prove it or some stupid shit. it's crazy

Huh? I've tried to show that RTB is more popular than CP, but I don't believe I've tried to mathmatically prove T4E is better than CP. I believe that's the case, but I've acknowledged a ton of times that mine is the minority opinion.

RTB has a few "popular" songs like the title track and dreamline, but CP is a more well-received album

CP received better reviews, which I think speaks to the album's perceived quality. It sold a lot less and got less radio airplay and charting, which speaks to the popularity of the albums.

I thought you meant popularity amongst fans. roll the bones is not a popular album among the fans

Among the hardcore fans, yes. Something I've also posted about a few times.

OMG, so are you now actually FINALLY admitting that RTB is a less popular album than CP among hardcore fans?

And if so, do you really imagine there are more casual fans out there listening to RTB then there are listening to CP?

were the hold your fire tour audiences pissed? because of all the synth era tunes in the set?

i saw the HYF tour, and it was the most fun i ever had at a rush show. as far as i can recall, the audience was WAY into it! if anyone there was upset about the synths, they somehow went to sleep from 1981 to 1987 and didn't realize it was their 4th synth album in a row.

i know there are a lot of fans who dropped off after moving pictures, but those people generally weren't there 4 synth albums later, especially after HYF, their most synth-y album. you have to remember that back then MTV was really popular and their current songs still got played on rock radio, and unlike today, even casual fans still heard their new material, or at least the big hits, so they knew what was going on with Rush, even if they didn't like it.

that's the thing - most HYF boots I can find, the crowd really digs the synth set. obviously they go crazier for sawyer or la villa, but there's a big reaction for certain synth tunes that seemed to bore people on the CA tour.

If that were true, it would make sense. The album is a product of the times, and the sounds of those times has not survived very well. The synths have a very dated feel that Rush's other work generally doesn't have.

stating your opinion as if it were fact (and i'm well practiced in that technique ;) ) doesn't make it true or anything more than your opinion. a hell of a lot of people here LOVE their synth period. too bad you're missing out.

I think it's implied in his post that it's his opinion Goobs. Saying that something "feels dated" is pretty clearly an opinion, no?

Stating an opinion in the form of a fact would be, oh, I don't know, saying that objectively the best music of all time was recorded between 1966 and 1976, or something to that effect. ;)

:LOL:

point well taken, but i still don't read it as opinion.

i guess the thing i really find annoying is when ledrush is in the minority with his opinion and tries to frame things as if he's in the majority. anyway, it's his loss if he's missing out on some of Rush's best albums. :yes: :wub:

and i would say more like 1965-1978 ;)

yeah, it's like the thread where he talks about counterparts being worse than test for echo. and tries to like, mathematically prove it or some stupid shit. it's crazy

Hey! That was my thread. How did I get dragged into this?

For the record, I love HYF. It just has 2 more songs after what feels like the end of the album.

I think high water's pretty good

I love thoughts. And how they can be so wrong.

:P

In your defense, it's better than Tai Shan, but I really don't like either and always skip them.

high water is better than tai shan, second nature, AND prime mover

In your defense, it's better than Tai Shan, but I really don't like either and always skip them.

:eyeroll:

:no:

• Like 1

It is because of this thread that a couple of days ago, I was hearing Tai Shan in my head through a good portion of the day...I hesitate to call it a BAD song, but it is the weakest on a really strong album...

On a possibly related note, yesterday I put on Roll the Bones because I had Face Up similarly in my mind's jukebox.

It's the mystery of the week so far, for me. I just don't get it.

I definitely don't get why it's always lumped in with Tai Shan as an absolute clunker. It's certainly not one of the best songs on the album, but I don't think it's as bad as most in this community make it out to be.

nope

I definitely don't get why it's always lumped in with Tai Shan as an absolute clunker. It's certainly not one of the best songs on the album, but I don't think it's as bad as most in this community make it out to be.

it's not

nope

i agree with you, high water is NOT better than those songs. :cheers:

nope

damn you got me

nope

damn you got me

seriously though, prime move is the shiznit. :yes: :haz:

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 1

love this album! and yes, the first time i saw the track list TurnThePage, i thought they actually put a cover on their albums! lol yea, right! RushON!! :dweez:

It's still my favorite album by Rush. I also bought it the day of release and I got it on vinyl. I've since bought the CD however. Two weeks prior to the release WRDU Classic Rock radio station in Raleigh was previewing four songs - Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Mission, and Turn the page were the songs that were played to promote it with Force Ten and Time Stand Still getting the most spins. The album has always symbolized a change in life or rite of passage. Having just graduated from high school, "Turn the Page" became a very important song that reminded me that we often move past certain relationships and on to new ones.

And then the concert in January 1988 in Raleigh still ranks as my fave Rush show. Meeting the caterers cooking dinner among the tour buses to hanging with a lot of fans outside Reynolds Coliseum for the band to exit. Very inspirational show.

edit: just some more memories. I remember all the red balloons falling from the ceiling. But before that happened, many fans were looking up waiting them to fall. Geddy said, "why are you looking up there, we're over here!" But in a funny way, not upset or anything.

A few days before the concert, we'd had an ice or snow storm come through. I distinctly remember the sun going down creating a brilliant light on the ice hanging from the trees on campus. It certainly created a pleasant atmosphere.

Great story. Thanks for sharing the memories.