Most Underrated Rush Album

ANTHEM75

Signals & T4E

Signals is Underrated?

Mick

not underrated, more like overlooked

Signals is overlooked?

• Like 2

By far Hold Your Fire. Unappreciated brilliance. Yes it is layered to the max with synths and sequenced parts. Yes it is by far the most contemporary Rush album ever. Yes yes yes.

For me it is was one of the crowning achievements of this band (along with Power Windows in this phase of their evolution). A power trio whose roots were Led Zeppelin, Cream and The Who, able to produce a record so in tune with the times they were in was mind blowing. The absolute essence of Rush that has always been relevant throughout their history, was their uncanny way of hearing what was going on around them and finding a way to incorporate that with their sound and signature style.

It was brilliant.

And yes it became a tough relationship (musically) between Alex and Geddy during this phase of the band. But incredibly and in hindsight, Alex layed down some of his finest guitar work during the 80's period.

Analog Kid

Chemistry

Digital Man

The Weapon

Red Sector A

Afterimage

Kid Gloves

The Body Electric

Between The Wheels

The Big Money

Grand Designs

Marathon

Territories

Middletown Dreams

Emotion Detector

Open Secrets

The Mission

Turn The Page

Time Stand Still

High Water

All brilliant guitar work in my book. Do I like his work better before this? Yeah. Give me Hemispheres-Moving Pictures as his absolute prime best guitar work in every category. But the way Alex had to evolve his sound and role in the band was brilliant, albeit difficult at times.

It made for very interesting, exciting and fresh new Rush music (and opened them to a whole new generation of fans). I am glad it happened the way it happened. It's what made this band so much fun to listen to. Where as every single AC/DC record sounds like the same riffs and sonic sound over and over and over and over.

Boring.

Hold Your Fire may not be an iconic Rush album, like 2112 or MP, but it is by far one of the bands superior efforts. To my ears, this is every a perfect album.

• Like 2

I find something to enjoy on every Rush album. And I am very invested in their journey as musicians and as a band.

That being said, I find S&A fairly meh. Likewise COS and HYF.

I love Presto, even with the tinny production, there is some great material there.

I like T4E also.

Signals is a big favourite, as is Counterparts.

Hmm, horses for courses?

Signals & T4E

Signals is Underrated?

Mick

not underrated, more like overlooked

Signals is overlooked?

I think it is, I have said it many times, after moving pictures, people say it is a "let down" because of them adding all the synths.

But Signals is one of my all time favorites

• Like 1

I think it is, I have said it many times, after moving pictures, people say it is a "let down" because of them adding all the synths.

But Signals is one of my all time favorites

This perception has long held. Some of it also had to do with radio play and chart success, rather than quality.

After the masterpiece of Moving Pictures, many fans were expecting MPII, which clearly didn't happen.

• Like 1

The other thing about Fly By Night - they were kids when that came out - only 22.

I think this has a lot to do with Geddy's ranking of the album. How many of us look back on something we did at 22 and not think it was kind of juvenile. I'm sure the album seems really raw and inexperienced. But to me, that's part of it's appeal.

• Like 2

Underrated according to whom?

Looking at what Geddy ranked in the show as far as his favorite albums, I d say he has the older stuff underrated according to my tastes...

I'm a AFTK, Hemispheres, CoS, PW first fan...only because those were my "formative" years....(ATWAS was my first album...so those years were killer). Yeah. I dug Moving Pictures..but thought the prior albums were better...

• Like 1

The other thing about Fly By Night - they were kids when that came out - only 22.

I think this has a lot to do with Geddy's ranking of the album. How many of us look back on something we did at 22 and not think it was kind of juvenile. I'm sure the album seems really raw and inexperienced. But to me, that's part of it's appeal.

To me, there's nothing juvenile about talent, and there is a lot of talent on that album. Nothing to be ashamed of there. I would go as far as saying that if they want something to be embarrassed about, they could fast forward twenty years, but nothing from the seventies.

• Like 2

To me, there's nothing juvenile about talent, and there is a lot of talent on that album. Nothing to be ashamed of there. I would go as far as saying that if they want something to be embarrassed about, they could fast forward twenty years, but nothing from the seventies.

I don't think he thinks it's embarrassing, but just that they were young and Neil was new to writing lyrics. As an artist, he's probably thinking they could have done better. It's that perfectionist thing.

Edited by EagleMoon

FBN is great when one considers the age of the band, but in the grand scheme of things it really is not anything special.

I love the title track.

Edited by Segue Myles

Vapor Trails, hands down. Such a powerful, multifaceted, complex, and honestly un-Rush-like album.

I was listening to Test For Echo the other day, and I have to say, It's a very pleasant listen. It just sounds very joyous and relaxed in a way that the other 90's records don't.

Vapor Trails, hands down. Such a powerful, multifaceted, complex, and honestly un-Rush-like album.

I was listening to Test For Echo the other day, and I have to say, It's a very pleasant listen. It just sounds very joyous and relaxed in a way that the other 90's records don't.

Agreed on both. VT is 100% Great Rush.

I get a real sense of both eighties alt-rock and turn of the millennium brit-rock (think early Muse, Radiohead and the like). Very different for Rush, an absolutely perfect gem, and the abrasive sound is a wonderful flipside to the super slick anaemia of RTB.

Big fan of Vapor Trails.

I get a real sense of both eighties alt-rock and turn of the millennium brit-rock (think early Muse, Radiohead and the like). Very different for Rush, an absolutely perfect gem, and the abrasive sound is a wonderful flipside to the super slick anaemia of RTB.

Big fan of Vapor Trails.

Interesting. I would have never made the comparison between Muse and Vapor Trails. I can't disagree with that but am unsure I can agree...

Either way, with how the Least Glorious rounds are going, it is definitely clear that Vapor Trails needs love :(

Big fan of Vapor Trails.

Interesting. I would have never made the comparison between Muse and Vapor Trails. I can't disagree with that but am unsure I can agree...

Either way, with how the Least Glorious rounds are going, it is definitely clear that Vapor Trails needs love :(

Sorta like Origin Of Symmetry or the more complex mkments of the debut.

Big fan of Vapor Trails.

Hmmm...New Born or Ceiling Unlimited... :haz:

• Like 1

Big fan of Vapor Trails.

Hmmm...New Born or Ceiling Unlimited... :haz:

EXACTLY!

Everybody is right!!!