If you could make an album...

Akron162

I want to try a little socratic experiment here: Supose a music producer aproaches you one day and he says to you that he will let you make an album, however you want to make it with unlimited budget, and you can get any artist to colaborate in it, and you have complete control of its content, from lyrics to cover art.

Describe the album you would make. You dont need to be too specific, maybe just describe its style and what musicians you would like to be in it.

Probably this will not get a lot of replies, but im just curious regardless.

It would depend also on who that producer is, in this scenario, and what control that producer would be exercising, if any. If it were someone like, I don't know, Kevin Shirley, I'd tell him to pound sand. But anyway...I'm not really answering the question yet, am I?

First of all, I don't the "unlimited budget" is needed, as long as you're a real musician, and know what you're going to play. But I understand the gist of the proposal, here.

I'll treat this not as an all-out fantasy session, with musicians out of the past who may not be with us anymore, but rather more modern references.

I imagine I would make an album with a sound along the lines of Jonathan Wilson's or Ray Lamontagne's...I would want Derek Trucks to be involved, for some slide parts- not anything too terribly over the top, but just right, you know...

Hmmm...I'd want Laura Marling to sing a song or two with me on it.

The rhythm section, I have to give some more thought to that.

That's about as much as I can say, off the top of my head.

I´d record a crossover of Abba and The Who, and name the band Abba O´Riley...

Or maybe write some songs that are half Motorhead half Lenny Kravitz and call them Lemmy Kravitz...

Seriously now, my dream band would be: Mike Portnoy on drums, Geddy Lee on bass, Eddie Van Halen and Malcolm Young on guitars and John Bush (Armored Saint, Anthrax) on vocals. The producer would probably be Martin Birch. How it would sound I do not know, but I wouldn´t expect anything short of awesome.

• Like 1

Lead vocals - Maynard James Keenan ( Tool ) 90's

Lead guitar -Eddie Van Halen (DLR VH) 80's

Bass - John Entwistle(Who) 70's

Drums - Keith Moon(Who) 70's

This lineup would be a wall of sound !!!

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

Hmmm, let's see, if I could make an album. For all intents and purposes, I'm getting Mark Tremonti and Myles Kennedy (of Alter Bridge) to play some guest guitar parts and get Myles to sing a song. The album will probably something along the lines of modern hard rock, maybe have prog. influences, with probably a third of the album to have pretty much a soft acoustic singer-songwriting style. Maybe have like a 7-8 min. song, something along the lines of AB's Blackbird.

Also, I have to make sure that the producers and mixer dudes will not screw the sound up where the album is part of the "loudness war". I want to hear the distinctive guitar parts, bass, drums, and vocals pretty well without anything overpowering the other too much.

Yeah, that's not very original, but ehhhh.

Edited by Anguyen92

Lead vocals - Maynard James Keenan ( Tool ) 90's

Lead guitar -Eddie Van Halen (DLR VH) 80's

Bass - John Entwistle(Who) 70's

Drums - Keith Moon(Who) 70's

This lineup would be a wall of sound !!!

Awesomeness! Would just slip Rhoads in there instead of EVH (I've heard MJK cover Diary of Madman as well) :)

Edited by Steevo

Pretty Basic Idea for me, I would get my favorite artists (Rush, those of Oingo Boingo who would participate (as well as Danny Elfman separate to do some orchestral work), Owl City, They Might Be Giants) work on a track each for them, and then get them to do a section of the long song on the album. The album would have two long songs, a handful of super short ones, and the rest clocking between 3-6 minutes. I would attempt to write enough to fill the album. The Album cover would be in classic 3-D (Red and blue glasses required, and included) with various artwork reflecting the general concept. The Producer I would hope would walk up to me would be either Peter Collins or Steve Bartek. Lastly, unlike the popular trend, there would be a bonus track on the physical copies only to promote their sale (because lately it seems some of the best songs from the few new albums I like are iTunes exclusives). If it was a perfect world, I would make a bonus double album edition with the second album being songs by the artists above, but (along with me) interpreted by one of the other artists, as well as a song that all would collaborate on, I am thinking all 18 of us in a big studio to record it. That song would probably be a classical piece like Night on Bald mountain.

The first name that popped into my mind to collaborate with- Iggy Pop. That would be fun!!!

maybe Elvis Costello for a song, Slash would play guitar on a couple songs....hmm....and Robin Zander would do vocals on a tune.

It would be heavy rock mixed with weird sounds LOL.