2013-14 NHL Season Thread

blackhawkrush

Kings and Hawks are very similiar to the Avs and Wings of the late 90's. Two top teams in the league and both from the west.

But no Claude Lemieux, fortunately.

Kings and Hawks are very similiar to the Avs and Wings of the late 90's. Two top teams in the league and both from the west.

But no Claude Lemieux, fortunately.

Yet there is still a potential for a goalie fight.

The East has a long way to go to catch up to the West. It may be a while before we see another Cup final in which team A's goalie plays very well, gets completely overshadowed by the brilliance of team B's goalie, and still wins in 5.

In fact, I half-expected Lundqvist to get the Conn Smythe.

Congratulations to the Kings they were mighty good this year.....just plain graceful under pressure.

• Like 3

Cindy Crosby wins all the metal at the NHL awards. Congrats Sid on being the best player during the regular season and yet totally sucking during the playoffs. I'll paraphrase Darryl Sutter: The goal is to simply make the playoffs and then turn it on so you can play hockey in June. Who really cares about a couple of regular season accolades. And the same applies

to Alexander Ovi-rated.

Edited by alphseeker
  • Like 1

Yes. This is why the Penguins and Canucks did an overhaul - they are teams built to win a lot of regular season games.

The Cup-winning formula is simple:

1. Great goaltending

2. balanced team with speed, toughness, etc

3. 4 lines deep

4. coach > Bylsma

The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that they have agreed to terms with forward Ben Smith and goaltender Antti Raanta on two-year contract extensions, which run through the end of the 2015-16 National Hockey League season.

Smith, 25, recorded career highs in nearly every statistical category this past season, posting 26 points (14G, 12A) in 75 regular-season games with the Blackhawks. The Avon, Conn., native won 50.8 percent (200 of 394) of his faceoffs and ranked second among team forwards with 58 blocked shots. Smith notched a career-best two points (1G, 1A) on March 16 vs. Detroit, including his first career game-winner. He registered a career-long three-game goal streak (3G) from April 3-6.

Chicago’s 2008 sixth-round draft pick (169th overall), Smith added four goals and two helpers in 19 2014 Stanley Cup playoff games; he shared third on the team with a +5 plus/minus rating and 28 blocked shots during the postseason.

A member of the 2013 Stanley Cup championship team, Smith has recorded 30 points (18G, 12A) in 95 regular-season contests with Chicago and has nine points (7G, 2A) in 27 postseason games. The Boston College graduate has registered 109 points (61G, 48A) in 155 career American Hockey League games with the Rockford IceHogs, in addition to one goal in three postseason tilts.

Raanta, 25, posted a 13-5-4 record with a 2.71 goals-against average and a .897 save percentage in 25 appearances with Chicago in his NHL debut this past season. The Rauma, Finland, native registered a season-high 34 saves on March 18 at Philadelphia. Raanta posted his first career NHL shutout after stopping all 26 shots he faced on Dec. 30 vs. Los Angeles. He earned his first career NHL win in his first career start with a 3-2 victory at Calgary; Raanta made his NHL debut on Nov. 19 at Colorado. He also posted a 7-5-0 record with a .914 SV% and 2.83 GAA in 14 games with the American Hockey League’s Rockford IceHogs.

Raanta notched a 54-33-21 record and 10 shutouts over four seasons with Lukko Rauma and Assat Pori of SM-liiga from 2009 to 2013, adding a 12-8 mark with four shutouts in 21 postseason contests. He posted a 4-3 record with a 2.09 GAA and a .928 SV% for his native Finland in the 2013 IIHF World Championship and was named as one of the country’s top three players by the tournament coaches.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=723916

Kesler cements his reputation as a complete asswipe by demanding a trade, handcuffing the Canucks to two teams, and guaranteeing a weak return. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out (but either way, he'll act like it did).

Garrison's gone too. Canucks are clearing an awful lot of cap space, but to what end?

Toews and Kane asking for $12 million each. We didn't win this year, one more chance next season. :sigh:

I think that's selfish of them. The Hawks will have several other players that they'll need to sign after next season, and dedicating $24 mil out of $69 mil for just two players makes it tough to keep a winning team together.

• Like 2

Toews and Kane asking for $12 million each. We didn't win this year, one more chance next season. :sigh:

Give Toews what he wants - Don't risk it - Wrap him up, he is gold. Kane is no Toews. Edited by alphseeker

I think that's selfish of them. The Hawks will have several other players that they'll need to sign after next season, and dedicating $24 mil out of $69 mil for just two players makes it tough to keep a winning team together.

Yes, we did the same thing after the 2010 season and it took us two years to get back to the top. I know that these guys were vital for the Hawks to win championships but the talk was about 8-9 million a piece. We still have a year for the price to go down and maybe it will. If it doesn't, we'll have to hope our kids can step up and fill the line-up. As I said before, Quenneville is terrible dealing with new players, therefore it's a nightmare waiting to happen. The two superstars will have to think about either choosing to make more money or winning titles.

The Stanley Cup will be in my town on Monday!

Hubie McDonough, ex-L.A. King, and Director of Hockey Operations for the Kings' minor league team in Manchester, NH, will be accompanying the Stanley Cup to his alma mater, St. Anselm College in Manchester, NH, on Monday.

What makes it better is that A: I'm a Kings fan, and B: my wife works at St. Anselm college!

I'll try to get a picture of us with the most coveted trophy in sports, and post it here.

Jacked and pumped!

• Like 1

Give Toews what he wants - Don't risk it - Wrap him up, he is gold. Kane is no Toews.

Sorry, Alphy. Can't break up the set. Kane's been money and has scored some big goals for us. The city would go nuts if he were to leave.
  • Like 2

Give Toews what he wants - Don't risk it - Wrap him up, he is gold. Kane is no Toews.

Sorry, Alphy. Can't break up the set. Kane's been money and has scored some big goals for us. The city would go nuts if he were to leave.

I'd hate for them to break the set. I hope they work it out.