Left handed musicians

Akron162

A couple of things happened this week. First i just noted that Ian Paice is left handed, yes is odd, but i really never noticed before, but i guess the inverted kit should have make it clear.

The second thing is that i also noted that my teacher is left handed, and he is one of the best drummers ive seen, and he plays a completely normal kit without problem!

Then why the hell musicians invert their instruments!!!??? You know, in terms of coordination the drums is the instrument most difficult to play, why a guitarist or bass player would invert his chords?

Just something that has been going around in my head.

Edited by Akron162

I've read somewhere that Paul McCartney has some of his chords modified when he plays guitar. For me, as a right-hander, it's very diffucult to figure it out.

Talking of Paice, Steve Morse is left handed too, but plays right handed. That makes him seem even better!

Duane Allman, Mark Knopfler and BB KIng are and do too. Also Gary Moore was and did too. Elvis Costello as well.

Then you've got the lefties who play left handed like Hendrix, Tony Iommi, Albert King, Paul McCartney...

And I'm left handed!

Talking of Paice, Steve Morse is left handed too, but plays right handed. That makes him seem even better!

Duane Allman, Mark Knopfler and BB KIng are and do too. Also Gary Moore was and did too. Elvis Costello as well.

Then you've got the lefties who play left handed like Hendrix, Tony Iommi, Albert King, Paul McCartney...

And I'm left handed!

I had heard that Jimi was right handed and played guitar left handed. Photos of him signing autographs show him writing with his right hand

http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/736x/68/fe/69/68fe699af6af029a37003236b2bcb1c2.jpg

Edited by apetersvt

Phil Collins plays left handed.

Ringo Starr is a lefty who plays right handed.

And I'm left handed!

I had heard that Jimi was right handed and played guitar left handed. Photos of him signing autographs show him writing with his right hand

http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/736x/68/fe/69/68fe699af6af029a37003236b2bcb1c2.jpg

Back in the day lefties were forced to write right-handed. They had no choice.

Robert Fripp and John Wetton are lefties who play right-handed.

And I'm left handed!

Yeah Jimi's dad believed left-handedness was the work of the devil and made him do everything right handed, including playing guitar. When his dad was around he'd play right-handed then switch to the left when his dad was gone. Obviously his dad made sure he wrote with his right hand and he continued to do that. So Hendrix could play right handed or left-handed but obviously was happier playing left-handed.

Lots of left-handers learn to do stuff with their right hand because in a lot of cases there's no choice. If you're playing golf and the clubs are all right handed then you play right handed, same with scissors most of them are designed for the right hand.

I always hate cheque books, they always open to the left and get in the way of my left hand, same with ring binders. don't forget tin openers and so on.

• Like 1

And I'm left handed!

Yeah Jimi's dad believed left-handedness was the work of the devil and made him do everything right handed, including playing guitar. When his dad was around he'd play right-handed then switch to the left when his dad was gone. Obviously his dad made sure he wrote with his right hand and he continued to do that. So Hendrix could play right handed or left-handed but obviously was happier playing left-handed.

Lots of left-handers learn to do stuff with their right hand because in a lot of cases there's no choice. If you're playing golf and the clubs are all right handed then you play right handed, same with scissors most of them are designed for the right hand.

I always hate cheque books, they always open to the left and get in the way of my left hand, same with ring binders. don't forget tin openers and so on.

I'm left handed also, so I appreciate your frustrations, Treeduck. When I see anyone using their left hand, (musician, athlete, public figure, etc) I take notice. I'm glad Hendrix chose the better way to play. :P
  • Like 1

And I'm left handed!

I'm left handed also, so I appreciate your frustrations, Treeduck. When I see anyone using their left hand, (musician, athlete, public figure, etc) I take notice. I'm glad Hendrix chose the better way to play. :P

Aye!

:cheers:

John Flansburg is another lefty who plays left. Another interesting thing, my sister is right handed, and is terrible at using her left hand, except for playing guitar (actually guitar hero, but same difference) where she is useless if she tries to play righty.

interesting thread. I have always wondered why right handed playing has evolved into strumming with your right hand and fretting with the left..when it should be easier the other way around because fretting notes is usually harder than strumming or plucking a string. but I guess it all depends on the type of music you're playing too

I always thought about learning the guitar but intentionally learn to play left handed (I'm a righty)