Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief

Rod in Toronto

Hey guys...it´s my first post here in the Turn teh Page section. I just finished reading Lawrence Wright´s AMAZING, although quite scary book on scientology, and thought it would be cool to share. It´s one of those books that get stuck inside your brain even days after you finish. I got through the 500+ pages in just under a week, and am still quite impressed by it. It´s amazing how religions like that still survive in the 21st century - and I´m not questioning their beliefs, just the fact that they imprison people, make them do exhaustive chores and pay as little as $15/week, and persecute those who escape their inner circles and decide to leave the church. Has anyone else read this one?

This topic actually belongs in the Sense O'clock section of the board. Do you have access to that part of the board?

This topic actually belongs in the Sense O'clock section of the board. Do you have access to that part of the board?

Actually, you should relax. Can you access relaxation?

We'll see where this goes. If people can keep their comments about what they thought of the book itself and not inject their own religious beliefs or non-beliefs into it, it can stay out here.

• Like 1

I never even noticed there was a section called Sense O'clock!!! I´ll apply for access anyway, but maybe we could discuss just the book here? :huh: .

Sense O'clock News is a place where we discuss sensitive political issues. We could use your point of view to liven things up! :cheers:

Oh...I read the book last year. Pretty interesting read, especially the bits about celebrities and their involvement. Read it and you'll never think of soup cans the same way. Edited by goose

Oh...I read the book last year. Pretty interesting read, especially the bits about celebrities and their involvement. Read it and you'll never think of soup cans the same way.

I know soup cans as containers and telephones. There's another use?

Oh...I read the book last year. Pretty interesting read, especially the bits about celebrities and their involvement. Read it and you'll never think of soup cans the same way.

I know soup cans as containers and telephones. There's another use?

I think of Andy Warhol.

Ain't that a bit harsh? He was probably just trying to help :huh:

Ain't that a bit harsh? He was probably just trying to help :huh:

No, not harsh at all. He thought this molehill of a topic was a mountain too contoversial to exist anywhere but SOCN. That's not being helpful.

I actually did a few courses (relatively affordable ones) at a Dianetics/Scientology center in my early 20's. It starts off benign enough. Interesting, and some useful things. At least for a young person looking to understand more about themselves, without a great deal of life experience.

And then comes the high pressure and the weirdness. That was enough for me. And review some of things on the web clinched it. I never went back, and escaped unscathed, if minus some $$$.

Well, except for the fact getting off their mailing list takes some real work. You can even tell them that you despise their church, and it doesn't stop!

My one brush with a cult. All part of life's rich tapestry-?

• Like 1