Rush songs you used to,skip, but now enjoy

WavesandWindows

Nobody's Hero. For years couldn't get past Geddy Lee saying "sex-u-al-it-y"; once I did I discovered a very strong track.

Skipped Red Lenses for like 25 years.

Then in 2009 (I started a thread about it) I decided to give it another shot. It's now one of my P/G favorites - and that's saying a lot because I love that album.

-Mystic Rhythms. DIdn't get it when I was younger, thought it was boring. Love it now, with its many layers. Great tune.

I lost my virginity, with my first serious boyfriend, to Mystic Rhythms. We had it on repeat. I know, I know, cheesy and probably TMI. But I still love the song.

Hold Your Fire and Presto. I skipped them for nearly 30 years.... Edited by Narpski
  • Like 2

I used to skip Closer To The Heart. Just yesterday when I was listening to a bootleg, I decided to listen to it. I'm glad that I did. It really is a good song.

Others I used to skip and no longer do would include many of the songs on S&A that I used to not like but now do.

• Like 2

Yeah i skipped heresy for a good couple years after album release but love it now, one of very few rush tracks i enjoy purely for relaxation almost like a folk song. Another one is workin them angels, which i hated with a passion at first, but although doesnt hit same levels as heresy i really enjoy these days.

i always skipped Turn The Page until someone told me to try it again. i also used to skip Everyday Glory, i don't love it but i can listen to the full song.
  • Like 2

To the posters above on mystic rhythms, i find it hard to play that track these days due to the sheer number of times i hardwired that thing into my brain in the 90s. Did a lot of hash in those days and mystic rhythms was almost a religious experience for me. Like freakin awesome. Maybe the single most powerful thing the guys ever produced imo.

Really should give it a play sometime for old times sake.

• Like 1

Red Lenses

Between The Wheels

All of Vapor Trails

Chemistry

Digital Man

Hemispheres (song)

Spindrift

Pretty much the entire Presto album. At the time, I bought it and went to a couple of shows on the tour, but I just didn't get the album. Over the years, though, it has grown on me and a few songs (but definitely not Superconductor), in particular, have made my regular playlist.

I used to skip Camera Eye and T4E all the time, in fact, I thought T4E was ridiculous but I really enjoy it now. Grand Designs also. Love that song now.
  • Like 1

Cygnus X-1. WTF was I thinking?

I'm sure I don't know. :|

It happens to the best of us.

Yeah and it's funny how songs can grow on you. Ones that you never listened to before suddenly are one of your favorites. There's quite a few songs that I would skip because of the intro, but you never know with Rush songs. They can change completely in a matter of seconds.

• Like 2

Yeah and it's funny how songs can grow on you. Ones that you never listened to before suddenly are one of your favorites. There's quite a few songs that I would skip because of the intro, but you never know with Rush songs. They can change completely in a matter of seconds.

I'm so glad you said that because I have done the same thing. That's why I always skipped The Analog Kid - I didn't like the intro. And you are also right about Rush songs changing completely in a matter of seconds.

I'm so glad you said that because I have done the same thing. That's why I always skipped The Analog Kid - I didn't like the intro. And you are also right about Rush songs changing completely in a matter of seconds.

One song that jumps to mind right away is Faithless. It's one of my favorite songs off of S&N's but I used to skip it because I didn't like the intro. But it's nothing like the chorus which I really like. I think this is one of the reasons sometimes it can take a lot of repeated listens (or partial listens) before all of the sudden a song will click with you.