Powerful Rush moment the morning my father died a week ago

BloodofTheZodiac

Man, I about busted out crying reading that. My mother is going through chemo, right now, and this is the third time she has had cancer. I don't know if the chemo will ever end. Cancer is such a horrible disease. I remember when my mother's sister and her sister's husband got cancer and how it reduced them to nothing. My mom has lasted 100x longer than they did.

It sounds like you had some great times with your dad. That's cool. Those memories will help you along, hopefully. I hope your dad rests in peace, and sorry for your loss, man. That is the most awful way to go.

• Like 2

Sorry for your loss. I lost my mom couple of years ago and it was the hardest thing I've had to go through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and if it's any consolation, the pain does get better.
  • Like 2

Hey brother, so sorry to hear about your dad. My father had a heart attack and needed bypass surgery. The timing of this was right around the time your dad was diagnosed. My father is still with us today, but he's a different man now. He's a little slower and has lost a lot of weight. He used to look like a giant to me when I was a kid, and now he needs my help (which I gladly give). But it's been tough - I can relate to what you went through. I wish you and your family nothing but positivity and happy days ahead. Your dad would want that for all you. If you ever need an ear PM me. Be well.
  • Like 1

Thanks again everyone!!

If anyone is wondering...my father stopped smoking 2 years before I was born, so it's been 30 years that he has not had a smoke. The biggest cause of bladder cancer is irritation. What causes irritation of the bladder the most is caffeine. He was NEVER a coffee drinker. He said he had a few cups in his teens, but never liked it and never had coffee since. He did enjoy his whiskey though and always mixed with Pepsi or Coca-Cola. I don't believe that was a contributing factor to what causes the cancer though.

What I believe caused it was when he worked in the mines. He worked at Denison Mines in my hometown of Elliot Lake, Ontario. He worked there from 1980 until it got shut down in 1992. There's articles on the internet about how many men close to my dad's age have died from cancer 20 to 30 years after they stopped working there, going back to the 70's. That mine opened in 1957(my dad's birth year). It just seems very likely that my father was one of the victims of the radiation from the Uranium. Elliot Lake was at one time the Uranium capital of the world.

Thanks again everyone!!

If anyone is wondering...my father stopped smoking 2 years before I was born, so it's been 30 years that he has not had a smoke. The biggest cause of bladder cancer is irritation. What causes irritation of the bladder the most is caffeine. He was NEVER a coffee drinker. He said he had a few cups in his teens, but never liked it and never had coffee since. He did enjoy his whiskey though and always mixed with Pepsi or Coca-Cola. I don't believe that was a contributing factor to what causes the cancer though.

What I believe caused it was when he worked in the mines. He worked at Denison Mines in my hometown of Elliot Lake, Ontario. He worked there from 1980 until it got shut down in 1992. There's articles on the internet about how many men close to my dad's age have died from cancer 20 to 30 years after they stopped working there, going back to the 70's. That mine opened in 1957(my dad's birth year). It just seems very likely that my father was one of the victims of the radiation from the Uranium. Elliot Lake was at one time the Uranium capital of the world.

I am so sorry for your loss, I lost my dad over 20 years ago to a fast moving cancer and I know how hard it is to see them fade away right before your eyes. I know my father had some exposure to toxic chemicals in his work as well and I believe it contributed to his death too.

Knowing this may help somewhat but doesn't ease the pain much. Like others said, it does get better with time. Keep leaning on those you love to make it through. Those Rush songs will come to mean so much to you as time goes on. Take care of yourself, God bless :rose: :hug2:

• Like 1

I can't imagine what you're going through, but I feel blessed that you decided to share this story, and fortunate that I got to read it.

There's a crazy amount of love in your family, and that's what will help you through this the most.

• Like 1

I lost my parents when I was young but I always have a hard time saying "I know what you're going through" because everyone is different. all I can say is be strong and hold on to all the good memories..

this is a good place to vent or share.. there's a lot of considerate people on here with much life experience and kind advice to share..

I wish you the best.. :rose:

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss. You said the two of you enjoyed going to concerts together, did you go to many Rush concerts together?

RushBoingo...unfortunately I didn't ever get to see Rush with my dad. During the last 10 years, he would only go to a concert if it was on a weekend. He was a been there, done that kind of guy. I bought 2 tickets to Kiss because I knew I had a couple options who would buy the ticket. A guy from my work who loves Kiss, a buddy who likes them, or my dad. I told him on Father's Day that the ticket is his for free if he was better and had energy to go by the day of the show. I had a feeling it could be the last show he will ever attend. I really wanted to bring him to see the Eagles when they came here 2 weeks ago, but he wouldn't have been able to come anyways. He saw Rush 3 times. A Farewell To Kings, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures tours.

WOW! thanks for sharing all this, reality allways overcome fiction, this is what life is made of, this is the real purpose of a song, to come along with us, in good and not so good times, and to stay with us, deep in our hearts, you will see, that your father stays with you, just as deep as in life, he remain, current, present and eternally with you.

I am so sorry for your loss. My father passed away of brain cancer in May, I know what you're going through. We, too, shared a powerful connection with "The Garden". It is amazing what music can do. Again, my condolences to you and your family.

Very sorry to hear of your loss. Your story did bring tears to my eyes also. I too, spent days sitting with my mom for days before she passed. I also played music for her after she was unable to talk. I believe, as hard as it is for us that remain, it's very precious for those who are leaving to have us with them when they pass. I believe my mom knew I was there, and I'm sure your dad knew you were there too. An incredibly painful example of your love for him. My condolences are with you.