The Rolling Stones album poll: Which is your favorite? Which is your number 2?

treeduck

Rolling Stone albums: your best and your second best  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite Rolling Stones (proper) studio album?

• The Rolling Stones (1964, UK) / England's Newest Hit Makers (1964, US)
    • The Rolling Stones No. 2 (1965, UK) / 12 X 5 (1964, US)
    • The Rolling Stones, Now! (1965, US)
    • Out of Our Heads (1965, UK) / Out of Our Heads (1965, US)
    • December's Children (And Everybody's) (1965, US)
    • Aftermath (1966, UK) / Aftermath (1966, US)
    • Between the Buttons (1967, UK) / Between the Buttons (1967, US)
    • Their Satanic Majesties Request (1967)
    • Beggars Banquet (1968)
    • Let It Bleed (1969)
    • Sticky Fingers (1971)
    • Exile on Main St. (1972)
    • Goats Head Soup (1973)
    • It's Only Rock 'n Roll (1974)
    • Black and Blue (1976)
    • Some Girls (1978)
    • Emotional Rescue (1980)
    • Tattoo You (1981)
    • Undercover (1983)
    • Dirty Work (1986)
    • Steel Wheels (1989)
    • Voodoo Lounge (1994)
    • Bridges to Babylon (1997)
    • A Bigger Bang (2005)
    • NONE AT ALL, they suck!
    • I can't choose, so I can't vote for any of the albums
    • They'e not METAL enough for me and Keith sucks!
    • I'm just a casual fan, so I have no idea
    • They've been old since about 1981, I vote OLD MEN WILL BE DEAD MEN
    • I prefer the Who and the Beatles, I like three or four Stones albums doesn't matter which...
    • I live for Mick, every day I think of him!
    • I live to play like Keith, he's the best guitarist in the universe, plus I have no guitar skills
    • I try to play like Keith, I think we match up well, except I'm not good enough, my name is Lonestar Boogie btw, that's my real TRF name!
    • Pleased to eat you hope you guess my aim?
    • Mick looks like tarzan, acts like Jane!
    • Keith looks like cheetah plays like Jane
    • Bill Wyman f*cks Jane (if she's 13)
    • Charlie Watts f*cks Cheetah
    • Ronnie Wood looks like Rod Stewart, plays like Martha Stewart
    • I was born on a 747 jet plane, I was born in the f***ing lion's mane, I was born... I was born... I was born... I was born...
  2. 2. What is your second favourite Rolling Stones (proper) studio album?

• Beggars Banquet (1968)
    • Let It Bleed (1969)
    • Sticky Fingers (1971)
    • Goats Head Soup (1973)
    • Black and Blue (1976)
    • Some Girls (1978)
    • Tattoo You (1981)
    • Undercover (1983)
    • Dirty Work (1986)
    • Steel Wheels (1989)
    • Voodoo Lounge (1994)
    • A Bigger Bang (2005)
    • I was born in a cross-fire hurricane
    • Mick is a dick
    • Keith is a fumbling old fool
    • Charlie is a corpse
    • The Stones are GODS!
    • Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name, oh yeah
    • I'm no schoolboy but I know what I like, you should have heard me just around midnight.
    • I was born in tarzan's jungle with Jane
    • I was born in the temple with Kwai Chang Caine
    • I was born in a stinking rat-filled drain!
    • I was born...I was born...I was born...I was born...I was born...I was born...I was born...I was born
    • should have seen babycat just around midnight...she was born...
    • babycat was born in an awesome cat's dead brain!
    • pleased to meet you hope you guess babycat's name!
    • I was born...I was born...I was born...I was born...
    • babycat was born...she was born...she was born...
  3. 3. What is your 3rd best Rolling Stones album?

• Beggars Banquet (1968)
    • Let It Bleed (1969)
    • Sticky Fingers (1971)
    • Goats Head Soup (1973)
    • Black and Blue (1976)
    • Some Girls (1978)
    • Tattoo You (1981)
    • Undercover (1983)
    • Dirty Work (1986)
    • Steel Wheels (1989)
    • Voodoo Lounge (1994)
    • A Bigger Bang (2005)
    • Keith was born with broken fingers and he plays like it!
    • Mick was born on a broken window pane
    • Keith is the best guitarist on the planet and always was!
    • I was born in Rolling Stones member's member!
    • The Stones were ancient in 1979
    • sweaty old wrinklies should be pensioned off
    • The Rolling Stones are the crypt keeper allstar band!
    • Charlie Watts is a fossil
    • Keith was born in the year 1869!!
    • The Rolling Stones are responsible for creating Aerosmith!!
    • am I hard enough am I rough enough am I rich enough I'm not too blind to see
    • Just had a horsemeat pie
    • Keith is a brain dead guitar butcher!
    • Bill Wyman was the smartest of the Stones!
    • Rushgoober was born in a vapor trail hurricane!
    • Mick Jagger always wanted to become a woman but he didn't have the stones for it...

1. Let It Bleed

2. Sticky Fingers

3. Their Satanic Majesties Request

The big problem with the Stones is they could never make an album consisting solely of great songs without any filler or weaker material.

Really, though, their best album BY FAR is a compilation, even though some of the songs hadn't been released before. This album is phenomenal - one of my faves of all time... it's just not technically a studio album of original material:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/64/FlowersLP.jpg

Also a compilation, but really this is the only other album everyone NEEDS to own:

http://images.cryhavok.org/d/10383-2/Rolling+Stones+-+Hot+Rocks+_1964-1971_.jpg

Yep, those two albums are the essentials - I know it's not cool to be really into compilations and best of's, but these ones are f*cking killer! :yes: :haz:

Edited by rushgoober

I mean some girls isn't a bad record but I pretty much lose interest in this band after exile...oh well, opinions

What about Goats Head and It's Only Rock n Roll?

those are just okay to me too, everything after exile is just alright for me. some great songs throughout their career but I can't listen to anything after exile from start to finish

1. Let It Bleed

2. Sticky Fingers

The big problem with the Stones is they could never make an album consisting solely of great songs without any filler or weaker material.

Really, though, their best album BY FAR is a compilation, even though some of the songs hadn't been released before. This album is phenomenal - one of my faves of all time... it's just not technically a studio album of original material:

Also a compilation, but really this is the only other album everyone NEEDS to own:

Yep, those two albums are the essentials - I know it's not cool to be really into compilations and best of's, but these ones are f*cking killer! :yes: :haz:

as much as I like their 60s and early 70s stuff, I'm tempted to call them a singles band. I can listen to a few of their albums from start to finish, but most of them have at least a couple of tunes I'll skip

interesting choice with satanic majesties, that album's not bad but always struck me as trying to cash in on the sgt pepper/psychedelic craze

1. Let It Bleed

2. Sticky Fingers

as much as I like their 60s and early 70s stuff, I'm tempted to call them a singles band. I can listen to a few of their albums from start to finish, but most of them have at least a couple of tunes I'll skip

interesting choice with satanic majesties, that album's not bad but always struck me as trying to cash in on the sgt pepper/psychedelic craze

i agree, they were absolutely cashing in on sgt. peppers and joining in on the bandwagon. that said, it's a pretty decent psychedelic album. a lot of hardcore psych fans LOVE it - i don't feel that strongly about it, but it is a consistent album, which is more than i can say about most of their albums...

I know I must sound like a right moaning minnie about The Stones .

Travelled all the way to London(They mus`nt had heard of the North in those days , maybe they heard tales about the White Walkers and Direwolves ) to see them in 1982 at Wembley( I did think they were a bit past it then) , so I do have a bit of love for the old buggers

But .

I think Exile is a crap album .

How the hell it ends up in top Best albums of all time lists is beyond me .

I just don`t like it .

Tried many many times to even get past the first track , but it is drab . :finbar:

What a bout this new compilation?

http://wwwrollingstones.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/files/2012/09/12186694-600x600.jpg

Disc one

"Come On" (Chuck Berry)

"Not Fade Away" (Charles Hardin/Norman Petty)

"It's All Over Now" (Bobby Womack/Shirley Jean Womack)

"Little Red Rooster" (Willie Dixon)

"The Last Time"

"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"

"Time Is on My Side" (Jerry Ragovoy)

"Get Off of My Cloud"

"Heart of Stone"

"19th Nervous Breakdown"

"As Tears Go By" (Jagger/Richards/Andrew Loog Oldham)

"Paint It, Black"

"Under My Thumb"

"Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?"

"Ruby Tuesday"

"Let's Spend the Night Together"

"We Love You"

Disc two

"Jumpin' Jack Flash"

"Honky Tonk Women"

"Sympathy for the Devil"

"You Can't Always Get What You Want"

"Gimme Shelter"

"Street Fighting Man"

"Wild Horses"

"She's a Rainbow"

"Brown Sugar"

"Happy"

"Tumbling Dice"

"Angie"

"Rocks Off"

"Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)"

"It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)"

"Fool to Cry"

Disc three

"Miss You"

"Respectable"

"Beast of Burden"

"Emotional Rescue"

"Start Me Up"

"Waiting on a Friend"

"Undercover of the Night"

"She Was Hot"

"Streets of Love"

"Harlem Shuffle" (Earnest Nelson/Robert Relf)

"Mixed Emotions"

"Highwire"

"Love Is Strong"

"Anybody Seen My Baby?" (Jagger/Richards/k.d. lang/Ben Mink)

"Don't Stop"

"Doom and Gloom"

"One More Shot"

One of the longest-running partnerships in rock'n'roll took a turn for the worse yesterday as Keith Richards launched a stinging attack on Mick Jagger - hitting him where it really hurts.

The Rolling Stones guitarist mocks the size of the singer's manhood, a subject over which the pair fell out in 2005.

And he claims he hasn't stepped into Mick's dressing room for 20 years. In a new autobiography, Life, Keith writes: "Marianne Faithfull had no fun with his tiny todger.

"I know he's got an enormous pair of balls - but it doesn't quite fill the gap."

Hellraiser Keith, 66, was forced to apologise five years ago after making similar comments in an interview.

But he appears determined to wind up Mick again, revealing his nickname for him is "Your Majesty" or "Brenda". He also says he refers to him as "that bitch Brenda" in front of him.

Keith says his songwriting partner "started to become unbearable" in the early 80s, adding: "I think Mick thinks I belong to him but I haven't been to his dressing room in 20 years.

"Sometimes I think, 'I miss my friend'. I wonder, 'Where did he go'?" Keith also claims Mick was jealous of him having other male friends.

"Maybe his exclusivity is bound up with his own siege mentality. Or maybe he thinks he's trying to protect me - 'What does that a**hole want from Keith'? But honestly, I can't put my finger on it.

"I love the man dearly - I'm still his mate - but he makes it very difficult to be his friend."

In the book, for which he was paid an advance of £4.8million, Keith debunks some of the Stones myths. He denies that when police raided Redlands, his Sussex estate, in 1967, they found Marianne Faithfull using a Mars bar as a sex aid. He had simply left it on a coffee table as a snack for when he got the munchies.

In one moving passage, Keith reveals he wrote Gimme Shelter while gazing out of a window on a stormy evening waiting for his girlfriend, Anita Pallenberg - who he assumed was with Mick - to come home. She never did.

Keith also slammed Mick's fourth solo album, 2001's Goddess in the Doorway, referring to it as Dogs**t on the Doorstep. "It's like Mein Kampf," he says. "Everyone had it but no one read it."

But Keith also warmly recalls a letter he sent his aunt in 1961, which says: "This morning on Dartford station a guy I knew at primary school came up to me. He's got every record Chuck Berry ever made. He is called Mick Jagger."

Of his hard partying, he says he gave up heroin in 1978 after being arrested five times and stopped taking cocaine in 2006 after he fell from a tree and had to have brain surgery.

Keith also claims he has given up all drugs but adds: "I'm just waiting for them to invent something more interesting. I'm all ready to roadtest it."

He also revealed the secret to his longevity - by taking only "high quality drugs", adding: "I'd never put more in to get a little higher. That's where most people f*** up. It's the greed involved that never really affected me.

"People think once they've got this high, if they take some more they're going to get a little higher.

"There's no such thing. Especially with cocaine. Maybe that's a measure of control and I'm rare in that respect.

Maybe there I have an advantage." Talking of his enduring image as "the Human Laboratory", Keith says: "I think your persona, your image, as it used to be known, is like a ball and chain.

"People think I'm still a goddamn junkie. It's 30 years since I gave up the dope! Image is like a long shadow. Even when the sun goes down, you can see it. But it's no exaggeration that I was basically living like an outlaw."

Keith reveals that Johnny Depp was also a frequent visitor to his home for two years before the penny dropped that he was the Hollywood superstar.

In fact Keith had thought he was a drug dealer friend of his son Marlon.

"It took me two years before I realised who he was. He was just one of my son Marlon's mates, hanging around the house playing guitar.

"I never ask Marlon's mates who they are because, you know, 'I'm a dope dealer'.

"Then one day I was at dinner and I'm like, 'Woah, Scissorhands'!" Johnny, of course, went on to credit Keith as the inspiration for his character Jack Sparrow in the Pirates Of The Caribbean films - in the third of which Keith played Sparrow's father.

He also remembers John Lennon as "a silly sod, in many ways". He says: "I don't think John ever left my house, except horizontally."

He adds that he once found him lying by the toilet, murmuring: "Don't move me - these tiles are beautiful."

In another acerbic put-down, he dismisses the Stones' original leader, the late Brian Jones, as a "wife beater".

Keith also has no desire to retire.

"People say, 'Why don't you give it up'? "I can't retire until I croak. I don't think they quite understand what I get out of this. I'm not doing it just for the money or for you. I'm doing it for me."

:LOL:

Travelled all the way to London(They mus`nt had heard of the North in those days , maybe they heard tales about the White Walkers and Direwolves ) to see them in 1982 at Wembley( I did think they were a bit past it then) , so I do have a bit of love for the old buggers

But .

I just don`t like it .

Tried many many times to even get past the first track , but it is drab . :finbar:

almost liked your post for the white walker/direwolves reference but then I saw the rest of it

I will say that I don't think exile is a particularly consistent album, but its overall vibe (which is different from any other stones record) and feel are why it's so highly regarded I think.

But .

I just don`t like it .

almost liked your post for the white walker/direwolves reference but then I saw the rest of it

I will say that I don't think exile is a particularly consistent album, but its overall vibe (which is different from any other stones record) and feel are why it's so highly regarded I think.

I should have stopped at Direwolves then bathroy . :LOL: .

Y`know what I will give it another go .

As I said . I do like The Stones ......Honest .

Just a thought .

The Stones were critical about their performance on The Rock N Roll Circus they did`nt release it for decades .

I hope they feel the same about Glastonbury . :unsure:

This may sound funny or like a contradiction...

... but I think that in spite of how famous, iconic and popular they might be they are, in some ways, still very much under rated musically.

I get what you're saying. They play American R&B and Blues as good as the originators. They mastered the masters, echoed their contemporaries and raised the bar. With that said, I think they've been on autopilot since Some Girls.

• Like 2

... but I think that in spite of how famous, iconic and popular they might be they are, in some ways, still very much under rated musically.

I get what you're saying. They play American R&B and Blues as good as the originators. They mastered the masters, echoed their contemporaries and raised the bar. With that said, I think they've been on autopilot since Some Girls.

I couldn't have said it any better or agree with you more.

Some Girls happens to be my favourite Stones album and agree that they've never been able to top or match it in the 35 years since it was released.

Some Girls happens to be my favourite Stones album and agree that they've never been able to top or match it in the 35 years since it was released.

What about Tattoo You?

What about Tattoo You?

Tattoo You is an album patched together from earlier outtakes. I like it, but it's not among my personal favorite Stones' albums. And "Start Me Up" is incredibly overrated.

What about Tattoo You?

Tattoo You is an album patched together from earlier outtakes. I like it, but it's not among my personal favorite Stones' albums. And "Start Me Up" is incredibly overrated.

C'mon, I KNOW every time you hear the opening chords to "Start Me Up" your neck starts the funky chicken and then you attempt a series of weirdly effeminate macho steps that includes some very lurid hip moves... :banana: :guitar:

What about Tattoo You?

C'mon, I KNOW every time you hear the opening chords to "Start Me Up" your neck starts the funky chicken and then you attempt a series of weirdly effeminate macho steps that includes some very lurid hip moves... :banana: :guitar:

You don't have to project you're private little games on me. Be secure in yourself. Though my rooster dance is a big hit at parties.

What about Tattoo You?

Tattoo You is in my top ten of all of the Stones albums.

"Waiting on a Friend", "Little T&A", "Hang Fire", "Worried About Yoiu" are all just great, great songs.