Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Freedom_Fighter

do you guys think this movie'll be any good? I can't flippin wait to see it, i think it looks great.

I am personally NOT fan of the old Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory movie. i just thought it was so bizarre, and those flippin Oompa Loompas creeped me out. i hated that song they always sing.

however, despite the fact that it is probably equally or MORE bizarre, i really think this new one looks much MUCH better than the old one. the oompa loompahs don't look as disturbing lol, and it looks really funny, mainly cuz of Johnny Depp. he cracks me up in the commercials, he's just gotta be hilarious in this movie. i love in the commercial where the little girl hugs him and tells him what her name is, and he looks at her all smiley and stuff and is just like "I don't care" lmao.

so who else wants to see this?

Edited by Freedom_Fighter

I am really looking forward to this one.

The teaming up of Johnny Depp and Tim Burton has always been a great one - one of the world's best, and oddest, actors working with the world's oddest director (along with Terry Gilliam of course) worked so well in Sleepy Hollow.

As soon as I heard TB was going to do the new version of Charlie, I immediately said JD for WW.

^^ Nice red arrows avatar Slaine.....didn't by any chance go to see them this weekend did you? laugh.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jul 5 2005, 06:27 PM)
^^ Nice red arrows avatar Slaine.....didn't by any chance go to see them this weekend did you? laugh.gif

What gives you that idea?

Hopefully, Ill be seeing them again later this year at the York Air Show

I'll see this but I have reservations. I personally loved the old one and not sure it needed to be "remade" (What happens when all the good movies have already been remade? Remake the remakes?)

I'm also a bit leery of Johnny Depp in this role. I love the guy - but this just doesn't seem like a good fit for him. He just looks darn creepy in the previews.

I could be wrong - hope I am wrong actually.

cool.gif

Schro

One of the main reasons why a remake was needed could have soemthing to do with how much Roald Dahl loathed the Gene Wilder version for being saccharine coated mush.

According to people who have read the book (alas, I haven't), the original film version wasn't nearly dark enough and the songs were so sickly (Cheer Up Charlie, anyone?) that they were more likely to rot your teeth than the chocolate bars the films was produced to promote.

yea the JD/TB thing is awesome. they work well together. did you know there's even another movie coming out by TB with JD in it? i can't remember what it's called, but it's gonna be a movie with like the same animation as "The Nightmare Before Christmas". that looks good too.

i'm looking forward to this movie. i'm a tim burton fan...

my kids are in a summer long drama club/class thing... 4th year doing it and every year they pick some kind of play/movie/story to do...

this year, it's Charlie and The CHocolate Facotory...

my 14 yr old is Varuca Salt...

this is going to be awesome!!

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Jul 5 2005, 07:16 PM)
yea the JD/TB thing is awesome. they work well together. did you know there's even another movie coming out by TB with JD in it? i can't remember what it's called, but it's gonna be a movie with like the same animation as "The Nightmare Before Christmas". that looks good too.

The Corpse Bride.

Oh and btw.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2620&st=0

Make friends with the user posted image button.

Edited by kazzman

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Jul 5 2005, 09:36 PM)
holy crap dude that flippin topic was started back in december. i think it's old enough for there to be a new one, don't you?

no.gif

There's active topics on the board that were started back in September. Does that mean there should be a new one?

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jul 6 2005, 04:11 AM)
The story line of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory symbolized a drug dealer and druggies... >_>

<_<

*Runs*

Isn't that the Quentin Tarantine version with added m***a-f***a count?

this movie will have to have out of this world reviews for me to see it. most every tim burton movie i've ever seen i hated - i know he's popular, but the's my least favorite director. also, if ever a movie didn't need to be redone, it was this one...IMHO naturally... ph34r.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 6 2005, 04:14 PM)
this movie will have to have out of this world reviews for me to see it.  most every tim burton movie i've ever seen i hated - i know he's popular, but the's my least favorite director.  also, if ever a movie didn't need to be redone, it was this one...IMHO naturally... ph34r.gif

Your opinions a good one..cause I agree with ya wink.gif

I saw a preview for this over the weekend & it looks just too wierd. For me they just went overboard to make it as strange for strangeness' sake.

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Jul 8 2005, 02:56 PM)
Will we be able to synch 2112 to this version, too?

laugh.gif That's a good question!

I have heard of this synch but yet to try it....trying to find a copy of it already done like I have with Dark Side of the Rainbow (Floyd with Wizard of Oz) and 2001 Space Oddysey(the final section) with Floyd's Echoes...

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 8 2005, 03:00 PM)

I have heard of this synch but yet to try it....trying to find a copy of it already done like I have with Dark Side of the Rainbow (Floyd with Wizard of Oz) and 2001 Space Oddysey(the final section) with Floyd's Echoes...

Is this what you're talking about?

http://home.i1.net/~bytor/WW2112.html

QUOTE (physics23 @ Jul 12 2005, 08:34 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 8 2005, 03:00 PM)

Is this what you're talking about?

http://home.i1.net/~bytor/WW2112.html

Yep that's the one yes.gif

Well, we went out and saw it tonight, and both really enjoyed it. Johnny Depp was great in it. It was long ago when I read the book, and I never saw the first version with Gene Wilder. (Obviously I'll have to do that, and synch 2112 with it, of course.) By all means, go see it. It was certainly a lot of fun. By the way, Grandpa Joe looks kind of like Alan Greenspan, the Federal Reserve Chairman. It was kind of strange having scenes that appeared to take place in the 20s and 30s, but then they showed modern Tokyo and a subdivision outside of Atlanta. The scenes on the whole did work out, but the contrasts were interesting. I'll say no more, for fear of giving anything away.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jul 16 2005, 12:04 AM)
Well, we went out and saw it tonight, and both really enjoyed it. Johnny Depp was great in it. It was long ago when I read the book, and I never saw the first version with Gene Wilder. (Obviously I'll have to do that, and synch 2112 with it, of course.) By all means, go see it. It was certainly a lot of fun. By the way, Grandpa Joe looks kind of like Alan Greenspan, the Federal Reserve Chairman. It was kind of strange having scenes that appeared to take place in the 20s and 30s, but then they showed modern Tokyo and a subdivision outside of Atlanta. The scenes on the whole did work out, but the contrasts were interesting. I'll say no more, for fear of giving anything away.

Wow, you may be the first person I have ever known who has not seen the first version. Honestly, I thought this movie was a rite of passage for everybody.

Glad you liked the Tim Burton production. I will go see it, although I must admit that I will feel a certain sense of sacrilege because I consider the Gene Wilder version to be one of the best and most rewatchable movies ever made. Kind of like It's a Wonderful Life. I always watch it in it's entirety whenever it is on the tube. I simply find myself unable to tear myself away.

Maybe let us know how you think they compare since you will be the first adult I have ever known who has yet to see the first.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Jul 16 2005, 02:23 AM)
[Wow, you may be the first person I have ever known who has not seen the first version. Honestly, I thought this movie was a rite of passage for everybody.

Hey, it happens. Everybody has a movie they haven't seen, one that elicits the "You havent seen that?" remark. My wife said the same thing about CATCF, though.

By the way, didn't Roald Dahl write a sequel to this book called The Glass Elevator? Anybody read it? My all time favorite Dahl book was James and the Giant Peach. I must have read that book 20 times when I was a kid.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jul 16 2005, 11:26 PM)
QUOTE (war2112 @ Jul 16 2005, 02:23 AM)
[Wow, you may be the first person I have ever known who has not seen the first version. Honestly, I thought this movie was a rite of passage for everybody.

Hey, it happens. Everybody has a movie they haven't seen, one that elicits the "You havent seen that?" remark. My wife said the same thing about CATCF, though.

By the way, didn't Roald Dahl write a sequel to this book called The Glass Elevator? Anybody read it? My all time favorite Dahl book was James and the Giant Peach. I must have read that book 20 times when I was a kid.

it's funny that you mention that book because i was going to post about that yesterday...

yes, the glass elevator is the sequel to CATCF, but it has been many many many years since i read that book...

seems to me i have to pick it up again and re-read it...

because i'm thinking it may be a good sequel to this movie if done right....

who knows.... glad you liked the movie... my 14 yr old is seeing it today at IMAX.... i'm going to wait a couple of weeks cuz it is selling out at theaters everywhere.......

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jul 7 2005, 02:33 PM)
I saw a preview for this over the weekend & it looks just too wierd. For me they just went overboard to make it as strange for strangeness' sake.

I agree with you there DM. I won't be seeing this one anytime soon... no.gif