Saratoga...what happened guys?

Who has a bathroom break in the middle of a Rush show?!?

LOL

I 'spose someone that's had one too many beers, eh.

Otherwise, let's not forget it's an aging post-50 crowd to a large extent. LOL

At least I'm glad that they don't have Depends for sale at the concessions.

:facepalm:

Edited by Wingmaster

Don't think it is a Rush thing, it's actually the problem with society these days. I'm a Liverpool Football Club fan and these days people leave before the end of the match. Some events, there are empty seats even though the event is sold out, just look at Wimbledon and the recent London Olympics. In the 'old days' we didn't know the set list ahead of time and it was like Christmas especially when Subdivisions was added to The Trees. The atmosphere was electric for the encores because we didn't know what they would play. Now everyone knows everything and there are no surprises, and people head out early worrying about getting home ahead of the traffic.

It's just the way the world is now, unfortunately.

Yeah, it's one of the drawbacks of a much faster pace of the information age.

Call me nuts, but I much prefer the intermediary days where the internet was functional so that websites worked, but these days I think it's all over the top.

same case as at nashville. I really don't get why people who only wanna hear music before 1982 still shell out the big bucks for good seats when all they wanna hear is tom sawyer and spirit of radio.

Yeah, I've been going to concerts for over 20 years and that has never made sense to me. I know it's not always possible for everyone to know or like every song Rush plays live but if you aren't at least keeping up with what the band is currently doing then why buy a ticket? I understand back in the day when it only cost like $15 why you might go for the hell of it. But with prices now in the $70-$100 range it's just a waste of money to go only to hear a few of the big hits.

I saw them in Saratoga on the Time Machine tour and would've liked to have gone to this show. Unfortunately, with it being a four hour drive from me and the show happening on a Tuesday, I just wasn't able to do it this time. If they were able to have it on a Friday like last time, I would've been there.

I guess because a lot of rush fans are also fans of bands like aerosmith, AC/DC, styx, etc, who, for the most part, pretty much stick to the greatest hits in their sets. that's still no excuse though, you'd think they'd at least familiarize themselves with what the set's going to be. oh well, it's their loss I guess. I love clockwork angels, I love the synth era, and so far I've enjoyed these performances more than the time machine tour (which was my first rush gig).

Anyway, it would be a win for the band to somehow manuever having the best seats for the biggest fans, as these fans would give the boys back so much energy, which the boys would put into the show, and everyone would win. It would be nice if they could offer something like this through Rush.com or something.

Iron Maiden does this for their North American tours. They send out a special pre-sale code to fan club members a few days before the pre-sale begins. With that code they make available to you the general admission pit in front of the stage if the venue has one and all the reserved seats in the first section of the amphitheater. If it's an arena show, the floor is general admission and those are made available first in the pre-sale. They are the only band I know of that does these ticket "pre-sales" right and it works because I've done it before with them. They want the fans up front to be real dedicated fans who are into the show and that's usually what they get with this. Rush should think about using this kind of system since the diehards would have access to the good tickets right away. Maiden also does what's called "paperless tickets" at a lot of shows when it comes to the good seats. All you have to do is bring the card you purchased the tickets with to the venue and they print you out a "ticket" there. This eliminates scalpers getting the good seats and allows the real fans who want to pay the for the best seats in the house to get them.

yeah, maiden really seems to care a lot more about what their crowd is up to. I got the paperless ticket for the general admission pit in nashville in september, gonna be a f***ing killer show. same place I saw rush too.

I love Where's my Thing so glad I saw it live. Hubby and I groaned when Limelight started only because we saw the exact setlist for the other 2 shows we saw this tour and were hoping to see some other deep cuts.

hahaha, I'm with you, I am the only person in the whole goddamn arena to actually get disappointed when limelight started...nashville was my 2nd show on the tour and I still haven't had body electric or middletown!

and I really don't think it has anything to do with the information age or anything like that, since the majority of people I talk to at shows don't know the setlist beforehand, because these are people who have been going to shows since before the internet and they don't even know that you CAN look up the setlist. I remember at the time machine tour I said to my buddy "freewill's next" and someone around me went "really?" and I guess he thought I was a seer or something but no, I just looked up the setlist beforehand so I could familiarize myself with anything I hadn't heard.

it's not that people are less excited because they know the set. they're less excited because A. rush fans are pretty much old as hell (not trying to be rude, but you guys are getting up there) and even when a lot of you ARE excited, some of you are too old to physically express it, and more importantly, B. they're not playing the songs a lot of casual or old-school rush fans wanna hear. of course people were more excited at a show in 1981. younger people who didn't hear a single song they disliked. now those people are 30 years older and they might've quit listening to rush around signals or grace or power windows or whatever, and they still go to the shows to hear the classic tunes. a tour like the clockwork angels tour is gonna disappoint them. their fault, not rush's.

• Like 1

Is it just me, or has Rush started to favor "Limelight" over "The Body Electric?"

I think so, mainly to wake up the crowd. which sucks because I really wanted to hear the body electric because I think it's awesome, but the "fans" will only leave the beer line if something before 1982 is playing

• Like 1

Don't think it is a Rush thing, it's actually the problem with society these days. I'm a Liverpool Football Club fan and these days people leave before the end of the match. Some events, there are empty seats even though the event is sold out, just look at Wimbledon and the recent London Olympics. In the 'old days' we didn't know the set list ahead of time and it was like Christmas especially when Subdivisions was added to The Trees. The atmosphere was electric for the encores because we didn't know what they would play. Now everyone knows everything and there are no surprises, and people head out early worrying about getting home ahead of the traffic.

It's just the way the world is now, unfortunately.

That - and the increased chatter during the shows, the constant attention to cells and texts during songs, the general lack of an attention span even when there's a sound-and-light show unparalleled right in front of you.

Who has a bathroom break in the middle of a Rush show?!?

LOL

I 'spose someone that's had one too many beers, eh.

Otherwise, let's not forget it's an aging post-50 crowd to a large extent. LOL

At least I'm glad that they don't have Depends for sale at the concessions.

:facepalm:

Problem solved!

http://www.depend.com/images/products/10544.jpg

• Like 1

Wow you stole my thunder! I traveled 4+ hours from Buffalo to get to the show, and had a good time. The boys were Excellent, vocals great, plenty of energy, having fun etc. I was in section 20 which is in the corner of the balcony. I could see the boys well, but could not see the back big screen, nor the string ensemble.

I agree with you fully, where I was sitting, the crowd was super LAME! I didnt expect the balcony to stand for the whole show but I was suprised when they didnt stand for the opening song, the hits or the encores! Parts of the floor looked pretty lame too. I am telling you, you could not even get an applause out of some of these people. What fustrates me is this: Geddy, Alex, and Neil are all either 60 or about to be, yet they put on an incredibly demanding, long and quality show every other night, I really dont know how they do it. I am always in awe after leaving. To me it is almost disrespectful not to show some real appretiation for this, even if you dont love the setlist. Just watch Rush in Rio! They actually feed off the crowd energy!

I personally love Signals, GUP, and PoW, and think CA is one of the top 4 or 5 albums they have ever produced, and live is even better than studio. Dont people know this is the CLOCKWORK ANGELS TOUR?! Why wouldnt someone at least listen to the songs on youtube before shelling out the big bucks? I think the Causal fan that makes up most of the audience, wants them to be like Journey, REO, Foreigner, ZZ Top and all the other bands that play the hits over and over and over. Rush is not like that as they continue to evolve and be innovative and creative. They are not doing this just to collect a check, they want to please the Die hard fans, and themselves. People want to hear the songs played on the radio, I get that, but I do NOT understand why people were so dead at SPAC for songs like Headlong Flight, or Clockwork Angels, EPIC songs! These songs should theoretically please the 70s rush lovers as there is no synth, and the songs are so hard edged.

I sat most of the show out of consideration for the majority but rocked out, air drumming, tapping my feet and moving to the music. I also stood and cheered after most songs. I dont care that people sat in the balcony although I would rather have stood, but the general disintrest and unappreciative attitude was a downer, try as I did to not let it affect me. It sucks being so into a band and being forced to sit next to and around people who look like they are sitting at the waiting room waiting for a colonoscopy, or for the HIV test results to come back.

On the way out I heard people bitcn that they didnt play FLY BY NIGHT! Are you kidding me? Whens the last time they played that live? Others complaining about the new material and that it sucked! Were we watching the same show? Dont know why people spend good money if they are going to be miserable.

I think it could have to do with society in general though. Maybe not just Rush crowds. People dont seem to be too passionate about anything these days if it isnt stuffing their face with fast food. Sad

My solution? From now on If I am going to go the closest as possible where people seem to be more into it.. I was row 4 in Buffalo

• Like 1

I would have loved Body Electric even Middletown would have been fine. Limelight is fun to watch them play though. I am an old fan nearly 50 and still stand and rock out I figure if those guy at nearly 60 can rock on stage the least I can do is rock too.

I agree CA is in the top 3 for me.

I saw Fly by Night for the R30 tour I think

I would think it was great if they played all old different stuff set 1 and all new album stuff set 2

I would be fine if they never played TS or Spirit live again. But as previous said the could play Mary had a little lamb and I would be happy to see them live

Edited by hcm

Bugs me that people are so picky this close to the END of their career. There WILL be a last concert and it won't be 20 years from now.

I've learned to appreciate what I love...and they could perform ad jingles for three hours...it would still be my favorite Canadians up there performing it for me.

• Like 3

Bugs me that people are so picky this close to the END of their career. There WILL be a last concert and it won't be 20 years from now.

I've learned to appreciate what I love...and they could perform ad jingles for three hours...it would still be my favorite Canadians up there performing it for me.

Even Rush songs that I don't like I enjoy live, because I love to watch them play and love to hear and feel the devotion they put into the playing. It varies from night to night which songs come off the best, but they give their all to each and every one, and that's plenty enough for me :rush:

Yep. They could have taken the money and run a LOOOONG time ago - or just continued to make albums and do piddly little tours with just a few dates and outrageous ticket prices. They do it for US and they go ALL OUT. I can only imagine how their bodies feel after each show. I'm only in my 30s and I feel awful after anything that is remotely ambitious.

I just did the last three shows....hershey, jones beach and saratoga....

i thought the saratoga crowd was the loudest of the three....

but i was 5th row in front of alex....

yes, there are lots of people in the first 10 rows who could care less about rush....

they talk to each other, they drink beers, they leave for a while (that's nice) and they text, take pictures, shoot video,

it's very annoying....

Who knows how they got their tickets, or if they paid for them or got them as a freebie.....

you wish everyone there was hanging on every note.....sadly, not the case....but what can you do....

thankfully, there are still lots of fans who are going crazy and totally soaking in the band....

a lot of the first setlist is songs that I like very much, but they are not necessarily fist-pumping songs.....

grand designs, territories, force ten, the body electric are great rush songs, but not going to get the causual fan into a frenzy...

songs like limelight and analog kid get the crowd going a bit...i wish they would sprinkle in a few of my all time favs....xanadu, trees, natural science, freewill, hemispheres, you get the idea...

I don't want rush to play the oldies to be some sort of retread band, i just want them to play some of the all-time epics because this is my band and I love all of their catalog including the first six studio albums which they have basically abandonned in recent years....

• Like 1

Even Rush songs that I don't like I enjoy live, because I love to watch them play and love to hear and feel the devotion they put into the playing. It varies from night to night which songs come off the best, but they give their all to each and every one, and that's plenty enough for me :rush:

Wow you stole my thunder! I traveled 4+ hours from Buffalo to get to the show, and had a good time. The boys were Excellent, vocals great, plenty of energy, having fun etc. I was in section 20 which is in the corner of the balcony. I could see the boys well, but could not see the back big screen, nor the string ensemble.

I agree with you fully, where I was sitting, the crowd was super LAME! I didnt expect the balcony to stand for the whole show but I was suprised when they didnt stand for the opening song, the hits or the encores! Parts of the floor looked pretty lame too. I am telling you, you could not even get an applause out of some of these people. What fustrates me is this: Geddy, Alex, and Neil are all either 60 or about to be, yet they put on an incredibly demanding, long and quality show every other night, I really dont know how they do it. I am always in awe after leaving. To me it is almost disrespectful not to show some real appretiation for this, even if you dont love the setlist. Just watch Rush in Rio! They actually feed off the crowd energy!

I personally love Signals, GUP, and PoW, and think CA is one of the top 4 or 5 albums they have ever produced, and live is even better than studio. Dont people know this is the CLOCKWORK ANGELS TOUR?! Why wouldnt someone at least listen to the songs on youtube before shelling out the big bucks? I think the Causal fan that makes up most of the audience, wants them to be like Journey, REO, Foreigner, ZZ Top and all the other bands that play the hits over and over and over. Rush is not like that as they continue to evolve and be innovative and creative. They are not doing this just to collect a check, they want to please the Die hard fans, and themselves. People want to hear the songs played on the radio, I get that, but I do NOT understand why people were so dead at SPAC for songs like Headlong Flight, or Clockwork Angels, EPIC songs! These songs should theoretically please the 70s rush lovers as there is no synth, and the songs are so hard edged.

I sat most of the show out of consideration for the majority but rocked out, air drumming, tapping my feet and moving to the music. I also stood and cheered after most songs. I dont care that people sat in the balcony although I would rather have stood, but the general disintrest and unappreciative attitude was a downer, try as I did to not let it affect me. It sucks being so into a band and being forced to sit next to and around people who look like they are sitting at the waiting room waiting for a colonoscopy, or for the HIV test results to come back.

On the way out I heard people bitcn that they didnt play FLY BY NIGHT! Are you kidding me? Whens the last time they played that live? Others complaining about the new material and that it sucked! Were we watching the same show? Dont know why people spend good money if they are going to be miserable.

I think it could have to do with society in general though. Maybe not just Rush crowds. People dont seem to be too passionate about anything these days if it isnt stuffing their face with fast food. Sad

My solution? From now on If I am going to go the closest as possible where people seem to be more into it.. I was row 4 in Buffalo

Exactly!

Not to mention knowing how Geddy spends his days off in between shows in order to deliver the performance he does! Not that your average Joe is aware of that, but I am!

Yes, when it is called the Clockwork Angels Tour, you should really appreciate everything not on the album as icing on the (oh so delicious) cake. I guess I can KIND of understand that because I know lots of other bands go on tour to promote their new album and play maybe 3 songs off of it. People probably go in expecting as much out of Rush.

You are 100% dead on, thats exactly what it felt like for me, standing in between a group of people in the waiting room.

I also heard a bunch of complaining on my way out about various things and it REALLY struck a nerve.

"Even Rush songs that I don't like I enjoy live, because I love to watch them play and love to hear and feel the devotion they put into the playing. It varies from night to night which songs come off the best, but they give their all to each and every one, and that's plenty enough for me :rush:

This exactly. I love to watch them play. They could stand on an empty stage and not move and I would still Love the show. Amazing to watch their hands

I saw the Trees in a couple of shows since R30 it was great live. Actually they have done some great stuff in the last 10 years. I missed all the shows before R30 for various reasons so glad to have gotten 10 years of shows

I think it is hard for die hard fans to understand how there are just casual concert goes. There are. I'm not and obviously no one on here is, but I would venture to say that only 25% of the people there fit into the same category of people on this forum.

Not that every Rush fan on earth is on this forum, but how many people on this forum went to this show? 10 out of 10,000 in attendance? Hard for us to make a dent went most people are really just there to party and have a good time, not devote 100% if their attention on the band.