Saratoga...what happened guys?

I attended the show last night, second time seeing it after last year in Newark,NJ.

The band was on fire, and just as last year, I was astounded by Geddy's vocals. Video recordings really don't do it justice. Couple of flubs, Neil on TSOR being the most amusing, amazing recovery though. I was very happy to receive the alternate setlist than I saw last time. The biggest difference, however, was the audience. What gives guys? This was clearly not an 80's audience, as I could tell from the first half of the set, but to make matters worse, this was apparently also not a CA audience either. I saw LOTS of people sitting down,bored, during all of the new material, even Headlong Flight! A few people around me actually left after The Anarchist, I believe, and never returned! The crowd came to life during the bit hits, naturally, but even that was tame compared to Newark. I had a great time, no doubt, but the audience really created a buzzkill of sorts for me, as much as I tried to not let it bother me. Anyway........just had to get that off my chest. Here are a few pics I managed to take!

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag13/fictionalfallacy/P1000498_zps607016b0.jpg

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag13/fictionalfallacy/P1000504_zps10092b51.jpg

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag13/fictionalfallacy/P1000508_zps1479ab8e.jpg

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag13/fictionalfallacy/P1000511_zpsf056aaef.jpg

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag13/fictionalfallacy/P1000520_zpsf6826e34.jpg

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag13/fictionalfallacy/P1000522_zps6f5ea761.jpg

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag13/fictionalfallacy/P1000526_zpsa03ed236.jpg

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag13/fictionalfallacy/P1000542_zpsb6d66294.jpg

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag13/fictionalfallacy/P1000558_zpsba726f2b.jpg

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag13/fictionalfallacy/P1000574_zps32d8b5e7.jpg

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag13/fictionalfallacy/P1000580_zps30979443.jpg

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag13/fictionalfallacy/P1000590_zps70384bc0.jpg

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag13/fictionalfallacy/P1000598_zpsdeec0a63.jpg

same case as at nashville. I really don't get why people who only wanna hear music before 1982 still shell out the big bucks for good seats when all they wanna hear is tom sawyer and spirit of radio.
  • Like 7

I'm with you man. I was in the front row and I turned around at one point and there were a ton of people sitting in the pit.

I just think there were too many deep tracks plus of all CA. I loved it, but I am a diehard and thought it was neat to see other songs like Grand Designs and The Body Electric. My brother is more into the older material, and he kind of zoned out and just watched Neil during songs he really didn't know too well. He was still rocking out the whole time, but he would have been a lot happier if they broke into The Necromancer instead of Manhattan Project...

I am glad they had the balls to do this as it is a huge risk, but it doesn't really seem like it is killing their sales, either.

• Like 1

I guess I'm a blind lover of the band. They could cover the Bee Gees and the Osmonds all night long and I'd still be rocking and cheering the whole time. :)

I think we did this when they released Feedback!

• Like 1

Where I was standing everyone was pumping fist ..air drums ...singing!!! WHAT A SHOW!

TSOR was a great recovery..I noticed Alex laughing!!!

I thought the first leg was killer (newark NJ) Last night they were in your face!!

These guys just continue to blow me away!

• Like 2

same case as at nashville. I really don't get why people who only wanna hear music before 1982 still shell out the big bucks for good seats when all they wanna hear is tom sawyer and spirit of radio.

Yeah, I've been going to concerts for over 20 years and that has never made sense to me. I know it's not always possible for everyone to know or like every song Rush plays live but if you aren't at least keeping up with what the band is currently doing then why buy a ticket? I understand back in the day when it only cost like $15 why you might go for the hell of it. But with prices now in the $70-$100 range it's just a waste of money to go only to hear a few of the big hits.

I saw them in Saratoga on the Time Machine tour and would've liked to have gone to this show. Unfortunately, with it being a four hour drive from me and the show happening on a Tuesday, I just wasn't able to do it this time. If they were able to have it on a Friday like last time, I would've been there.

• Like 1

I've always been blessed to have a crazy Detroit/Michigan audience....they are always really energetic. I'm hoping that keeps true to Grand Rapids this Sunday. It would be terrible to go to a show where people just pissed and moaned the whole time. Ugh.

I'll enjoy it no matter how they feel though, ya know? Sorry to hear that the crowd seemed mush...

• Like 1

I don't know why people have refused to listen to the new material. Jesus, you don't even have to buy the album to listen to it. It kicks ass and I don't know why anyone would attend a show named "Clockwork Angels Tour," if they hadn't listened to any of the new stuff. I sure as hell wouldn't go to a Metallica concert and expect them to play only the songs from "...And Justice For All," and "The Black Album."
  • Like 4

I don't know why people have refused to listen to the new material. Jesus, you don't even have to buy the album to listen to it. It kicks ass and I don't know why anyone would attend a show named "Clockwork Angels Tour," if they hadn't listened to any of the new stuff. I sure as hell wouldn't go to a Metallica concert and expect them to play only the songs from "...And Justice For All," and "The Black Album."

well I saw metallica in 2009 and they pretty much stuck to the classic era, oddly enough. stuff off the first 5 albums, and 5 or 6 songs off death magnetic, but thankfully nothing off of load, reload or st anger. and to be honest, I could've done without any black album tunes myself.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been going to concerts for over 20 years and that has never made sense to me. I know it's not always possible for everyone to know or like every song Rush plays live but if you aren't at least keeping up with what the band is currently doing then why buy a ticket? I understand back in the day when it only cost like $15 why you might go for the hell of it. But with prices now in the $70-$100 range it's just a waste of money to go only to hear a few of the big hits.

I saw them in Saratoga on the Time Machine tour and would've liked to have gone to this show. Unfortunately, with it being a four hour drive from me and the show happening on a Tuesday, I just wasn't able to do it this time. If they were able to have it on a Friday like last time, I would've been there.

Every year I convince about 3-4 friends of mine to see a show with me. They generally want guitar based music and only know TS, TSoR, WM, and maybe 1 or 2 other tracks. The guys I took with me like (but weren't pumped) over CA, but generally had their energy die in the first set synth fest. I think this is normal. I love and appreciate getting songs that I've never heard live before, even if they are from the the 1982-1989 time period, but of course that's not going to be the norm for casual fans.

You may not expect that, but most casual fans would prefer it. And there are many acts, and almost all acts who started in the 60s or 70s fall into this category, that basically play greatest hits tours. I love the Allman Bros, and even after they came out with Back Where it All Began, their best album in two decades, the show was still a greatest hits show.

That is too bad the crowd wasn't into it. We go mainly for the CA stuff love the new stuff. I get not liking the synth but there is still great riffs and drums. I could honestly go without Spirit and Tom Sawyer good songs but seen them enough live
  • Like 1

I honestly believe the synth-era songs benefits from being played live with the more modern guitar sound Alex got. The guitar parts now has the balls they lacked on the recordings.

Manhattan Project and Territories are now some of my favorites :)

• Like 2

This is unfair of me to say, but it seems that people should be more appreciative of being at a Rush concert, and show their appreciation. I realize people aren't obligated to be thankful for Rush still being around, and of all the hard work that goes into shows and the fact that they're rocking out while not being spring chickens, but.... I guess if someone is going to shell out money for tickets, which aren't cheap, they should want to go. They should be a fan of the music, or rather of the band, and be able to appreciate the band's music.

The CA songs rocked so much live. I'm so glad Rush decided to play so many CA songs... and it seems that even if people haven't listend to the album much, they could still appreciate these songs as sounding awesome live. I was also happy to have 'different' songs played, like 'Grand Designs' and 'Territories' and especially 'Where's My Thing?' rather than the usual more well-known songs.

It would be nice if the best seats could be reserved for the more-than-casual fans, for those that will rock out and show their appreciation to the boys. I can't imagine what it might be like to play your heart out, and look and see people being unreactive and bored, and only livening up for the hits. I've mentioned this before, but I remember when 'Middletown Dreams' was played in Edmonton, a few different people actually walked out, presumably to have a bathroom break. Who has a bathroom break in the middle of a Rush show?!? Anyway, it would be a win for the band to somehow manuever having the best seats for the biggest fans, as these fans would give the boys back so much energy, which the boys would put into the show, and everyone would win. It would be nice if they could offer something like this through Rush.com or something.

Also, I'm glad to hear Geddy's singing is sounding amazing, as you say. I wish there were more recordings kicking around so I could hear him, but maybe I'll have to be patient and wait another month! And thanks also for sharing the photos! :)

PS I thought that your thread title was referring to the boys sucking or something... glad it wasn't about that all! *whew!*

Edited by Mika
  • Like 6

Don't think it is a Rush thing, it's actually the problem with society these days. I'm a Liverpool Football Club fan and these days people leave before the end of the match. Some events, there are empty seats even though the event is sold out, just look at Wimbledon and the recent London Olympics. In the 'old days' we didn't know the set list ahead of time and it was like Christmas especially when Subdivisions was added to The Trees. The atmosphere was electric for the encores because we didn't know what they would play. Now everyone knows everything and there are no surprises, and people head out early worrying about getting home ahead of the traffic.

It's just the way the world is now, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Don't think it is a Rush thing, it's actually the problem with society these days. I'm a Liverpool Football Club fan and these days people leave before the end of the match. Some events, there are empty seats even though the event is sold out, just look at Wimbledon and the recent London Olympics. In the 'old days' we didn't know the set list ahead of time and it was like Christmas especially when Subdivisions was added to The Trees. The atmosphere was electric for the encores because we didn't know what they would play. Now everyone knows everything and there are no surprises, and people head out early worrying about getting home ahead of the traffic.

It's just the way the world is now, unfortunately.

I gotta agree with this. The big time college football games cost a fortune to go to now, but, unless the games is really close, going into the 4th quarter, a certain % of fans will hit the exits. Our head ball coach even said something about it during a post game press conference, one time. He said, "the alcohol will still be there after the game." That's pathetic, because, back in the 1990s, when we weren't very good, and the tickets were cheap, NOBODY left, even if we were losing bad. It was a tradition.

anyways, good post.

• Like 1

You may not expect that, but most casual fans would prefer it. And there are many acts, and almost all acts who started in the 60s or 70s fall into this category, that basically play greatest hits tours. I love the Allman Bros, and even after they came out with Back Where it All Began, their best album in two decades, the show was still a greatest hits show.

OK, but everybody else ain't Rush...LOL.
  • Like 1

I love Where's my Thing so glad I saw it live. Hubby and I groaned when Limelight started only because we saw the exact setlist for the other 2 shows we saw this tour and were hoping to see some other deep cuts. Edited by hcm
  • Like 1

Anyway, it would be a win for the band to somehow manuever having the best seats for the biggest fans, as these fans would give the boys back so much energy, which the boys would put into the show, and everyone would win. It would be nice if they could offer something like this through Rush.com or something.

Iron Maiden does this for their North American tours. They send out a special pre-sale code to fan club members a few days before the pre-sale begins. With that code they make available to you the general admission pit in front of the stage if the venue has one and all the reserved seats in the first section of the amphitheater. If it's an arena show, the floor is general admission and those are made available first in the pre-sale. They are the only band I know of that does these ticket "pre-sales" right and it works because I've done it before with them. They want the fans up front to be real dedicated fans who are into the show and that's usually what they get with this. Rush should think about using this kind of system since the diehards would have access to the good tickets right away. Maiden also does what's called "paperless tickets" at a lot of shows when it comes to the good seats. All you have to do is bring the card you purchased the tickets with to the venue and they print you out a "ticket" there. This eliminates scalpers getting the good seats and allows the real fans who want to pay the for the best seats in the house to get them.

• Like 2

I guess I'm a blind lover of the band. They could cover the Bee Gees and the Osmonds all night long and I'd still be rocking and cheering the whole time. :)

LMAO

I'm tellin' ya!

Also, I could understand it if the new album really wasn't that good, but it's fantastic. Easily among their best few ever as an album goes.

I think that a huge part of the "problem" is that most fans that age see other bands come and perform their early hits since they've all pretty much put out shitty material and have otherwise sucked for two decades or more in some cases. I mean take Foreigner, Journey, REO, Styx, etc., all of which that tour now, none of them have any relevant music at all that post dates 1990. Most of their good stuff is from the late '70s and early '80s.

Rush could perform a brilliant show just based on material from Roll the Bones, Counterparts, Test for Echo, Vapor Trails, Feedback, Snakes and Arrows, and CAs and they'd still have to cut some great tunes.

What gets me is that the set-lists for these shows was known well before the tix even went on sale. If you only want to come see the band b/c of a song or two, and it's not even on the set-list or you take a big chance as one of the "revolving" tunes on the set-list, why even bother buying tix. I don't get it.

Meh, whatever. I guess for the band you're damned if you do/damned if you don't, eh.

Like I've said, I'd pay just to hear them jam for two hours or as you say, do covers. LOL In fact, the covers would probably be a perfect blend of humor and great music.

• Like 2