I just listened to Fountain of Lamneth

Xanadoood

I certainly agree

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p626/apetersvt/IMG_1020-1.jpg

• Like 4

I was getting frustrated putting together a puzzle and I was almost done and I put it on my android and It was like the greatest and I finished by the time it was over one of my all time favs.
  • Like 1

One of my faves. An amazing accomplishment for the band. A lot of credit is given to 2112 for everything that it entails but in many ways this is more impressive. It's more musically diverse and the subject matter it covers is all encompassing. Neil's first evidence of his true lyrical potential even with the glimpses of genius on fbn.
  • Like 1

This song gets unfairly maligned sometimes by fans, and certainly by the band.

I think it's an amazing song, BUT it took many, many years to grow on me. No, it's not QUITE as mature as 2112 or Hemispheres, but it's still an amazing prog epic.

Glad you folks like it so much. it's not for me. its just blah to me. it wander all over the place, The it jolts you. Then it just wanders aimlessly. The some more jolts. Then some more wandering. Followed by more uncoordinated jolts.

Big parts want to put me to sleep (not in a good way). At least its better than most of VT (and thats not a compliment). Nothing I want to listen to. The best thing about it is that its the last song on CoS (which, next to the vile VT, is their worst album - in large part because of this song and The Necromancer).

Glad you folks like it so much. it's not for me. its just blah to me. it wander all over the place, The it jolts you. Then it just wanders aimlessly. The some more jolts. Then some more wandering. Followed by more uncoordinated jolts.

Big parts want to put me to sleep (not in a good way). At least its better than most of VT (and thats not a compliment). Nothing I want to listen to. The best thing about it is that its the last song on CoS (which, next to the vile VT, is their worst album - in large part because of this song and The Necromancer).

What I think makes COS their least desirable album from 1974-1987 is The Necromancer and ITIGB. Love Fountain, jolts and all. It's basically 3/5ths of a great album. Remove the narration in The Necromancer and it would have almost been a great consistent album.

• Like 1

What I think makes COS their least desirable album from 1974-1987 is The Necromancer and ITIGB. Love Fountain, jolts and all. It's basically 3/5ths of a great album. Remove the narration in The Necromancer and it would have almost been a great consistent album.

I agree about the narration. It took me a really, really long time to not get bothered by it. The narration in Double Agent took me a bit to get used to as well, but DA narration bothers me less. Not sure what makes the Necromancer one more annoying?

I agree about the narration. It took me a really, really long time to not get bothered by it. The narration in Double Agent took me a bit to get used to as well, but DA narration bothers me less. Not sure what makes the Necromancer one more annoying?

I find the narration in Necromancer EXTREMELY cheesy. I still don't fully enjoy it but, at least, Double Agent adds to the story and music and somewhat fits. Narration in Necromancer almost feels forced, in a way.

• Like 1

That Em7/A/Dsus2/D intro riff to "Bacchus Plateau" is awesome, as is Alex's outro.

The whole album is sophomorically self-absorbed, but then again, these guys were, what..22,23? when they made it? I think I can forgive them any 20-something self-absorption. At least they weren't whining about how tough they found the world to be.

Love this song. I didn't listen to it, like, ever, until last summer, and then kicked myself a little for having not listened to it before. Since I heard it long after '2112' and 'Hemispheres', it's kind of fresh and new to me, so I might be a little biased in my liking of it.

I love Geddy's singing on this - he displays his vocals tones well, his softer style and his strident style. The instruments are all very clear on the production side, and there's some great guitar work. I find this song more musically diverse than certainly 'Hemispheres' and maybe even '2112', but maybe that's just because, as I said, it's still fresh to me.

And no offense to TheAccountant, but I'm getting a little annoyed at hearing how 'vile' and 'rubbish' Vapor Trails is. I totally get that there are people that don't like it, and that's fine, but I think it's a bit sad to hear a body of work being cited as 'never should have been released; utter garbage'. I'm not saying everyone should be like me and like it, but rather that these are harsh words and maybe a little unwarranted in their harshness.

I think pronouncing it their least desirable album of the era is a bit premature. I certainly don't agree. I prefer it to rush and fbn

I find the narration in Necromancer EXTREMELY cheesy. I still don't fully enjoy it but, at least, Double Agent adds to the story and music and somewhat fits. Narration in Necromancer almost feels forced, in a way.

Yeah, the narration on Double Agent doesn't bother me. It does on The Necromancer however, AND on Cygnus-X1.

I think pronouncing it their least desirable album of the era is a bit premature. I certainly don't agree. I prefer it to rush and fbn

The best material on COS is better than the material on Rush and FBN for the most part, but at least those two albums are consistent and don't have any tracks I skip like I do with ITIGB and The Necromancer.

Yeah, the narration on Double Agent doesn't bother me. It does on The Necromancer however, AND on Cygnus-X1.

I agree - I think because the "DA" narration simply is Geddy narrating, unlike the contrived character voices on "TN" and "Cygnus".

Then again, what about the "narration" on "Headlong Flight"?

I agree - I think because the "DA" narration simply is Geddy narrating, unlike the contrived character voices on "TN" and "Cygnus".

I think it's different with Headlong Flight because there's rockin' instrument playing going on in the background. Whilst Cygnus is just pure synth sounds and Necromancer is a guitar plucking a few strings.

Completely agreed. Yeah, DA doesn't bother me, nor does Headlong Flight, maybe because they're really more like part of the lyrics than an add on to tell a story. If those are really necessary, they should be put as liner notes, like as on 2112 and not part of the song. It just doesn't work.

Love this song. I didn't listen to it, like, ever, until last summer, and then kicked myself a little for having not listened to it before. Since I heard it long after '2112' and 'Hemispheres', it's kind of fresh and new to me, so I might be a little biased in my liking of it.

I love Geddy's singing on this - he displays his vocals tones well, his softer style and his strident style. The instruments are all very clear on the production side, and there's some great guitar work. I find this song more musically diverse than certainly 'Hemispheres' and maybe even '2112', but maybe that's just because, as I said, it's still fresh to me.

And no offense to TheAccountant, but I'm getting a little annoyed at hearing how 'vile' and 'rubbish' Vapor Trails is. I totally get that there are people that don't like it, and that's fine, but I think it's a bit sad to hear a body of work being cited as 'never should have been released; utter garbage'. I'm not saying everyone should be like me and like it, but rather that these are harsh words and maybe a little unwarranted in their harshness.

um, what she said...

I think it's different with Headlong Flight because there's rockin' instrument playing going on in the background. Whilst Cygnus is just pure synth sounds and Necromancer is a guitar plucking a few strings.

It's funny - I don't really care much for the narration on 'Headlong Flight'! I've kind of surprised myself with this - I shouldn't really care too much. But each time I hear the song, it gets brought down a bit for me at the narration part. I think it's specifically the, "Hey, man, I would NEVER trade tomorrow.." Egh. It's such a silly little point to dwell negatively on, but I can't help it!

Also like the narration in 'Double Agent'. Don't know if Geddy's voice is quite processed, but it sounds really good. I feel like I could listen to an audio book with him speaking in this voice!

And it's still f*ckin brilliant..

Every note