Jimmy Page getting schooled on Rush

Skin Bag

Picked this up from the Led Zeppelin forum today:

British rock photographer Ross Halfin's online diary entry for this past Monday, May 27th describes how he went to a record fair with Jimmy Page and played him Rush's Fly By Night in the car:

May 27th: A very nice and sunny - and hot - Bank Holiday Monday. Did I sit in the garden and enjoy it? No, I drove to Jimmy Page's, picked him up and headed to Reading to the record fair. As I had Rush's Fly By Night in the car it was time for Jimmy to experience Anthem and Beneath, Between and Behind on the motorway. He liked the drumming and I did catch him listening to Alex Lifeson. Jimmy told me he liked La Villa Strangiato. ...

Jimmy Page is one of Alex Lifeson's biggest influences. Alex talks about finally meeting his idol in this 2006 Guitar Player interview http://www.cygnus-x1...yer-03.2006.php Halfin has photographed a number of rock icons over the years including Rush.

http://www.rosshalfi...ry-may-2013.php

"La Villa Strangiato" isn't on the Fly By Night album.

I bet you're not the only one to have figured that out, but good job nonetheless!

I bet you're not the only one to have figured that out, but good job nonetheless!

It just seemed kind of out of place that Page would say that when they were supposed to be listening to FBN.

It just seemed kind of out of place that Page would say that when they were supposed to be listening to FBN.

The way this is written, I can almost imagine Halpin and Page's conversation going somewhat like this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkp7f8IxJNU

Edited by laughedatbytime

It doesn't strike me as odd. Maybe it went something like this...

"Fly By Night is a decent album, but the songwriting is a bit sophomoric. La Villa Strangiato is more my cup of tea."

Rush was still very much in Led Zeppelin mode when they wrote those songs IMO. I bet Jimmy picked up on that.

Not that Jimmy didn't do his fair share of ripping off others, LOL.

Technically, every musician "rips off" another artist. And I'm sure they were still in their Zeppelin obsession through the first few albums.

wow, either I'm going blind or that post is very faint and hard to read.

Yeh, what's up with that? Do you think it's because I did a cut & paste from the LZ forum? It's the first time I've started a topic and noticed how faint it was but thought it might get darker upon posting. Apparently not.