USA Today article

Lost In Xanadu

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2013/04/16/rush-finally-in-rock-hall-of-fame/2071265/

With the Canadian trio's 2013 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson hope that Yes and King Crimson won't be far behind.

When word came last December that Canadian progressive-rock titans Rush were among the 2013 inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Meredith Rutledge-Borger was in for a shock.

"The normal barrage of e-mails and calls from Rush fans complaining that the band was overlooked was gone," says Rutledge-Borger, an assistant curator at the Cleveland-based rock shrine's museum. "I don't know what I'll do now with all my spare time."

The new crop of inductees — who will be feted at a ceremony Thursday night at Los Angeles' Nokia Theatre — reflects an especially wide range of music: acerbic pop (Randy Newman), disco (the late Donna Summer), blues (the late Albert King), rap (Public Enemy) and a true hair band (Heart).

I like this part:

"I'm relieved for our fans, who took it personally each time we were overlooked," says Geddy Lee, 59, who plays bass and fronts the band, which also includes guitarist Alex Lifeson, 59, and drummer Neil Peart, 60. Rush became eligible for induction in 1999, 25 years after the release of the group's first record, but didn't make the ballot until 2012.

"But I also hope this means other great bands like Yes will follow suit," says Lee. "Deep Purple was on the ballot this year, and I was hoping they'd get in with us. We wouldn't be the band we are without Deep Purple's existence."

Lifeson says he hopes Rush's inclusion "opens the doors for bands like the Moody Blues and King Crimson, who had a huge influence. It's a bit ironic, really. Rock music was born in rebellion, so it's odd to have (a Hall of Fame) where there seem to be guidelines for who's acceptable and who's not."

Heart is a hair band ?

Maybe because they're female and have long hair??

So the implication is that long hair on men isn't "true" hair, and bands led by women aren't "true" bands?

Heart is a hair band ?

Heart had poofy hair in the 80's. I guess that's it.

:eyeroll:

Funny how this thread is about 2 words regarding Heart, and nothing the guys had to say....

Heart is a hair band ?

Heart had poofy hair in the 80's. I guess that's it.

:eyeroll:

Funny how this thread is about 2 words regarding Heart, and nothing the guys had to say....

Probably because everything there is to be said has been said in a variety of other threads... :LOL:

Have to admit it's getting pretenious hearing Rush's music characterized as pretenious. :zzz:

Have to admit it's getting pretentious hearing Rush's music characterized as pretentious. :zzz:

Those who criticize the band as pretentious are the pretentious ones. They're threatened by the band's high level of intelligence and complexity - something they themselves will never achieve - so they pretend to be above the band. :boo hiss: :boo hiss:

Rush's Rock Hall moment is "long overdue, and signals that an old guard is moving aside" at the Jann Wenner-co-founded institution, says Andy Greene, associate editor at Rolling Stone. He says Rush proudly carries the prog-rock flag ("Let's be honest, some of that prog stuff was pretentious and awful"), thanks to its "mix of inventive sounds and genuine radio hits like Fly By Night and Closer to the Heart."

That line I bolded was particularly disturbing and doesn't bode well for the other prog rock giants that NEED to get in immediately. Thankfully, Rush often mention at least half the bands that need to be in right now like Yes, King Crimson, The Moody Blues, Deep Purple, etc. Also in need of immediate admittance is Jethro Tull, Kiss and Cat Stevens.

Those 7 artists/bands it's pretty inexcusable not to have, but that said, ELP, Brian Eno, Donovan, Tangerine Dream, Captain Beefheart, Steve Miller, Judas Priest & Iron Maiden should be in too.

• Like 1

Rush's Rock Hall moment is "long overdue, and signals that an old guard is moving aside" at the Jann Wenner-co-founded institution, says Andy Greene, associate editor at Rolling Stone. He says Rush proudly carries the prog-rock flag ("Let's be honest, some of that prog stuff was pretentious and awful"), thanks to its "mix of inventive sounds and genuine radio hits like Fly By Night and Closer to the Heart."

That line I bolded was particularly disturbing and doesn't bode well for the other prog rock giants that NEED to get in immediately. Thankfully, Rush often mention at least half the bands that need to be in right now like Yes, King Crimson, The Moody Blues, Deep Purple, etc. Also in need of immediate admittance is Jethro Tull, Kiss and Cat Stevens.

Those 7 artists/bands it's pretty inexcusable not to have, but that said, ELP, Brian Eno, Donovan, Tangerine Dream, Captain Beefheart, Steve Miller, Judas Priest & Iron Maiden should be in too.

Everyone you mentioned definitely deserves to be in...especially those first 4 groups.

As for 'pretentious', rock critics have been using that term about Rush and prog rock since at least the early 80s [when I started reading music articles]. They're attached to the word like maggots in a bin.

Everyone you mentioned definitely deserves to be in...especially those first 4 groups.

As for 'pretentious', rock critics have been using that term about Rush and prog rock since at least the early 80s [when I started reading music articles]. They're attached to the word like maggots in a bin.

I'm not saying prog never gets pretentious, as it certainly does, but they way they use it minimizes and dismisses a huge vital genre of music and too easily dismisses a hell of a lot of great, complex and beautiful music by intelligent people who can actually play their instruments.

I'm not saying prog never gets pretentious, as it certainly does, but they way they use it minimizes and dismisses a huge vital genre of music and too easily dismisses a hell of a lot of great, complex and beautiful music by intelligent people who can actually play their instruments.

As I said, they're maggots...or rather, dismissive maggots.

How's come the only time hear the word pretentious, its describing what the critics say about prog music. I've never heard any one ever use it before except in that context.

SIde Note, Thank you RushGoober for getting me interest in ASTRA. I've been listening to their album the black chord for the last couple weeks. It's such a great album to listen too! Especially while stargazing!

How's come the only time hear the word pretentious, its describing what the critics say about prog music. I've never heard any one ever use it before except in that context.

SIde Note, Thank you RushGoober for getting me interest in ASTRA. I've been listening to their album the black chord for the last couple weeks. It's such a great album to listen too! Especially while stargazing!

:cheers: Glad to hear it, brother!

I'm assuming you have their first album as well, The Weirding? Both are essential! :)