How to become a Rush fan for life!

MMCXII

Some of you may have seen this already. Not sure when it was written but I just discovered it on WikiHow..

Check out #9! cool!

The Canadian prog-rock band known as Rush is one of the best live bands out there, and has the most complex sound for any three-piece band. Follow this guide to become one of the many devoted Rush fans for life.

Turn off your radio, AM or FM; the disc jockeys' selections from the Rush catalogue are not conducive to becoming a true fan. They may even make you hate the band if they play the wrong "first" song.

Go to the record store and pick up "Chronicles." It is a 2-disc compilation of their hits from '74 to '89. The other greatest hits compilations have similar selections, but Chronicles is the best for an important reason: the liner essay by John Swenson. Mr. Swenson does a masterful job of explaining the significance and context of Rush's beginnings and their subsequent developments. Moreover, the liner notes show the covers of all the albums up to '89, which is helpful when shopping for your next Rush purchase.

A few other notes about "Chronicles." Read the essay WHILST you listen to disc one. Begin with track 2, Working Man. Keep in mind the debut record was recorded late at night, AFTER the band had played a pub for several hours. The last thing Mr. Lifeson felt like doing that night was playing a 2 minute solo. Next, listen to the following songs in this order: Fly By Night; Free Will; The Spirit of Radio; Tom Sawyer; Limelight; Red Barchetta.

Limit yourself to only the above songs for about a month. Be a keen listener. Listen carefully to each song 4 times: once for guitars; again for the drums; yet again for the bass; and finally for the keyboards.

It's time to buy another album. Go get All the World's a Stage. It is a live album and a powerhouse of a guitar record. Begin listening to all the other songs on disc one of "Chronicles."

After a couple of weeks with the live ATWAS, go get yourself Moving Pictures AND Exit...Stage Left. Listen to MP all the way through, but skip track 5; you're not ready. Listen to Jacob's Ladder, YYZ, and Xanadu on ESL. Slowly delve into the second disc of "Chronicles."

You need a shirt: Go to Rush.com and browse their store.

If the boys are on tour, consider getting some tickets if they are in town. Rush are the best live band you will come across. The mix is always good, and they wear their humour on their sleeves. Most folks think they are a bunch of hard-heads because of the lyrics and album covers. Not so. They have brains and aren't afraid to use 'em, though.

Join http://www.therushforum.com. Good folks and good stories. Something for everyone.

Buy 2112, Fly By Night, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves. Lay on your bed and read "Contents under Pressure," pp. 3-99. Don't forget to eat lunch and dinner!

Got to YouTube and watch Rush videos, or better yet, go to the store and buy some live DVDs.

Buy Signals, Grace Under Pressure, and Hold Your Fire.

Listen to some early Pearl Jam and Primus, then go buy and listen to Presto, Roll the Bones, Counterparts, and Test for Echo.

Don't listen to Rush for a month's time. Listen to some Zeppelin or Collective Soul instead. Throw in some Beach Boys for good measure.

Read Ghost Rider by Neil Peart.

Take another month off from Rush. You have some thinking to do.

Buy Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows. Absorb.

You should now understand very well the ideas, talent, progress, and trials of Rush. Stay in touch by looking at 2112.net/powerwindows.

I'm sure this was intended at least in part to be humorous but it could probably be taken quite literally! Edited by MMCXII

ya us true fans don't need these steps because we're already musically enlightened!.. this is for the "uninitiated" I think lol

I'm glad someone thought enough about Rush to come up with this set of instructions, but it is pretty ridiculous. There's no way anyone is going to do it exactly the way this crazy person wants them to. I'm not saying that way won't work, but great music shouldn't take that much of following instructions to enjoy! :P

And srsly? Vapor Trails? That should read as "Vapor Trails is FOR COMPLETISTS ONLY. This is their only truly BAD album, but if you must listen to it to complete the collection at least wait until you have everything else first, and for the record you have been warned." Ugh.

Edited by rushgoober

I'm glad someone thought enough about Rush to come up with this set of instructions, but it is pretty ridiculous. There's no way anyone is going to do it exactly the way this crazy person wants them to. I'm not saying that way won't work, but great music shouldn't take that much of following instructions to enjoy! :P

And srsly? Vapor Trails? That should read as "Vapor Trails is FOR COMPLETISTS ONLY. This is their only truly BAD album, but if you must listen to it to complete the collection at least wait until you have everything else first, and for the record you have been warned." Ugh.

Good point but I took the article as just an interesting read.

And I'm happy to report I completely disagree with you on vapor trails :)

• Like 1

And srsly? Vapor Trails? That should read as "Buy 3 copies of Vapor Trails because you'll wear the first two out. This is their only truly EPIC album, therefore you must listen to it to complete your soul. Wait until you have everything else first, because nothing will ever compare." Also, I kill kittens.

Fixed.

:heart:

• Like 2

Everything gets back to Vapor Trails with RushGoober!

It was an interesting read- but it makes learning to love a band seem an awful lot like cramming for an exam.

Edited by Animate

Everything gets back to Vapor Trails with RushGoober!

It was an interesting read- but it makes learning to love a band seem an awful lot like cramming for an exam.

:LOL:

Not everything, but the article had precious little credibility to start with. Then when the instructions included absorbing VT, it lost the little it had. ;)

And srsly? Vapor Trails? That should read as "Buy 3 copies of Vapor Trails because you'll wear the first two out. This is their only truly EPIC album, therefore you must listen to it to complete your soul. Wait until you have everything else first, because nothing will ever compare." Also, I kill kittens.

Fixed.

:facepalm:

I would explain that we're talking about Vapor Trails here, and I would normally assume that would be self-explanatory, but for those who insist on liking or loving this album, I guess you'll never understand how profoundly it truly does suck. ;) :P

I feel bad for those who are unable to see past the production values on Vapor Trails enough to realize what amazing music this album contains.. so much so that I've written a recipe for Rushgoo -uh, I mean those who are still struggling with Rush's most emotional album.

Important: Make sure you have a certain measure of tolerance and a willingness to rise above on hand or this recipe may not work. ok let's begin..

~first you will need a certain degree of determination to dare on a different course.

~then add one certain degree of imagination (if you do not have imagination, a measure of make believe will suffice or if necessary a certain amount of force)

~cook for about 67 min on HIGH and you should start to see a certain degree of surrender to the forces of heat and light.

~now remove from heat and celebrate the moment!

note: I like to top this dish with a shot of satisfaction.. preferably in a willingness to risk DEFEAT! ;)

• Like 1

Fixed.

I would explain that we're talking about Vapor Trails here, and I would normally assume that would be self-explanatory, but for those who insist on liking or loving this album, I guess you'll never understand how profoundly it truly does suck. ;) :P

Love you goobs :dweez:

Fixed.

Love you goobs :dweez:

Love you too, Matt! :cheers:

I feel bad for those who are unable to see past the production values on Vapor Trails enough to realize what amazing music this album contains.. so much so that I've written a recipe for Rushgoo -uh, I mean those who are still struggling with Rush's most emotional album.

Important: Make sure you have a certain measure of tolerance and a willingness to rise above on hand or this recipe may not work. ok let's begin..

~first you will need a certain degree of determination to dare on a different course.

~then add one certain degree of imagination (if you do not have imagination, a measure of make believe will suffice or if necessary a certain amount of force)

~cook for about 67 min on HIGH and you should start to see a certain degree of surrender to the forces of heat and light.

note: I like to top this dish with a shot of satisfaction.. preferably in a willingness to risk DEFEAT! ;)

It's funny that you said "I feel bad for those who are unable to see past the production values on Vapor Trails enough to realize what amazing music this album contains."

I actually feel bad for those who think it's amazing music when to me it's so obviously a terribly weak effort on every level, even ignoring the horrendous production value. It seems to me a blind love for Rush no matter what they put out.

So feel free to feel bad for me if you need to, but I'm perfectly happy listening to their other 18 albums (ok, listening to the 15 albums of theirs I love). :)

It's funny that you said "I feel bad for those who are unable to see past the production values on Vapor Trails enough to realize what amazing music this album contains."

I actually feel bad for those who think it's amazing music when to me it's so obviously a terribly weak effort on every level, even ignoring the horrendous production value. It seems to me a blind love for Rush no matter what they put out.

So feel free to feel bad for me if you need to, but I'm perfectly happy listening to their other 18 albums (ok, listening to the 15 albums of theirs I love). :)

This is all in fun obviously because we're talking about tastes but I don't understand how anyone could say songs like 'Ghost rider', 'How it is' and 'Out of the cradle' are shit!

This is all in fun obviously because we're talking about tastes but I don't understand how anyone could say songs like 'Ghost rider', 'How it is' and 'Out of the cradle' are shit!

not trying to hi jack this convo lol

hubby and i found Vapor Trails in the 5 dollar cd rack at walmart. awesome find!! the last album we needed too :P

It's REALLY growing on me. Amazing songs, every last one.

hey man, I love Rush as much as the next guy, but that sounds like homework to me! :no: lol

If you like Rush then you're in luck.. It's not meant for you!

Fixed.

I could not even imagine the void that would exist in my life if the songs One Little Victory, Earthshine, Nocturne, and Freeze didn't exist. :(

Every Rush album contains gems. Even Vapor Trails :haz:

All it took for me to fall in love with the band was one listen to Bytor and the Snowdog. :haz:

watch Grohl's induction speech regarding 2112. All the reasons why I fell in love with them. Camel toe and everything.