The bed thread

Tom Sawyer

What kind of bed do you sleep on?

King? Queen?

Special matress?

I love the memory foam we have... it's nice.

Queen size is not quite big enough, but it'll do.

Do you like satin sheets? Down comforter?

My, we are getting personal... aren't we?

King size, mainly because we have to accommodate both of us and at least one 55 lb dog. It is a platform bed, very low to the ground. Mattress is hard as a rock, which I love.

We also have a total of 8 pillows. Four king-size. four standard. I love nesting up in a big wad of pillows.

King size. I'm a fairly big dude. I'm 6'3" and 240 lbs., so I like the extra room with a king. When I sleep on a twin or a full, my feet actually hang off the end of the bed.

We also have these sheets that are "Sateen". I think we got them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They are cotton, but they feel almost as soft as satin. They are wonderful. :)

Our mattress is a Simmons Beautyrest pillow top, but we are going to get a new one soon. Since it's a pillow top, we can't flip it, so there are some pretty good divits in the mattress where we always lay. :LOL:

We have a Queen Sterns and Foster Deluxe pillowtop. It's nice and soft. I can't sleep on a hard bed as I have a bad back! Fieldcrest Luxury 400 count sheets & pillowcases from Target. Non-down comforter (I'm allergic) and fleece blanket to stay warm!

Only downside to a pillowtop? As mentioned previously, you can't flip it over. so there are two nice sized "ruts" in it. LOL!

King.

I do need a new mattress though. Which one is the best?

We have a Serta (can't remember which model, but it's extra-firm). Now, it's not pillow-topped - to me that defeats the purpose of getting an extra-firm mattress. I think you can get them now with the pillow top on both sides so you can flip it.

Plus we got a free stuffed Serta sheep with our purchase. :)

Edited by Mara

King.

We have a Serta (can't remember which model, but it's extra-firm). Now, it's not pillow-topped - to me that defeats the purpose of getting an extra-firm mattress. I think you can get them now with the pillow top on both sides so you can flip it.

Really? What do you do with the sheep?

now let's talk pillows...

I have to have 2, it's just... I dunno... I have to. ...one ofsset so my arm fits under without pressure or it goes to sleep... ok, now you know. It's weird, I know.

Edited by Tom Sawyer

I've been through 4 different mattresses in the last year. Started out with a Serta iComfort bed. The one with the gel foam. Was awesome when I got it but after a month the thing went really mushy on top. Like jello. Was still in my trial period so got a Sterns and Foster regular firm mattress. Was like sleeping on a brick. Much harder than the store mattress, by a long shot. Traded that one in and got a Tempurpedic Simplicity mattress. Man, what a smell that thing had. It off-gassed for two months. It was nasty. I noticed a smell when the delivery guys brought it but they said it should dissipate in about a week. Yeah right! Finally ended up back with a regular mattress from a local place that makes them. VERY nice mattress. I would recommend that anyone who has any kind of allergies or chemical sensitivities not get a memory foam mattress. I've had several people since I sold the Tempurpedic that it's typical to take a long time to off-gas. Some people are more sensitive to the smell, but to me it was nasty.

King.

Really? What do you do with the sheep?

It sits up on the bureau, out of reach of the dogs! (I love the Serta sheep ads).

Tempur-pedic King with the pillows. For a guy that inherited a back problem like me it is the next best thing to sleeping on a cloud. You don't even want to know what it cost, but it has been worth it. I really did not think it would make a difference, but I have received such a wonderful night's sleep on this bed. If you have the means then go with the best. Your back (and in my case, your neck) will thank you. It will still take some time to pay it off, but it does have a 25 year warranty.

We bought a Latex bed....VERY expensive(like $2000 for the mattresses only)...but, I'm a fat bastard, AND, we have that big dog, in the Avatar, sleeps on it, too(in the middle :rage:), so we needed something comfortable and durable. I'll have to say that it has withstood the test of weight and time.

We bought a Latex bed....VERY expensive(like $2000 for the mattresses only)...but, I'm a fat bastard, AND, we have that big dog, in the Avatar, sleeps on it, too(in the middle :rage:), so we needed something comfortable and durable. I'll have to say that it has withstood the test of weight and time.

Do dogs EVER sleep anywhere but in the middle of the bed? You and your beloved are all bedded in for the night, snug under the covers. Then BAM! Up comes the 52 lb dog right into the middle, pulling the covers off of both humans. They're like bags of wet concrete on the bed, too - nearly impossible to shift. We have two dogs about the same size, but generally only one sleeps with us. The other spends the night on the Dog Couch (actually a loveseat that thank god we got for free, because the dogs have taken it over and more or less ruined it even with a slipcover).

I love tons o' squishy pillows. I sleep on three king-sized and one standard.

Queen Sleep Number bed. Bed bed I ever have slept on. Can change the firmness when you want, no divots :)

How long have you had it? What if it springs a leak?

We've been in the house 12 years now, so we've had it 12 years. No leaks. Only thing I don't like about it is it beeps when it is plugged in. If the power goes out in the middle of the night, it beeps when it comes back on. Dunno if it still does that, but our model does. other than that, it is awesome. They said it lasts 20 years... will be getting another one when it comes time.

Queen Sleep Number bed. Bed bed I ever have slept on. Can change the firmness when you want, no divots :)

We've been in the house 12 years now, so we've had it 12 years. No leaks. Only thing I don't like about it is it beeps when it is plugged in. If the power goes out in the middle of the night, it beeps when it comes back on. Dunno if it still does that, but our model does. other than that, it is awesome. They said it lasts 20 years... will be getting another one when it comes time.

I've had one for 11 years and love it.

That's good to know. And it's warm and comfy? Whenever I use an air mattress camping I have to put a foam pad on top or I get cold during the night.

That's good to know. And it's warm and comfy? Whenever I use an air mattress camping I have to put a foam pad on top or I get cold during the night.

Ours is a queen, 2 separate air chambers that can be set for my wife and I separately. Those chambers are surrounded by foam and then on top is a layer of foam and a pillow top covers it all. Very warm for me.... but I usually am never cold at night, so I may be a bad one to ask. Even in the middle of winter I sleep with only a sheet, and the house temp is lowered to 65 at night.

We have a queen-sized iComfort, which we just got last summer, and it's great. We had a Sleep Number bed for a little less than a year just prior to that, and my wife couldn't stand it. I was OK with it, but she didn't like it at all (but then again, I think I could fall asleep on a bed of nails if I had to), and we were fortunate enough to be able to sell it for a price that helped offset the cost of the one we have now.

Anyway, yeah, the iComfort...feels great. It cut my elapsed falling-asleep time from three minutes down to about one and a half. :P