"Am I Evil? Yes I Am!" DIAMOND HEAD V. METALLICA! "The Prince" Of Darkness Is "Helpless!"

RUSHHEAD666

Diamond Head Or Metallica: "Am I Evil," "The Prince." "Helpless"  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which versions of the three songs above do you love the most?

• DIAMOND HEAD
    • METALLICA

Been cranking some Diamond Head today. Yes gang this band RULES! Just what Music Of The Spheres needs!

Another thread about METAL!

These guys were way ahead of their time! Even Metallica loved them so much they covered three Diamond Head songs!

Which versions do you guys like the most? The originals or the Metallica covers?

It's simple for me even though I absolutely love old Metallica.

DIAMOND HEAD WINS!!!!

The songs of course are:

"Am I Evil?"

"The Prince"

"Helpless"

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

They also covered It's Electric on garage Inc. and covered Sucking My Love way back in the early 80's. I prefer the Metallica versions by FAR, though that may be because I heard them first. I'd love to see them cover the title track (Lightning...), as that is my favorite DH song.

I would have to hear the originals first before I can vote. But as far as i'm conserned Metallica has made Am I Evil their song without a doubt. They played it at every show back in the 80s and it still pops up in the set now.

By the way has Diamond Head ever gone on the "Thank You, Metallica World Tour" because without Metallica covering their stuff nobody would have a clue who they were.

and as for nobody knowing diamond head if it weren't for metallica, I don't think that's true

cause people who are really into heavy metal, especially that era, would have found the record at some point

I never really liked Metallica, they just never did it for me. The guitarist's talent is in his wah wah pedal. Even the name is like the name of a parody band, I just never did take them seriously. And after wasting my money on Master of Puppets in 1986 I said: "No Mas, no more!"

I've not heard the Metallica versions and I'm not going to go out of my way to find them, the originals are good enough for me.

I was lucky to catch the original 'Heed' a few times and they were a tremendous band. The first time was as support to AC/DC, at the Newcastle Mayfair, January '80! Yes, AC/DC with Bon - an amazing gig.

• Like 1

and as for nobody knowing diamond head if it weren't for metallica, I don't think that's true

cause people who are really into heavy metal, especially that era, would have found the record at some point

True, but it doesn't change the fact that when Metallica first started out and were playing a lot of Diamond Head covers none of the fans knew they were covers. Everyone, except for people who worked for metal record lables knew and that was it. Without Metallica, Diamond Head would just be another name on the long list of NWOBHM bands who fizzled out by the mid 80s. Diamond Head has Metallica to thank for keeping their name relevant for the last 30 years.

I'm not trying to put down Diamond Head in any way, but facts are facts.

• Like 1

master of puppets kicks ass, but you're right, they haven't done anything worth taking seriously since the late 80s

Master (and esp Justice) are worthy thrash, the rest of it is getting a bore pretty much.

Ride The Lightning says "hi".

Diamond Head hands down. I'm actually quite disappointed with the Metallica version of Am I Evil. The original sounds like the kind of thing Metallica would do and they managed to botch it.

They also covered It's Electric on garage Inc. and covered Sucking My Love way back in the early 80's. I prefer the Metallica versions by FAR, though that may be because I heard them first. I'd love to see them cover the title track (Lightning...), as that is my favorite DH song.

Damn! I had a feeling they covered a few more!

I should have done my homework!

Sucking My Love Rules!

Diamondhead is ok, I get the whole NWOBHM thing with them but while their songwriting was pretty cool, their sound was weak-ass for 1980 compared to numerous other heavy metal bands at the time. I like DH and "Nations" is a cool album but not nearly as groundbreaking as every metalhead and their brother makes it out to be.

Metallica by a mile.