NHL IS BACK: 2013 NHL Season

Cygnus 2112

Bryz'll be more comfortable in a small market with a listless fanbase. :LOL:

Like Detroit, where they show local fireworks instead of a Cup Final game?

:LOL: now that was the "media's" fault.

I didn't think Philly's press was too hard on him. Even when he was chiding some reporters yesterday, telling them to look in the mirror.. and asking one reporter what has HE done for Philadelphia. Ha. Bright lights, big city, Bryzaster!

He's only hurting himself. Any large market GM in need is probably thinking, do we need that? Someone will pick him up though. He's an alright goalie otherwise.

Come on, he's Swiss cheese. And for a guy built like "bear in forest", it takes talent to be this bad.

He was definitely above-average when he played in Phoenix. I don't think defence has a huge impact on save percentage, but it's weird how his numbers plummeted as soon as he got to Philly. I guess the moral of the story here is "goaltending performance is really hard to accurately project, so don't chain yourself to a mega-deal with a goalie".

Speaking of which, Mike Gillis must be really pissed now that another team is going to sign Bryz and take themselves out of the Luongo market...

I pity whoever gets Bryzgalov. You can't have a headcase in your net if you want to be successful.

I dunno about that...Roy and Belfour have rings. I thought insanity was supposed to be a common trait among goalies....

There are always exceptions to the rule. Crazy guy like Smith had no business winning four cups in New York back in the 80's. He did have quite a supporting cast, though. So did Roy, and Belfour only won it once. When you look at the mental state of most of the successful goalies nowadays, it seems very stable.

How do you figure Smith had no business winning Cups? Supporting cast or not, the term "money goaltender" was coined with him in mind. The guy's won a Vezina, a Conn Smythe, and an All-Star Game MVP. And while his practice of never participating in the series-ending postgame handshake was rather odd, the whole "Battlin' Billy" thing was just him being a fierce competitor. Who wouldn't want that on their team, especially when it translates into multiple Cups?

I didn't think Philly's press was too hard on him. Even when he was chiding some reporters yesterday, telling them to look in the mirror.. and asking one reporter what has HE done for Philadelphia. Ha. Bright lights, big city, Bryzaster!

He's only hurting himself. Any large market GM in need is probably thinking, do we need that? Someone will pick him up though. He's an alright goalie otherwise.

Come on, he's Swiss cheese. And for a guy built like "bear in forest", it takes talent to be this bad.

He was definitely above-average when he played in Phoenix. I don't think defence has a huge impact on save percentage, but it's weird how his numbers plummeted as soon as he got to Philly. I guess the moral of the story here is "goaltending performance is really hard to accurately project, so don't chain yourself to a mega-deal with a goalie".

Speaking of which, Mike Gillis must be really pissed now that another team is going to sign Bryz and take themselves out of the Luongo market...

I pity whoever gets Bryzgalov. You can't have a headcase in your net if you want to be successful.

I dunno about that...Roy and Belfour have rings. I thought insanity was supposed to be a common trait among goalies....

There are always exceptions to the rule. Crazy guy like Smith had no business winning four cups in New York back in the 80's. He did have quite a supporting cast, though. So did Roy, and Belfour only won it once. When you look at the mental state of most of the successful goalies nowadays, it seems very stable.

How do you figure Smith had no business winning Cups? Supporting cast or not, the term "money goaltender" was coined with him in mind. The guy's won a Vezina, a Conn Smythe, and an All-Star Game MVP. And while his practice of never participating in the series-ending postgame handshake was rather odd, the whole "Battlin' Billy" thing was just him being a fierce competitor. Who wouldn't want that on their team, especially when it translates into multiple Cups?

I'm not saying he wasn't a great goaltender but you must admit he was a loose cannon, probably the dirtiest guy between the pipes ever. I'm thinking he would have a hard time winning anything with that attitude now.

I'm not saying he wasn't a great goaltender but you must admit he was a loose cannon, probably the dirtiest guy between the pipes ever. I'm thinking he would have a hard time winning anything with that attitude now.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what his attitude is as long as he stops more pucks than the other guy.
  • Like 1

I wouldn't call him a loose cannon. He knew exactly what he was doing. He just didn't take shit from anybody.

It was a different game back then. Lots of dirty players back in the '70s. The Flyers had a whole team full of 'em, and they won a couple of Cups. Billy Smith was just one of many, and calling him "dirty" is a bit of a stretch -- if you went into his crease, you got a stick to the shins. You stayed out, no problem. They didn't have the crease rules back then like they have now, so the goalies had to do their own policing. Some were more vigorous than others. ;)

In the end, it doesn't really matter what his attitude is as long as he stops more pucks than the other guy.

First of all, in these modern times, he would be putting his team in the penalty box a lot more. Second, he had a great D in front of him and third, he was a little off in the head, which would be a red flag for any team thinking about taking the risk of signing him.

I wouldn't call him a loose cannon. He knew exactly what he was doing. He just didn't take shit from anybody.

It was a different game back then. Lots of dirty players back in the '70s. The Flyers had a whole team full of 'em, and they won a couple of Cups. Billy Smith was just one of many, and calling him "dirty" is a bit of a stretch -- if you went into his crease, you got a stick to the shins. You stayed out, no problem. They didn't have the crease rules back then like they have now, so the goalies had to do their own policing. Some were more vigorous than others. ;)

But that's my point. I mean, I didn't see Esposito or Bannerman or Fuhr doing the stuff Smith did. I understand the crease thing but I could picture him pulling off the same stunts now and that would not sit well with present-day managers. :finbar:

But that's my point. I mean, I didn't see Esposito or Bannerman or Fuhr doing the stuff Smith did. I understand the crease thing but I could picture him pulling off the same stunts now and that would not sit well with present-day managers. :finbar:

No, not too many goalies were as free-wheeling with their stick as Smith was (if you came into his crease), but again, he played in an era with Dave Shultz, Bobby Clarke, Tiger Williams and Marty McSorley. Was Smith really that out of place playing amongst those guys? None of the guys I just mentioned would have a place in today's game. As I said, it was a different game back then -- we're talking forty years ago. Nowadays, guys like Matt Cooke stick out like a sore thumb.

I think you're making unnecessary comparisons between players from two completely different eras. Smith was a tough guy in a tough-guy league who happened to play goal, and could also stop the puck and win Cups and Vezinas and get into the Hall Of Fame. Bryz is just batshit crazy and plays goal like swiss cheese.

• Like 1

Avs have trade Shane O'Brien and David Jones to Calgary for Cory Sarich and Alex Tanguay. I'm so Effing stoked. We drop Jones who makes 4 mill a year for the next two years and managed to get 3 goals and 6 assists this year and we also drop O'Brien who was a healthy scratch for 20 games this year and replace them with Tanguay who would of been the 3rd place scorer on the avs this year.
  • Like 1

This rumor is getting air time where I live because of the London Knights connection - the Hawks are looking to move Dave Bolland because of salary cap issues. I hope not.

Yeah, I'd hate to lose him but it's the only way for us to have enough cash to sign some of the returning players. :(

Avs have trade Shane O'Brien and David Jones to Calgary for Cory Sarich and Alex Tanguay. I'm so Effing stoked. We drop Jones who makes 4 mill a year for the next two years and managed to get 3 goals and 6 assists this year and we also drop O'Brien who was a healthy scratch for 20 games this year and replace them with Tanguay who would of been the 3rd place scorer on the avs this year.

Wow. Is Jay Feaster trying to apologize for the O'Reilly offer sheet?

Re: the Smith/Bryz stuff: I agree that some of today's GMs would probably frown on Smith's stunts, and on Bryzgalov's antics. Some GMs also frown on celebrating goals too enthusiastically, or wearing numbers higher than 30. There's a lot of superstition in hockey, and a lot of focus on qualities that might not actually impact the outcome of games. I suspect Bryz's eccentricities fall into that category...after all, it's not like he was any less of a headcase when he was posting .920s and making the playoffs in Phoenix.

I'm hearing that Carcillo may have the Cup at the Rush concert tonight. :o

That might confuse three guys from Toronto!

Rush are well aware that Chicago has just won the Cup, and Geddy will no doubt acknowledge that tonight.

When I saw them on the MP tour at the Nassau Coliseum -- home of the Islanders -- Geddy said, "Nice to be here on the eve of another Stanley Cup!" which of course got a very loud reaction from the crowd. The show was on May 20, 1981, the night before the Isles beat the North Stars at home for Cup number two.

Any of you guys going to the show tonight?

Rush are well aware that Chicago has just won the Cup, and Geddy will no doubt acknowledge that tonight.

When I saw them on the MP tour at the Nassau Coliseum -- home of the Islanders -- Geddy said, "Nice to be here on the eve of another Stanley Cup!" which of course got a very loud reaction from the crowd. The show was on May 20, 1981, the night before the Isles beat the North Stars at home for Cup number two.

Any of you guys going to the show tonight?

My son and I are going to KC.

I'm late to getting back to this thread but I was so happy for Chicago to win. :yay: The Bruins are a tough team and they will be back. Anyone go to the parade today? That would be so great to see the Cup, it is an amazing trophy. Hope Rush does get to see it again, loved it when Neil got to pick it up when he recorded the Hockey Night in Canada song. :cheers: :yes:
  • Like 2