Power Metal Thread

Mr. Not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VXRAyP7kro

Doesn't sound like it will be as good as their debut, but still excited for it. I wasn't sure if we'd get another.

Unfortunately, the first half of this album is much stronger than the second. It's overall pretty good, but not as good as the debut as I predicted. Oh well, nice that they at least released something new.

New Blind Guardian album next month? Feb 2013 definitely is the best!

As previously reported, Blind Guardian will release A Traveler’s Guide To Space And Time next month, a limited edition 15 CD box set celebrating the first 25 years of the band that includes seven studio albums, the live albums Tokyo Tales and Live, and other goodies such as demo tapes, live rarities and extensive booklets with all tracks remastered and some even remixed. The band has now released a preview of eight songs that will be on that box set. You can see what to expect on the video below.

This edition will be limited to 8000 copies worldwide. Germany, Austria and Switzerland have a release date of February 1st, 2013 and the rest of the world on February 4th, 2013.

Album? That's a box set you f*cking idiot.

Kill yourself.

• Like 1

As for the actual new Blind Guardian album that was released late last year / early this... "Grand Parade" is a great closing song, and I'd dare to say that its chorus is one of the strongest, most emotional choruses out of all power metal.

I know.. This has turned into the "anticipating Pariah's Child" thread... Here's some samples to check out during the meantime:

http://us.7digital.c...pariahs-child-2

Take One Breath is beautiful! Why I consider Sonata the highest form of music... That's just me though.Larger than life is sure to be an interesting track!

A high* form of music ;)

Anyway, Sonata Arctica has become quite the hit band here on this forum recently I've noticed.

Segue, how do you manage to be so persuasive?

• Like 1

I know.. This has turned into the "anticipating Pariah's Child" thread... Here's some samples to check out during the meantime:

http://us.7digital.c...pariahs-child-2

Take One Breath is beautiful! Why I consider Sonata the highest form of music... That's just me though.Larger than life is sure to be an interesting track!

A high* form of music ;)

Anyway, Sonata Arctica has become quite the hit band here on this forum recently I've noticed.

Segue, how do you manage to be so persuasive?

I HAVE NO IDEA!

Well I listen to so many different things, I was bound to get it right sooner or later!

I have even noticed some Nightwish loving...someone other than me actually raved about Tuomas Holopainen's solo album, and it wasn't me! (Although I do rave about it!).

Sonata Arctica are a band I love because they shy away from all the dragons and pixies lyrics that so many power metal bands do. Nightwish use fantasy imagery metaphorically, so they too are an exception.

I love Power Metal!

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

Try Sonata Arctica

I love Power Metal!

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

Try Sonata Arctica

All right

Try the album Reckoning Night.

I love Helloween the most, but I also love Gamma Ray,Pink Cream 69,and Savatage!

Ooh I might try Pink Cream 69. I like Savatage. Wasn't aware they were power metal. Any album to recommend?

• Like 1

I love Helloween the most, but I also love Gamma Ray,Pink Cream 69,and Savatage!

Ooh I might try Pink Cream 69. I like Savatage. Wasn't aware they were power metal. Any album to recommend?

I have not heard them much so I do not know albums to recommend, Sorry.

I'm sure I can find out something!

I will post back what I find. I think Day Of Light enjoys power metal as well!!

• Like 1

I'm sure I can find out something!

I will post back what I find. I think Day Of Light enjoys power metal as well!!

:)

Savatage was power metal on their really early stuff. But as their sound progressed they were more a mixture of power, traditional and progressive. I've always found their sound a bit difficult to put into one genre. That's probably why they were never as popular as they could have been. They really didn't fit one label and it hurt their marketing a bit. They are metal but what kind of metal was always the question. I'd say they certainly became more prog as time went by.

Albums to check out:

Hall Of The Mountain King

Gutter Ballet

Streets: A Rock Opera

Edge Of Thorns

I think that's the band's best album run.

on Edge Of Thorns, original singer and main songwriter Jon Oliva decided to just concentrate on the music and not sing anymore. Zachary Stevens took over as the singer and is a great vocalist. That album is fantastic and the band lost nothing by making that move.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Savatage was power metal on their really early stuff. But as their sound progressed they were more a mixture of power, traditional and progressive. I've always found their sound a bit difficult to put into one genre. That's probably why they were never as popular as they could have been. They really didn't fit one label and it hurt their marketing a bit. They are metal but what kind of metal was always the question. I'd say they certainly became more prog as time went by.

Albums to check out:

Gutter Ballet

Edge Of Thorns

on Edge Of Thorns, original singer and main songwriter Jon Oliva decided to just concentrate on the music and not sing anymore. Zachary Stevens took over as the singer and is a great vocalist. That album is fantastic and the band lost nothing by making that move.

I played a few songs the other day and they sounded like Dokken or Poison type cheese but I am looking forward to trying these out! Good to know they were more than just extremely good ballad writers.

Albums to check out:

Gutter Ballet

Edge Of Thorns

I played a few songs the other day and they sounded like Dokken or Poison type cheese but I am looking forward to trying these out! Good to know they were more than just extremely good ballad writers.

Not sure where you're getting Dokken and Poison comparisons from? Are you sure you're talking about the right band here?

Ballad writers? I don't think Savatage is well known for that either.

Albums to check out:

Gutter Ballet

Edge Of Thorns

Not sure where you're getting Dokken and Poison comparisons from? Are you sure you're talking about the right band here?

Ballad writers? I don't think Savatage is well known for that either.

Let me check...I have my doubts I'm talking about the right band as well based on your description haha!

Savatage- When The Crowds Are Gone

Sounds like Poison singing a Meat Loaf song.

I get the Meat Loaf vibe from the song but there is nothing Poison about them. When did Poison ever sound like that or even come close to writing lyrics as good as that?

I get the Meat Loaf vibe from the song but there is nothing Poison about them. When did Poison ever sound like that or even come close to writing lyrics as good as that?

I didn't think it was lyrically that amazing...it's just a nice song...

It reminds me of Every Rose Has Its Thorn.

I've always loved the lyrics to the song.

Don't hear Every Rose in the song. My friend's favorite band is Savatage and he also likes Poison and i've never heard him talk about any connection in their sound before. In fact, i've never heard anyone make that comparison before.

But i'm not at all surprised that you're the first one to somehow hear a connection between these two polar opposite bands :LOL:

I've always loved the lyrics to the song.

Don't hear Every Rose in the song. My friend's favorite band is Savatage and he also likes Poison and i've never heard him talk about any connection in their sound before. In fact, i've never heard anyone make that comparison before.

But i'm not at all surprised that you're the first one to somehow hear a connection between these two polar opposite bands :LOL:

Nah its fine I have said before often I hear a band for the first time and I take a while to get them. The song seemed to be pretty straightforward eighties metal ballad territory and I'm not saying Poison specifically but along those lines.

But who knows?! First time I played Yes I thought they sounded exactly like jazz fusion. Which I still sort of hear...

• Like 1