Moving Pictures/Power Windows/Counterparts

Fiddles

Reading all the threads guessing about the next tour got me thinking. It seems that they've recently focused their last few tours around their most popular 70s album and now they are focusing on their most popular 80s album. Possibly the next tour will focus on their most popular 90s album. Counterparts seems to be that album. Offbase? Edited by Fiddles

QUOTE (Fiddles @ Oct 6 2012, 07:16 PM)
Possibly the next tour will focus on their most popular 90s album. Counterparts seems to be that album.  Offbase?

Totally off base, but I'd rather see them focus on Counterparts than either Roll the Bones or Test for Echo.

laugh.gif

I'd say that Roll The Bones is their most popular 90's record as it was their last platinum record. I think amongst online fans here and other places, Counterparts usually ranks a little higher than RTB and T4E...but, sales wise and overall success goes to Bones.

I don't see them concentrating on 90's stuff anyway in the near future. I am a bit of a 90's Rush fan, though (especially T4E). That's the era that I became a fan and a new Rush record was fresh, new current music to me.... I hadn't yet started thinking about "old" Rush like the people who became fans in the 70's and 80's and weren't feeling 90's Rush.

I don't think they'll be concentrating on any particular album on any upcoming tours. The only reason (I believe) they did the whole MP album on the TMT is because is it by far, their most popular album selling close to 8 million copies world-wide.

The tour was a look back at "time" and their biggest album was featured.

That is, of course, is there is another tour. These guys are 60 now... I wouldn't blame them one bit if they retire and spend the rest of their time (and money) with their families. They've earned, I'd say!!

I think after the CA tours are finished, if they tour again, I'd be surprised if they focus on one particular album unless they record another new one. I have a feeling they will keep touring as long as they are physically able. Neil has alluded in interviews and writings that the CA songs were "meant to be played live, over and over, for years," and that he can't afford to maintain his current lifestyle if he retires. Sounds hard to believe, but not everyone who makes a lot of money is able to hang onto it all, and Neil mentioned being talked into some bad financial moves in Roadshow (most notably that giant wooden sailing ship).

Regardless, it's questionable how much longer they can endure the rigors of touring and performing. They could lessen the strain with a more relaxed schedule with lots of breaks and days off, but then the tours get more expensive as crew, etc. need to be kept on payroll longer with fewer dates. So it gets dicey. Geddy has commented that touring takes a lot out of him. I can only imagine pouncing and running around like that onstage at 60 with a great big chunk of wood slung around my neck for 2-3 hours at a clip.

Power Windows their most popular 80s album? Not that I don't like that record, but even if you don't count Moving Pictures as an 80s record (for which there's no clear reason), this title would almost certainly go to Signals. I'd prefer Grace Under Pressure, though. Power Windows would even rank behind Presto and Hold Your Fire for me. In fact, they did only good albums in the 80s. Of which PW is certainly not their most popular.

[That said, I love the setlist and I'm looking forward to the German concerts in 2013!]

Edited by barchetta90480

Well, I'm just one out of many, but Animate has been on each of my compilations since ... as their best 90s tune. Cut to the Chase, Leave That Thing Alone, Between the Sun and Moon and Cold Fire are pretty frequent too. Which doesn't mean they have to play them all during the next tour. Cut to the Chase alone will do.

QUOTE (Sin City @ Oct 7 2012, 04:25 PM)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Counterparts is shite. Great mix and sound but crap songs. None of the songs on this album would make it onto many peoples best of Rush compilation CD.  wtf.gif

waffen093.gif

Counterparts is awesome! yes.gif 1287.gif

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

I find it tough to quantify Rush by decades, although their "changes" seemed to occur each decade. I liken them to software that has come in several versions. Version 1.0 is pre-2112, then Version 2.0 began with 2112 and ended with Hemispheres and so on. To me, beginning with "Presto" and up until S&A, the guys were sort of like Microsoft's Vista software-some good stuff but a period many just can't embrace the way they did the first iterations.

QUOTE (HalfwayToGone @ Oct 8 2012, 07:20 AM)
Don't forget "Stick It Out." Great song.

yes.gif 1022.gif

Since it's been played recently and if they happen to feature Counterparts in the future (meaning about 4 songs), I would be happy with Animate, Cut To The Chase, Between Sun and Moon, Alien Shore.